Sponsored

Second row EMF measurements?

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hi,

Has anyone had the chance to take second row EMF measurements in the R1T? I took some on my test drive, but I didn't have time to take it onto the highway, or in conserve mode, which I expect would produce good results.
Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Can you please explain for the simple folk among us?

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Like…..electromagnetic field readings? Why would you measure those in a car?

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Can you please explain for the simple folk among us?
Oscillating electromagnetic fields exist in ICE cars (from spark plugs and infotainment systems) and EVs (from the traction motors and infotainment systems). EMF hasn't shown any epidiomelogical effects aside from a slight increase in childhood leukemia. Some studies have also shown increased oxidative stress in organisms.

I am interested in comparing EMF to various ICE vehicles, EVs and Teslas. Obviously people have to drive to get around, but I'm not interested in increasing exposure substantially for no good reason, as a reasonable precaution. Humans did not evolve in high power oscillating EMF. SINTEF (https://www.sintef.no/projectweb/em-safety/) has documented some best practices for EMF in EV design and I wonder if Rivian has implemented those. Their conclusions on the effects of EMF in mammalian cells (https://www.sintef.no/projectweb/em-safety/project-results/in-vitro-tests/) are generally reassuring, but far from definite.

Last edited:

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and counting….
Clubs

Oscillating electromagnetic fields exist in ICE cars (from spark plugs and infotainment systems) and EVs (from the traction motors and infotainment systems). EMF hasn't shown any epidiomelogical effects aside from a slight increase in childhood leukemia. Some studies have also shown increased oxidative stress in organisms.

I am interested in comparing EMF to various ICE vehicles, EVs and Teslas. Obviously people have to drive to get around, but I'm not interested in increasing exposure substantially for no good reason, as a reasonable precaution. Humans did not evolve in high power oscillating EMF. SINTEF (https://www.sintef.no/projectweb/em-safety/) has documented some best practices for EMF in EV design and I wonder if Rivian has implemented those. Their conclusions on the effects of EMF in mammalian cells (https://www.sintef.no/projectweb/em-safety/project-results/in-vitro-tests/) are generally reassuring, but far from definite.
I am not sure why 2nd row would be more important than first row unless you are concerned for your kids but it sort of sounds like you need to move out to Ted Kaczynski’s cabin if this is a real deal breaker😂😉

Sponsored

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I am not sure why 2nd row would be more important than first row unless you are concerned for your kids but it sort of sounds like you need to move out to Ted Kaczynski’s cabin if this is a real deal breaker😂😉
It is indeed out of concern for children. Also, EMF exposure may predict miscarriage rate in pregnant women (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-16623-8.pdf), and the second row likely has less EMF than the first or third rows. I'm not sure it's a deal-breaker; it hasn't stopped me from driving exclusively electric cars for the past ten years, but it might affect which EV is my next EV. I use cell phones, microwaves, and vacuum cleaners, but I don't subject my children to them for up two hours every day commuting to and from school and various activities. Tesla, for all their faults, produces cars with low EMF (last I measured).

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and counting….
Clubs

It is indeed out of concern for children. Also, EMF exposure may predict miscarriage rate in pregnant women (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-16623-8.pdf), and the second row likely has less EMF than the first or third rows. I'm not sure it's a deal-breaker; it hasn't stopped me from driving exclusively electric cars for the past ten years, but it might affect which EV is my next EV. I use cell phones, microwaves, and vacuum cleaners, but I don't subject my children to them for up two hours every day commuting to and from school and various activities. Tesla, for all their faults, produces cars with low EMF (last I measured).
I’ve never worried about EMF readings and my son is perfectly healthy. 20/20 vision in all 3 eyes.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Congratulations, of all the wild requests I've read on the forum this is by far the wildest.

If you're ever in Portland I'd be happy to let you take readings in my truck.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Don't know exactly what you're after, but if this helps you out, great. If not tell me what you want. Front seat by wheel, on rear seat behind driver, couldn't upload video of behind driver's noggin.

Rivian R1T R1S Second row EMF measurements? IMG_20220808_171052

Rivian R1T R1S Second row EMF measurements? IMG_20220808_171349

wreighven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition 4x4
Clubs

Chuck, is that you?

Sponsored

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Don't know exactly what you're after, but if this helps you out, great. If not tell me what you want. Front seat by wheel, on rear seat behind driver, couldn't upload video of behind driver's noggin.
This is exactly what I was looking for! My hero! Good to see less than 2mg on the back seats while at rest. A reading from back seats on the highway in Conserve is my holy grail, as that's the majority of the kids exposure. Unfortunately, that requires more than one person.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
This is exactly what I was looking for! My hero! Good to see less than 2mg on the back seats while at rest. A reading from back seats on the highway in Conserve is my holy grail, as that's the majority of the kids exposure. Unfortunately, that requires more than one person.
I may be able to do that for you, note I changed scale of reading on back seat vs on steering wheel. I forgot how to use that thing... I used it to measure our sunlighten sauna.