Sponsored

Sub-Zero Headwind Road Trip... How much of a Riviot can I be?

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Also, I charge at 7kW in my driveway but it is slow going. don't expect to get from 0 to 100 overnight at that speed! Maybe you will get from 0 up to 60%.
I plan on hitting a local 50kW DCFC near No-Li Brewing while we get drinks and dindin to boost us up higher, then let level 2 top it up overnight.
Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Go for it! It'd be boring if not for the challenge!
My experience is range stays pretty good if you start with preconditioned battery and time 100% SOC just prior to departure.
Also, high profile vehicles may be your friend if range gets tight. I've gained 16 miles of buffer by following one for 30 minutes in Driver+ with closest following distance.

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

I'll start by answering my own question: "No, you idiot sandwich."

Question: should I start this road trip tomorrow?
-Seattle area -> Spokane, WA (20°F with 15mph headwind)
-Stay overnight, parked outside, 6.5kW charger
-Spokane, WA -> Kalispell, MT (10°F dropping to 0°F on arrival, 15mph headwind)

ABRP tells me to charge to 100% in Smelterville and drive under 70mph to make it. How much of a Riviot can I be?
I’m currently in Rathdrum ID. Will be returning to Seattle tomorrow morning. Looks like it will be 1 F when we leave. ABRP shows just a stop in Ellensburg. When we came over Sunday it was in the 40s with a bit of a head wind. I am interested to see the difference the temp will make. I’m planning to drive it as normal(for me)…meaning heater set to 72 and driving at 72 mph. If it looks iffy a quick top up at the EA station in Ritzville will get me to Ellensburg no problem. The preplanning you are doing clearly takes you out of the idiot category! I’m sure it will be fine. Relish the challenge.

Hayden123982

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Honda CRV
I plan on hitting a local 50kW DCFC near No-Li Brewing while we get drinks and dindin to boost us up higher, then let level 2 top it up overnight.
Skip No Li and get some actual good beer at Whistle Punk. You can get some really good food from Heritage too. Heritage is in the same building and will walk the food over to Whistle Punk

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I’m currently in Rathdrum ID. Will be returning to Seattle tomorrow morning. Looks like it will be 1 F when we leave. ABRP shows just a stop in Ellensburg. When we came over Sunday it was in the 40s with a bit of a head wind. I am interested to see the difference the temp will make. I’m planning to drive it as normal(for me)…meaning heater set to 72 and driving at 72 mph. If it looks iffy a quick top up at the EA station in Ritzville will get me to Ellensburg no problem. The preplanning you are doing clearly takes you out of the idiot category! I’m sure it will be fine. Relish the challenge.
You're going net downhill, will have a tailwind, and likely better aero in the R1S. Hope to see you on the road! Look for the Rivian wink/spiderman point! 😉🫵

Sponsored

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

M
You're going net downhill, will have a tailwind, and likely better aero in the R1S. Hope to see you on the road! Look for the Rivian wink/spiderman point! 😉🫵
My hope is down hill with a tail wind offsets cold as hell. Looking for at least the performance I got on the way over. I will keep and eye out for ya. Safe travels.

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

We're doing it! Started out hyper miling with heat off, 65-70mph, low ride height, conserve for everything but Snoqualmie Pass (need that power to pass semi trucks and idjits).

We got to Ellensburg Taco Bell averaging 1.9mi/kWh and beating both Rivian and ABRP predictions... Then we hit the headwind. Predictions to Ritzville kept dropping as we drove, as well as the temps. Bottomed out at 1.36mi/kWh with no heat and 70mph.

Rivian R1T R1S Sub-Zero Headwind Road Trip... How much of a Riviot can I be? PXL_20230223_023710822

Currently 14°F leaving Ritzville, averaging 1.73 mi/kWh. Got up to 91% while we filled up on some strong margaritas at Mi Jalisco! Don't worry, Gary is driving 🥴

Rivian R1T R1S Sub-Zero Headwind Road Trip... How much of a Riviot can I be? PXL_20230223_042152209~2

Only annoyance so far, EA thinks we're still plugged in. I stopped in the truck and on the charger, but the app thinks we're still there... "Stop charging" in the app doesn't do anything. Tried restarting the app and my phone. Should I care?

Rivian R1T R1S Sub-Zero Headwind Road Trip... How much of a Riviot can I be? Screenshot_20230222-203840

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Never experienced that. Safe travels…keep us updated

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

We're doing it! Started out hyper miling with heat off, 65-70mph, low ride height, conserve for everything but Snoqualmie Pass (need that power to pass semi trucks and idjits).

We got to Ellensburg Taco Bell averaging 1.9mi/kWh and beating both Rivian and ABRP predictions... Then we hit the headwind. Predictions to Ritzville kept dropping as we drove, as well as the temps. Bottomed out at 1.36mi/kWh with no heat and 70mph.

