Sponsored

State EV Fees -

SamDoe1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Ford GT350
Clubs

MN registration renewal for my R1T was right around $900. They only charge $75 for the EV fee, the rest is based on the vehicle value, age, and a bunch of the usual random fees and other BS that comes with this stuff. The vehicle value/age fee goes down by 10% of the value each year until it gets to some minimum.
Sponsored

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Also just a head's up in case it happens to you. I did not get my registration renewal in the mail like normal. I'm guessing it had something to do with the company that Rivian hires to do the reg. I had to contact the DMV during the month of the renewal and they had to prepare the documents for me via email.
Thank you. I'm glad you told me this because I'm definitely due (13months was last reg) and with my other car i get a letter from the DMV 3 months out.

VC_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mitsubishi 3000GT Spyder
Occupation
Worker
Anyone in the People's Republic of California want to chime in? I haven't had my renewal yet but I bet it's going to be one of the highest in the US.
First-time EV and truck owner, I also wonder what the CA cost will be.

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
First-time EV and truck owner, I also wonder what the CA cost will be.
$1,345 !!

I'm leaving CA in the summer so hopefully I'll get some of that back.

boxedlunch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Preorder R1S
The $200 EV fees in TX are waived for Disabled Veterans who register their EVs as their primary (fee free) vehicle. If this applies to you, it's better to make sure you have your plates situation figured out before delivery vs after.

Story Time:
I took delivery of my R1S in TX back in November. At delivery, Rivian's backend paperwork/registration team lacked familiarity with the process for transferring DV plates from one vehicle to another in TX. Their hangup (in my case) was that my "primary" fee free DV plate was registered to a vehicle titled in both my and my spouse's name. Since my R1S was going to be titled in my name only, their brains exploded. Rather than delay delivery, I gave them permission to initiate a new TX registration and I told them I'd try to fix things on the back end.

Fast forward a bit over a month. New plates arrived in the mail and the $200 EV fee was listed on the title application receipt. I then drove to the local county tax office and had them do a plate exchange from my old ride. Because the specialty DV plate was assigned to me as the disabled veteran and not to me + the spouse, even though we're both on the registration as vehicle owners, there was no issue with transferring the plate. It took 5 minutes and $3. Bring cash or they'll hit you with a $3 CC fee. **Make sure you request to keep the voided registration sticker for the next step**

Finally, I went to my regional TX DMV office, brought my voided Registration sticker & related registration documents, and asked for them to process a refund for the EV fee. Took them a while to figure things out, but apparently I'll get a check in the mail soon (has to be processed by the TX county tax office that originally assessed the fee...in my case Montgomery County even though I live in the Austin area).

All in all, a pain in the ass + a few hours of my life for $200...though the present value of the effort looks better the longer I stay in TX.
Sponsored