First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Blue R1T Adventure+22" ; 14 Durango
Occupation
Engineer
I have the truck for a month now, it's my daily driver and there are just a few things that I noticed and think it would be good to improve upon. Not sure how to feed it back to Rivian.

1. I'm a first time EV owner and whenever I enabled the cruise control feature, I always have my foot on the brake pedal just in case. Because of that, I noticed that when the truck is in adaptive cruise control, whenever it needs to slow down a little, the brake pedal will be pressed by the car. Not sure why it behave like this even when it only need to drop the speed by 1~2 mph. And I'm also wondering how that would affect the cruising energy efficiency.

2. The truck has A LOT OF POWER. It's very fun driving a truck with a 0-60 in 3 seconds. However, I don't think people would need to do reverse 0-60 in 3 seconds. It would be better if the truck has an option/feature to limit the power in reverse so my wife no one can accidentally speed up too fast backing up.

3. Going from ICE to EV did take some used to because of the regen. I took me almost 5 mins to get used to the High regen. After driving for a month, now I wish it could have a super high regen setting.

4. The remaining range estimation from the navigation is very accurate. I have 2 runs from Denver to Loveland on I25 earlier last week and the navigation range estimation was accurate with +-1 mile error even with me driving at 5~10+ speed limit with passion.

5. Wish the media quick access can be on the left side of the screen instead.

Update:
6. The latest software update made the RIDE menu passcode a 5 digits instead. I had so much fun using that menu digging into the internal data... oh well.

7. The outside temperature on the screen is almost always higher than it supposed to be. Not sure why.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
1. I'm a first time EV owner and whenever I enabled the cruise control feature, I always have my foot on the brake pedal just in case. Because of that, I noticed that when the truck is in adaptive cruise control, whenever it needs to slow down a little, the brake pedal will be pressed by the car. Not sure why it behave like this even when it only need to drop the speed by 1~2 mph. And I'm also wondering how that would affect the cruising energy efficiency.
you shouldn’t ride the brake pedal. fine to keep your foot “ready’ but dont physically touch the pedal until you want to brake.

Mark’s RT-1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y and Model Y Perf. And some other EVs
Occupation
Bus. Owner.
Clubs

After 1 month for me?

Software updates and fixes please! Agree on the media for streaming; wish I could move it to the left side.

Phone app is nowhere near the features and usability as the Tesla app.

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
I'm almost two months in now and I frickin LOVE this thing. The only thing I miss about my 2019 RAM is the rear seat leg room, that's it. Totally agree on the media quick access being on the left, along with the clock. Or at least put or duplicate the clock on the drivers screen.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

7 weeks and 760 miles. No issues so far and really enjoying the truck.

1. Kneel mode
2. Move drivers seat back when exiting the truck.
3. More configurable options for user.
4. High regen OPD works great for me but my wife cannot adjust to it. So, a regen setting just shy of OPD.

Adventure On!

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Adventure On!
Goodness, man.

Drive the freaking thing already. 😂🤪😚

10 weeks 8,100 miles and I work from home.

Relevant to the thread. In my opinion the truck only has power when you want it. I can drive it at 1 mph at will forward and reverse, and feel like the throttle mapping is really well designed to not accidentally deliver a bunch of power unexpectedly.

CyklopsPDX

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Audi Q5, 2017 Subaru Legacy
Occupation
Engineer
Completely agree with Mike on the pedal mapping. It's remarkably easy (in All purpose mode) to crawl forward/backwards. It was a concern I had prior to owning since I park in a fairly tight garage. I have a 2x6 on the floor that I roll into as a mark/bumper to confirm i'm far enough forward and I can controllably, softly bump that every time. In reverse I have to navigate other cars in the driveway on the way out and never feel like I'm going to accidentally tag one due to control issues. The only issue I have with reverse is that I tend to look out the back window rather than use cameras, and 'deweighting' the seat has caused the truck to alarm and go into Park a few times due to 'no driver sensed' or something like that!

BTW, 8 weeks/3800 miles at this point, loving every time I climb in.

WRT the media access panel - I only have to reach over when I want to flick it off the screen (or back on) OR if I want to toggle shuffle play. Volume, Skip to next/previous and Play/pause work well for me on the steering wheel.

Steve

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

2. The truck has A LOT OF POWER. It's very fun driving a truck with a 0-60 in 3 seconds. However, I don't think people would need to do reverse 0-60 in 3 seconds. It would be better if the truck has an option/feature to limit the power in reverse so my wife no one can accidentally speed up too fast backing up.
I think that's a really good suggestion.

Sponsored

OP
OP

HimuraMOdo

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
you shouldn’t ride the brake pedal. fine to keep your foot “ready’ but dont physically touch the pedal until you want to brake.
I have a habit of resting the foot on the brake pedal while not pushing for gas so just I can keep the reaction time at minimal.

OP
OP

HimuraMOdo

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
After 1 month for me?

Software updates and fixes please! Agree on the media for streaming; wish I could move it to the left side.

Phone app is nowhere near the features and usability as the Tesla app.
Totally agree on the phone app. Speaking of that, I mean, the truck is basically a giant smart phone with wheels. Everything non security/safety related should be able to be controlled through the phone app like starting the charging session, change a few settings etc,.

One giant disappointment with the latest software update is..... The passcode for the RIDE menu has changed from 4 digits to 5 digits. Duhhh...

OP
OP

HimuraMOdo

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

1. Kneel mode
2. Move drivers seat back when exiting the truck.
3. More configurable options for user.
4. High regen OPD works great for me but my wife cannot adjust to it. So, a regen setting just shy of OPD.

Adventure On!
Yea, right! How can I forget the Kneel mode! It was promised by the CEO before....

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
I still like the truck but my punch list for my service appointment is LONG including several service lights. I also hate the seats and keys.

OP
OP

HimuraMOdo

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Goodness, man.

Drive the freaking thing already. 😂🤪😚

10 weeks 8,100 miles and I work from home.

Relevant to the thread. In my opinion the truck only has power when you want it. I can drive it at 1 mph at will forward and reverse, and feel like the throttle mapping is really well designed to not accidentally deliver a bunch of power unexpectedly.
Yes, I agree on the pedal is mapped quite well. But I do realized that the pedal does have quite a bit of dead travel before the truck moves. And now I'm used to it but when I need to drive my ICE car occasionally, it got quite jumpy due to the muscle memory of the dead travel.

Maybe to phrase it better, I'd like to have a mode to lock out a portion of the power so anyone who is not very familiar with the truck would not accidentally bumped into something. *cough* Valet mode *cough*
Sponsored

Last edited: