First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
That's awesome! Perhaps AK is like us here in CO - favoring SUVs over pickups?

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

Too funny. Yesterday I was at the Rivian Service Center in Denver. Got back home to Fairbanks, AK, and look what is charging at one of the Fast chargers!
E3ACE76D-B84D-40A1-A999-DCAFF7B9E268.jpeg
Fairbanks! My hometown... nice to see Rivian is testing up in Alaska!

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Great find but cold weather testing would have been done on the R1T and that conveys over to the S since it is the same batteries, electronics etc. the differences are relatively minor with a third row and a larger tailgate.

Sponsored

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

Even the Rivian team removes the 21” aero covers.

Reactions: Bee

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

Great find but cold weather testing would have been done on the R1T and that conveys over to the S since it is the same batteries, electronics etc. the differences are relatively minor with a third row and a larger tailgate.
Manufacturers don't just do cold weather testing once and call it done, they do it every year. I worked for a vehicle testing firm from 2002 -2009, we tested in Fairbanks, AK (Maricopa, AZ in the summers for warm weather testing) every year from October thru March for several vehicle manufactures, many times testing the same vehicles as years previous with little to no major changes. Some vehicles are whole car tests, others are just chassis tests, others are drivetrain tests where the manufacturer wants the vehicle driven to 100K or 200K miles and returned to be taken apart to see what the wear and tear was over that time.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
I wonder why it’s still wearing camouflage. Could they be testing a dual motor variant?

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
I wonder why it’s still wearing camouflage. Could they be testing a dual motor variant?
Probably just never took off the wrap. Would be odd to require a wrap for a dual-motor vehicle that is identical on the outside. And I imagine testing is still limited to launch configurations given how early in the process we are, especially for the R1S.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The r1T they use for LiDAR mapping is still wrapped.

the wraps used for camo tend to be stickier stuff than what’s used for graphics, and can be on for a couple of years can take pain with it on removal ?

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Manufacturers don't just do cold weather testing once and call it done, they do it every year. I worked for a vehicle testing firm from 2002 -2009, we tested in Fairbanks, AK (Maricopa, AZ in the summers for warm weather testing) every year from October thru March for several vehicle manufactures, many times testing the same vehicles as years previous with little to no major changes. Some vehicles are whole car tests, others are just chassis tests, others are drivetrain tests where the manufacturer wants the vehicle driven to 100K or 200K miles and returned to be taken apart to see what the wear and tear was over that time.
Always fun seeing camo’d prototypes on the road to tortilla flat ?

Reactions: lmr
OP
OP
mattgray600

mattgray600

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LE R1T, 2023 BMW X3
Occupation
IT Director
That is what I was wondering too! It was locked with no-one around it. I regrettably did not peek underneath to see if there was a difference!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
There might be multiple R1Ss with that wrap on, but there are photos of the exact same wrapped R1S in Denver about 2 months ago.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
There are two wrapped like this in Palo Alto today, per reddit.

Sponsored