Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

Embrace the adventure. I flew to Denver for pick up and drove to SF day 1. Truck was amazing and charging was graceful enough. One recommendation, I bought Track Armour tape on AMZN and wrapped a few key spots on the front to guard against rock chips. Worked perfectly. Got the truck fully wrapped a few weeks later. good luck
Great recommendation. Thanks. I am considering wrapping, but have never done it on prior vehicles. I personally donā€™t mind a little road rash on my vehicle, and donā€™t plan on selling soon. Ever since I bought my first car, I have a ritual of finding an obscure spot and giving the vehicle its first scratch/dent. Amount of damage and location dependent on vehicle. Takes the sting out of the first real scratch or dent. And perfect can be boring.

I think I just talked myself out of a wrap.
Sponsored

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

One note I'll add that I didn't see already mentioned: our T was delivered with a faulty DC charging module and it took 3+ weeks to fix.
That is to say, grab one of the inspection checklists (like this one) and go through it carefully if you aren't giving yourself any shakeout time before your epic adventure.
My own experience notwithstanding, I'd do it in your shoes and our T has been flawless since we got it back.

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Not crazy at all - I second everything that has been said already. When I plan my route I have a plan "B" just in case the charger I planned to stop at is not available.

OP
OP
Swilly

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
Clubs

One note I'll add that I didn't see already mentioned: our T was delivered with a faulty DC charging module and it took 3+ weeks to fix.
That is to say, grab one of the inspection checklists (like this one) and go through it carefully if you aren't giving yourself any shakeout time before your epic adventure.
My own experience notwithstanding, I'd do it in your shoes and our T has been flawless since we got it back.
Thanks for this. It hasnā€™t been said but should be considered. Besides the spare, this is on my mind. Not common, but issues like yours happen and that would definitely ruin my trip. I was considering asking them to charge it up to 95% to save me time charging at home while I load it up. This would also let me test that everything is working properly from a charging perspective. Checklist is a great idea. Thanks again.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Thanks for this. It hasnā€™t been said but should be considered. Besides the spare, this is on my mind. Not common, but issues like yours happen and that would definitely ruin my trip. I was considering asking them to charge it up to 95% to save me time charging at home while I load it up. This would also let me test that everything is working properly from a charging perspective. Checklist is a great idea. Thanks again.
They usually charge it up anyway. Hopefully your service center has a DCFC like Bellevue does. That should rule out any potential DC module issues.

Sponsored

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

Since this is your first EV? It's very very smart to fly your family to destination. That way you can enjoy the adventure without someone (there's always one) complaining about something.

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement, advice and well wishes. I am absolutely going for it and will report my success and subsequent east coast debauchery.
To echo others, definitely go for it. If you need somebody to hold your beer, I've got you.

Seriously, I picked up my R1S more than 700 miles from home, and my appointment literally coincided with the start of a winter storm warning. I drove the 700 miles in high headwinds/crosswinds (that peaked at 50 mph), snow, rain, temps right at freezing, flooded roadways, trees down, and semitrailers turned over. Made it home in one very long day, with no real glitches.

Last edited:

UhOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf
OP: did your SC ask you to pay in full now, since they're holding it a full month? I can't take delivery right away and my SC is asking me to do that (surely for the end of quarter push). I'm happy to do it but do not want to jeopardize my ability to return the car if there are issues the first 7 days after I pick it up...

OP
OP
Swilly

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
Clubs

OP: did your SC ask you to pay in full now, since they're holding it a full month? I can't take delivery right away and my SC is asking me to do that (surely for the end of quarter push). I'm happy to do it but do not want to jeopardize my ability to return the car if there are issues the first 7 days after I pick it up...
They did not seek any payment or assurances. No pressure at all.

OP
OP
Swilly

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
Clubs

So I completed the trip (58 hours including sleeps) and returned the R1S to its true owner, which is apparently my wife. Learned so much and completely fell in love with it. Would have appreciated receiving the update before my trip instead of upon arriving in Boston, but I still made it. Some slight scares in KS on day 1, but day 2 and 3 were nearly flawless. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

Here is the wife, happy to have her 5th child back safely.

Rivian R1T R1S Stupid Idea? Probably 0075CA41-98B3-4045-AC50-DF28AD92FFE6
Sponsored