G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
still figuring it out
Clubs

early reservation holder waiting for email for delivery and doing all my checks to see if I will be going through or getting my deposit back

We love siriusxm and use it quite often - I realise rivian's don't have a siriusxm radio built in and no android auto/carplay that would allow to easily play siriusxm - however, the Q's I have are the following:

1) can I still connect my phone over bluetooth and play audio over bluetooth (Using Siriusxm app on my phone)
2) other than amazon music, what does rivian natively support? Do you not need a data connection for amazon music?

one of the reasons we like sirius is for roadtrips to US/Canada since it works seamlessly with no data roaming etc.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
early reservation holder waiting for email for delivery and doing all my checks to see if I will be going through or getting my deposit back

We love siriusxm and use it quite often - I realise rivian's don't have a siriusxm radio built in and no android auto/carplay that would allow to easily play siriusxm - however, the Q's I have are the following:

1) can I still connect my phone over bluetooth and play audio over bluetooth (Using Siriusxm app on my phone)
2) other than amazon music, what does rivian natively support? Do you not need a data connection for amazon music?

one of the reasons we like sirius is for roadtrips to US/Canada since it works seamlessly with no data roaming etc.
1) Yes
2) Tune In, Spotify, Tidal, Amazon - AFAIK all need a data connection. I don't know of any local storage in the Rivian.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I’ll add by stating the obvious: I can’t think of a good reason why Rivian would have excluded this feature in favor of other streaming services. I expect it was a financial decision.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
One note: while you can use BT to connect your phone and use the S/XM app, you cannot connect one of the S/XM portable receivers to the Rivian system via BT or hardwire at this time.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
You can also get a Sirius XM receiver that has a Bluetooth transmitter.
Or get one with a FM transmitter.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
You can also get a Sirius XM receiver that has a Bluetooth transmitter.
Or get one with a FM transmitter.
Various posts on this forum report that Rivian Bluetooth fails to pair with SXM hardware. Access to the FM antenna connection on the RIvian radio is difficult so the SXM hardwired antenna bypass device is challenging to install. That leaves SXM low power FM broadcast which performs poorly in many areas due to broadcast stations on the frequency.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Not arguing that.. But where there is a will there is a way..

For the low power, I usually just use this..

https://www.siriusxm.com/frequency

To find the needed frequency for my area.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I sometimes play XM via my iPhone through bluetooth. It is slightly better for coverage than the built in streaming, but still loses signal often. My phone is T-Mobile and the truck is ATT. There are certain areas in AZ that only get Verizon coverage, i.e. remote areas.

HenryThe8th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Every time I see a SiriusXM subject line I'm hopeful it is a solution; alas, not this time.

We took delivery anyway, and there are days when I will drive my ancient Honda so I have reliable radio and carplay for Waze & messaging.

When a quality XM aftermarket solution comes on the market (hello, Crutchfield, please) I'm handing over my other arm & leg.

Reactions: GRC

Sponsored

gt28

First Name
G.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Audi S5 Cabriolet, 4 Wranglers
Occupation
Professional Email Deleter
Had the same issues with the SXM Bluetooth gadget. Use my phone. Not a great experience. I love my truck, and it has gotten better in the 18 months i have owned it, but having to deal with the mounted phone for Waze, texts, and Sirius are a huge issue - and not all that safe either. i dont like using Alexa. Maybe it’s because i drive with windows down, etc. But i wish we just had some access to these thing.

Willyspu

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS1
Occupation
Farmer
Clubs

You can stream anything via your phone's Bluetooth BUT:
1. it will be reduced sound quality and
2. once you loose cell signal there will be nothing to cast.

Missing a satellite connection is a big mistake for the "Adventure Car" in fact it is the only issue I have with it so far. It is not just the entertainment but the ability to follow the news and weather while off the beaten path. In some parts of our country you can still drive for several hours without cell service.

Reactions: GRC

Sbraab

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '17 BMW 330 GT, '07 Audi A3
Clubs

If you're iPhone is unlocked, you can tell "Siri, open SiriusXM app and play 'channel'".
Does this actually work for you? I just get an error that "SiriusXM hasn't added support for that."

OP
OP

GRC

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
still figuring it out
Clubs

Yeah over the years we've really become used to SiriusXM and love the fact that even when travelling and renting cars, most have a subscription active....Truly a miss that Rivian wouldn't have included a siriusXM receiver during the build - Would've been such a small cost at such large scale...I am not cancelling my reservation since my delivery is most likely early 2024 (Canada) but the more I think about the lack of this feature (and as others stated the ability to text, AA, Carplay); I feel like while the SUV may be great the experience during long road trips which we do a lot will be very mediocre...and for that reason I may end up cancelling...but Rivian if you are reading please consider making some of these minor changes that I feel will have a HUGE user impact (and help with better sales)
Sponsored