atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Last night I had parked my truck outside in about 30F for about six hours. About 8 or so minutes out from reaching the truck I turned on the heater. For a lark I also turned on my seat heater and the steering wheel heater from the latest app. I didn’t expect those to work but to my surprise they lit up in the app.

So I get to the truck, and not only is it nice & warm, but to my surprise the heated seats & wheel were also on, even though I don’t have the latest firmware in the truck.

I start driving & immediately get a “System Fault/service your vehicle” (red truck w/exclamation point telltale), and shortly thereafter the heater starts blowing outside temperature air.

I called Rivian, the agent didn’t see anything serious in the telemetry. He had me do all the resets to try and get the heat back…that cleared the telltale but still no heat. A sleep cycle overnight didn’t fix it either. So I’m waiting for Rivian to analyze the telemetry in more depth & get back to me.

I’m wondering if there’s a valve that’s failed & maybe that’s what caused the telltale. Just hoping whatever it is can be fixed by a mobile tech, not looking to a (cold!) 3 hour drive to Brooklyn.
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I've been using my remote heat too and now this is giving me a second thought to doing so.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
This is what you get for wanting a warm ass.🔥

I’m sorry man. Hopefully it’s a simple fix.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Last night I had parked my truck outside in about 30F for about six hours. About 8 or so minutes out from reaching the truck I turned on the heater. For a lark I also turned on my seat heater and the steering wheel heater from the latest app. I didn’t expect those to work but to my surprise they lit up in the app.

So I get to the truck, and not only is it nice & warm, but to my surprise the heated seats & wheel were also on, even though I don’t have the latest firmware in the truck.

I start driving & immediately get a “System Fault/service your vehicle” (red truck w/exclamation point telltale), and shortly thereafter the heater starts blowing outside temperature air.

I called Rivian, the agent didn’t see anything serious in the telemetry. He had me do all the resets to try and get the heat back…that cleared the telltale but still no heat. A sleep cycle overnight didn’t fix it either. So I’m waiting for Rivian to analyze the telemetry in more depth & get back to me.

I’m wondering if there’s a valve that’s failed & maybe that’s what caused the telltale. Just hoping whatever it is can be fixed by a mobile tech, not looking to a (cold!) 3 hour drive to Brooklyn.
It could also be a temp failed sensor that controls the climate.

My truck routinely has no heat - and like you I have no desire to drive into Brooklyn. It ends up flipping off and on randomly even on the same drive and you can smell and feel the difference. Having HVAC on is often worse as it pulls outside air in.

I just end up using heated seats and steering wheel right now along with body heat. Gotta stay green right? It’s times like these that I’m glad I bought a luxury vehicle..

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I've been using my remote heat too and now this is giving me a second thought to doing so.
I use the remote heat from app all the time before leaving. I wouldn't worry about it. It's a function of the truck so use it.

Sponsored

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

Yea, I turn on climate, heated seats & wheel every day, I don't think it's anything related to the app, just a normal failure... I really hope they can fix it for you with mobile techs, that drive to Brooklyn isn't all that fun.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I find sometimes i have to use the auto button on the climate controls to kick in the heat.

OP
OP
atebit

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I find sometimes i have to use the auto button on the climate controls to kick in the heat.
In fact, the agents on the service line had me switch between Auto on/off/on several times to see if that would get it going. We had a good laugh about the HVAC UI, “which shade of gray is on??” :). Best way to tell is to look for the “A” next to the fan setting.

Anyway, it didn’t help.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

In fact, the agents on the service line had me switch between Auto on/off/on several times to see if that would get it going. We had a good laugh about the HVAC UI, “which shade of gray is on??” :). Best way to tell is to look for the “A” next to the fan setting.

Anyway, it didn’t help.
Yeah the climate controls suck, but are pretty on par for the last 2 vehicles I've had, sadly.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
The update allows for cooling. Heat has always worked via the app.

Sponsored

OP
OP
atebit

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Heard back from Service, of course mobile is not an option, it’s got to into teh big city. Work plan calls for “replacing HVAC”. :oops:

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

Heard back from Service, of course mobile is not an option, it’s got to into teh big city. Work plan calls for “replacing HVAC”. :oops:
Oof, sorry that sucks. Something like that is currently my biggest worry with having a Rivian. Something that makes it not useable, but still drivable, so towing would at your expense, or drive to friendly NYC.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI

That's a new one - I really wish there was some more detail on what went wrong in these cases because seeing major systems fail and "service your vehicle" isn't helpful when you're nowhere near it.

I've left mine in the cold at 0 and below overnight and it's worked perfect every start, but sometimes the HVAC handling is odd (like starts being 'cold' unless you click it up another notch or something), I don't know if the car 'overheats' the cabin and then tries to cool it off which is stupid when its freezing out.

OP
OP
atebit

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Maybe there will be more detail on the completed work order than just “R/R HVAC”. 🍿

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Maybe there will be more detail on the completed work order than just “R/R HVAC”. 🍿
“R/R” = rest and relaxation?
Sponsored