PXL_20230223_023710822.jpg

Currently 14°F leaving Ritzville, averaging 1.73 mi/kWh. Got up to 91% while we filled up on some strong margaritas at Mi Jalisco! Don't worry, Gary is driving 🥴

PXL_20230223_042152209~2.jpg

Only annoyance so far, EA thinks we're still plugged in. I stopped in the truck and on the charger, but the app thinks we're still there... "Stop charging" in the app doesn't do anything. Tried restarting the app and my phone. Should I care?

Screenshot_20230222-203840.png
Way to go! I heard somewhere that if that EA app error doesn’t clear, it may impede your ability to initiate charging at the next EA charger.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

PXL_20230223_023710822.jpg

PXL_20230223_042152209~2.jpg

Screenshot_20230222-203840.png
To get the ~290mi @70mph you need to set the reference speed on abrp to about 2.65 mi/kwh. I usually use 2.5 for a little bit of buffer and it works well for AP mode.

Fair warning, I havent been able to test how well ABRP does with temps for the truck. It is more sensitive to speed than the truc actually is, so I suspect it will over predict wind impacts.

That EA bug has happened since November. Worse case, pay with a CC. I had to use the app with nfc in November to get it to work. Others have had luck just plugging in. In November EA wasn't able to cancel my session a day later. So... who the F knows. It's totally BS that they haven't fixed this yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

EA error cleared itself at some point last night. I'm very glad we stopped for dinner in Ritzville and let it charge as much as possible. The hotel we normally stay at in Spokane use to have independent 6kW free chargers decided to "upgrade" to the ChargePoint shared 6.5kW chargers with a $.17/kWh fee. So I shared with a Chevy Volt last night that came on every hour to trickle charge and brought us down to 3kW rate periodically. Coming in at 60%, we're finally in the 90% range 10 hours later. I'm fine paying for the power, but give us the juice! 3kW doesn't cut it. Might be switching Spokane loyalties.

It's gonna be a chilly start to this single digit morning! Snow on the road at Lookout Pass. Look out, truckers!
Rivian R1T R1S Sub-Zero Headwind Road Trip... How much of a Riviot can I be? Screenshot_20230223-055233~2

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I'll second the EA bug. They never fixed it on my end until I got a new phone. Tap to charge worked great even with the session bug.

Ever since, I stop charging from the App.

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Made it to Kalispell with 18%! We charged to 95% in Smelterville and planned to do Conserve/lowest/no heat for as long as possible... Then the windshield started to freeze and we hit lots of ice going up Lookout pass. Ended up in Snow/Low/70°F till Paradise going 45-60mph. 0°F at Lookout Summit with the wind whipping and single digits since. It was even icier along the Clark fork!

Overall, averaged 1.75 mi/kWh from Gig Harbor to Kalispell. 10/10 would do it again! This is likely the worst conditions we'll ever see, even so the Grinch hit 2.2mi/kWh at 65mph with 20" ATs in the valley. The entire trip was confidence inspiring, just wish St Regis would get a charging station already! Rivian pulled the RAN there from their map, so that's fun.

Now if only they'll open the lifts at Whitefish... Apparently -47°F windchill isn't safe?

zpowell

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Yukon
Occupation
Pilot
Off topic here, but had a question about the ABRP efficiency number. When it asks for mi/kWh @ 65 mph does it need the number that I usually get on the highway. I drive 75-80mph and usually see 1.5 - 1.65 mi/KWh when it’s as cold as it is. Or do I need to figure out and input what the Rivian will do at 65mph and ABRB will figure out what my efficiency will be driving at the speed limit of the route? Thanks.

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Off topic here, but had a question about the ABRP efficiency number. When it asks for mi/kWh @ 65 mph does it need the number that I usually get on the highway. I drive 75-80mph and usually see 1.5 - 1.65 mi/KWh when it’s as cold as it is. Or do I need to figure out and input what the Rivian will do at 65mph and ABRB will figure out what my efficiency will be driving at the speed limit of the route? Thanks.
I use 2.1 mi/kWh in there. I think it wants your true 65mph avg at normal temps. You can manually put in your driving speed and it'll tell you the impact. You can also manually enter wind and temps, or let it get local info.

Rivian R1T R1S Sub-Zero Headwind Road Trip... How much of a Riviot can I be? Screenshot_20230223-161516

Rivian R1T R1S Sub-Zero Headwind Road Trip... How much of a Riviot can I be? Screenshot_20230223-161529

Rivian R1T R1S Sub-Zero Headwind Road Trip... How much of a Riviot can I be? Screenshot_20230223-161552

Rivian R1T R1S Sub-Zero Headwind Road Trip... How much of a Riviot can I be? Screenshot_20230223-161611
Sponsored