Sponsored

Seattle to Whistler round-trip: 1.85 mi/kWh

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Temperature was in the 30s to 40s. Climate control was set to 70 degrees F. All driving was done in All Purpose mode.

I'm not terribly pleased with this number. It should be possible to make both legs without any extra charging on the way and still keep a 10% buffer, but not with the efficiency I'm seeing.

Rivian R1T R1S Seattle to Whistler round-trip: 1.85 mi/kWh 1673936154279
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Major portions of this trip are over 70mph and windy, it’s winter, and there’s significant elevation change. That’s a decent number, especially if you’re on 20s. You could significantly boost it (likely to around 2) by limiting use of climate.

For comparison my Model 3 Performance got about the same on the same drive without a ski rack.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

As someone that's done the drive many times in an Ice vehicle, the efficiency numbers you're getting are slightly better than I expected.

Also, what am I missing here? it looks like you traveled 404 miles on 110 kWh? Unless I'm mistaken, you did the trip with 15 useable kWh remaining?

Also worst case, you stop at the Electrify Canada in Squamish and top up to remove the range anxiety for the last leg.

Rivian R1T R1S Seattle to Whistler round-trip: 1.85 mi/kWh Screenshot_20230117_055856_ABRP

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Also, what am I missing here? it looks like you traveled 404 miles on 110 kWh? Unless I'm mistaken, you did the trip with 15 useable kWh remaining?
The kWh used portion has been screwed up since the last update and shows half the consumption for whatever reason. He used 220kwh for the drive.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I don't think 1.85 is unreasonable given the temps, tires, general conditions up here lately (been very windy lately) and the elevation changes you'd be taking.

For context, I'm at about 7k miles in total and have averaged exactly 1.85 over that time. There are a variety of reasons for that, from my lead foot to time offroading, etc, so that number is likely lower than it otherwise would be.

One thing I have noticed lately is that the auto-height adjustment isn't always kicking me down to low at highway speeds. Make sure you drop yourself down into low if you're cruising on the highway, it makes a HUGE difference in aero impact and thus, range/consumption.

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
As someone that's done the drive many times in an Ice vehicle, the efficiency numbers you're getting are slightly better than I expected.

Also worst case, you stop at the Electrify Canada in Squamish and top up to remove the range anxiety for the last leg.

Screenshot_20230117_055856_ABRP.jpg
Does an Electrify America account work at EC?

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
For the record, I’m on 21” wheels, the most efficient available, with perfect PSI.

Sponsored

Deleted member 9927

I'm assuming you didn't have a roof box or anything else?
if so, that is pretty poor. I have an I-Pace that needs a 20 min charge to do that journey each way at either Squamish or Bellingham. I was hoping the R1T would do it in one hit. If it can't then I may end up flipping it and getting something with genuinely longer range.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
I got 1.65 Seattle to Whistler during the arctic blast time with Vancouver roads under packed snow and ice and abandoned cars everywhere. But I wasn't too worried and ran the heater full time. At least, the car kept us safe and I got to charge for very cheap at Whistler before heading back. One bathroom break at Bellingham gave the car enough juice to come back home. I have 20" AT.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I got 1.65 Seattle to Whistler during the arctic blast time with Vancouver roads under packed snow and ice and abandoned cars everywhere. But I wasn't too worried and ran the heater full time. At least, the car kept us safe and I got to charge for very cheap at Whistler before heading back. One bathroom break at Bellingham gave the car enough juice to come back home. I have 20" AT.
I was curious if anyone had done the trip during the snow storm. Any issues or quarks with the T during the trip? Handling characteristics etc.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
I was curious if anyone had done the trip during the snow storm. Any issues or quarks with the T during the trip? Handling characteristics etc.
In some places, particularly near Whistler, the road was very slippery. When sliding a bit I had to be careful not to leave throttle at once and still steer back - that was a bit scary. ABS brake kicked in once as well. Two days into my trip I got the latest software update with snow mode so coming back was easier. Otherwise, the car did great, even when parked outside at -10F and charging at level 2.

Particularly, I am super happy about cost of charging there 😎

Rivian R1T R1S Seattle to Whistler round-trip: 1.85 mi/kWh A92AA542-E99A-4E85-B195-B827716F5D69

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Temperature was in the 30s to 40s. Climate control was set to 70 degrees F. All driving was done in All Purpose mode.

I'm not terribly pleased with this number. It should be possible to make both legs without any extra charging on the way and still keep a 10% buffer, but not with the efficiency I'm seeing.

1673936154279.jpeg
What wheels do you have?

Did this include an overnight anywhere or up and back in one shot?

1.85 mi/kwh seems entirely reasonable to me for a drive up to Whistler and back, especially with temps in the 30s and assuming you're on 20s. In all purpose the 20s are generally expected to get about 272 (original EPA) up to 280ish miles (now) in ideal conditions. If you had small stops, an overnight, or stop and go traffic that generally seems to get worse for me (ie the truck is more efficient at around 70 than in stop and go traffic or for short trips. Adding in cold weather, elevation, wind, and potentially snow or rain on the ground and this is definitely within the range I'd expect.

Edit: just saw you have 21s, so disregard some of the specifics about range related to the 20s.
Sponsored