Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Jeep J10 (Pickup Truck) & 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analytics and Intelligence
Clubs

As far as write-up if I get some time will do.
Absolutely interested in a write up as well, including what it takes to remove the tub if you're up to it. Would gladly throw some cash your way for your time!
Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Absolutely interested in a write up as well, including what it takes to remove the tub if you're up to it. Would gladly throw some cash your way for your time!
I've seen a thread where someone removed the front trunk tub. Might want to search for that.

Last edited:

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Last edited:

hevak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T (Launch Green/FE Interior/Black 20" AT)
Does anyone know if the connector for the second horn is there still? Any idea what that connector is? I’m wondering if there’s a way to add it without splicing.

Sponsored

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T/20AT Brights, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Does anyone know if the connector for the second horn is there still? Any idea what that connector is? I’m wondering if there’s a way to add it without splicing.
OP says it's not there in his first post. "Passenger side empty. Was hoping wire was there just tied up, but couldnt find."

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I followed a link here from Reddit this morning. It's been a month since the last post in this thread, has anyone else installed the second horn? If so please post thoughts, product links, and photos. OP, how is it going? Rivian replaced my single horn under warranty, but the replaced version is still too quiet for me. I'd love to eventually have an air horn like the mini one posted above, but I think this second horn is probably a great solution. I'm also curious if anyone just outright replaced their single horn with a louder single/double setup that would be plug and play... Thanks all for sharing...

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I tried to purchase the horn from Rivian. They said no. Tried to find from salvaged R1T with no luck.
Traditional horns come in pairs with two different frequencies. Getting the same exact horn wouldn't make it twice as effective. Only part of the equation is volume.

AfroRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
I don't think it's specifically the horn. They are cutting wiring from all the designs. That seems to be the actual cost center from what they have been mentioning lately.

The double horns in the original setup aren’t especially loud, I can’t imagine what it is with half the power. I get cutting costs, but some of this seems like low hanging fruit only because they designed a lot of the major structures and systems in ways that are inefficient to manufacture at scale so they have no choice but just content removal to shave costs efficiently.

Sponsored

Nuclianba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Pacifica hybrid
Had a close call on the freeway 2 weeks ago, 99% sure the guy didn't even hear the horn on the truck. The single tone setup just didn't sit well with me, especially because its so easy/cheap to add a second tone and help things break through the traffic noise. Saw this threat but no documentation, so I filmed as I did my install to create a guide for others looking to do the same:

Luckily, adding a second high tone at 500 Hz is straightforward: $30 worth of stuff and ~1 hour of time.

WHAT I BOUGHT:
I went for a standard 400Hz/500Hz dual tone setup, using the current horn on the Rivian as the low tone. Don't buy a 400Hz horn...you already have this on the truck!
Horn: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VU51C6
Leads: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FVJR31Z
Connectors: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC8THCG8

BONUS: During the install I found the 12V wires in the harness for a 12V outlet in the frunk tub (recent builds don't have this outlet) on a summer 2023 truck. Future project!

Haven't had anybody almost merge in to me yet in traffic since, so can't say if it works any better, but I feel better! Hope it proves useful to somebody else.

JBo1828

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
VP
Had a close call on the freeway 2 weeks ago, 99% sure the guy didn't even hear the horn on the truck. The single tone setup just didn't sit well with me, especially because its so easy/cheap to add a second tone and help things break through the traffic noise. Saw this threat but no documentation, so I filmed as I did my install to create a guide for others looking to do the same:

Luckily, adding a second high tone at 500 Hz is straightforward: $30 worth of stuff and ~1 hour of time.

WHAT I BOUGHT:
I went for a standard 400Hz/500Hz dual tone setup, using the current horn on the Rivian as the low tone. Don't buy a 400Hz horn...you already have this on the truck!
Horn: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VU51C6
Leads: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FVJR31Z
Connectors: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC8THCG8

BONUS: During the install I found the 12V wires in the harness for a 12V outlet in the frunk tub (recent builds don't have this outlet) on a summer 2023 truck. Future project!

Haven't had anybody almost merge in to me yet in traffic since, so can't say if it works any better, but I feel better! Hope it proves useful to somebody else.
Great video, thank you so much for the step-by-step!

Question though, this may be just the way it sounds on the video, but the “after” still sounds pretty pathetic. Does it sound louder/less clown-horny in person?? I’m thinking of maybe just switching out both horns to give it a decent tone.

Nuclianba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Pacifica hybrid
Great video, thank you so much for the step-by-step!

Question though, this may be just the way it sounds on the video, but the “after” still sounds pretty pathetic. Does it sound louder/less clown-horny in person?? I’m thinking of maybe just switching out both horns to give it a decent tone.
The cell phone camera doesn't totally do it justice, the change is noticeable in person. That said, the 400/500 Hz setup does sound sorta 'car' to me instead of 'truck', so maybe if you want it to be less 'clown horn' you could look for a horn in the 300 Hz range (use the current horn as a high tone instead of a low tone)? I just wanted to make sure people could hear me on the highway, and the 2 tone setup makes a big difference for human perception of sound.

JBo1828

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
VP
The cell phone camera doesn't totally do it justice, the change is noticeable in person. That said, the 400/500 Hz setup does sound sorta 'car' to me instead of 'truck', so maybe if you want it to be less 'clown horn' you could look for a horn in the 300 Hz range (use the current horn as a high tone instead of a low tone)? I just wanted to make sure people could hear me on the highway, and the 2 tone setup makes a big difference for human perception of sound.
Good point, thanks so much. I may just order a 300Hz horn to give it a shot. Thanks again!
Sponsored