Sponsored

SUMMON FEATURE: Do we know if the Riv's will have it??

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Rather than summon, a feature to help you find it in a parking lot would be fine, by me...

Its a Rivian! You should be looking back at least 3 or 4 times as you are walking away from the car! It will stick out like a sore thumb! haha.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
We're farmers and when driving equipment out in the field and stopping for lunch, or at the end of the day, we have to call someone to come pick us up and/or take us out. That costs us extra time, fuel and people to get that done on a regular basis. Yes, we could walk and, yes, we do that often, but when it's 105*F outside that can even be dangerous at our age. If we could drive out, park the Riv, work the field then summon the Riv to come pick us up 2 miles down the road, that would be a big help. There are other uses for the summons feature on the farm. Not only would it be nice to have, it could save us a little money as well.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
@Lil'O Annie, sounds like your use case would require full autonomy of the vehicle pretty much as you would have to let it drive on its own for a couple miles without any supervision.
This kind of feature is not offered by anyone at this moment and it's unlikely to appear in next couple years.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Keep in mind that the Rivians will be offering Level 2 autonomy with the hope of Level 3 soon. Having the vehicle able to operate itself without driver require Level 5.

For comparison: Tesla offers a Summon feature which sort of works in parking lots without a driver. It uses GP/GLONASSS to come to your cell phone and its cameras and sonic sensors to avoid hitting stuff in the way. It doesn't work very well and that's because GPS often isn't that good.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
Tesla offers a Summon feature which sort of works in parking lots without a driver
I think it's also worth mentioning that feature has following limitations:
- It's limited to a couple hundred feet (200 ft. if I remember correctly)
- Manual says that you have to watch the car all the time and be ready to take control
- The speed is limited (4 mph?) and with all the maneuvering included it's just faster to walk to the car

Sponsored

joel_Dman

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kona EV, Bolt EV.
Have a model 3 with FSD, nice to use and gets better every month or so. I can see Rivian putting out alot of features that Model 3 has. (hopefully) but Summon fails a fair amount and you have basically assume it will make a mistake now and be happy if it doesn't its fun in parking lots etc, and will get better, but that video shows that the operator did not know its limitations and now had to pay for that mistake. Any function the Rivian brings in, be cautious till you know its limitations for sure. I can see it driving down a road and picking you up, but that would be a few years after they have thousands of trucks on the road with serious data, and reliability. Rivians a good mix of the big 3, and Tesla, willing to try new things, but does not make as many risk taking moves as Tesla, I hope the sweet spot :)

DigiMark

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 JK Wrangler 2 door, '07 Mercedes ML320CDI.
I thought "Summon Feature" was a Harry Potter-like thread talking about which features we'd like to have on the R1T. Bawahahaha.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Just having the ability to pull it straight forwards or backwards from the app would be nice however, in case of tight parking spots.
I second this - I have a very narrow garage, and I'm almost positive I will not be able to open the vehicle doors wide enough to comfortably get in and out. Having the ability to pull the vehicle straight forward or backward via the app would be an immense help. My garage is detached so I don't have to go in there anyway (except to plug in whenever that's necessary). Looks like VW is doing something similar as part of their parking package:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I second this - I have a very narrow garage, and I'm almost positive I will not be able to open the vehicle doors wide enough to comfortably get in and out. Having the ability to pull the vehicle straight forward or backward via the app would be an immense help. My garage is detached so I don't have to go in there anyway (except to plug in whenever that's necessary). Looks like VW is doing something similar as part of their parking package:
Not sure how that will work in really tight spaces if they have proximity sensors/warnings.

Had one of our members bring his Model X to the EV showcase at the Auto Show. It was in one of the back rooms of the Convention Center which required navigating down a hallway with various jogs and intrusions. At times he had >2" on either side (with the mirrors folded). His car was screaming at him nearly the whole time. They person guiding him had been doing it for more that ten years, so he was in good hands. Sweat was literally running down his face when he finally got in and parked. They had to put the rear wheels on dollies to swing it enough to make the turn into the room.

Long story to point out the vehicle may refuse to pull into a spot that is too tight.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Not sure how that will work in really tight spaces if they have proximity sensors/warnings.

Had one of our members bring his Model X to the EV showcase at the Auto Show. It was in one of the back rooms of the Convention Center which required navigating down a hallway with various jogs and intrusions. At times he had >2" on either side (with the mirrors folded). His car was screaming at him nearly the whole time. They person guiding him had been doing it for more that ten years, so he was in good hands. Sweat was literally running down his face when he finally got in and parked. They had to put the rear wheels on dollies to swing it enough to make the turn into the room.

Long story to point out the vehicle may refuse to pull into a spot that is too tight.
2” is extreme! I probably have at least a foot on either side which makes for an uncomfortable entry and exit, but is probably sufficient for a vehicle’s sensors to not go haywire.
Sponsored