Sponsored

Roadside Assistance questions

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Rather than wait here I figured I'd go to the horse's mouth, or as close to it as I could get anyway so I went to chat. When I asked about the 12 V battery the answer I got was that they don't have one so I then asked how, for example, were the windshield wipers powered I got the answer that such information was not currently available but that they automatically adjusted for the rain rate. When I asked for assurance that there was no 12 V battery she replied that if she did a search on it she got no results. So maybe the Rivians will supply the low voltage loads with a DC/DC converter and not a battery. Or maybe there will be a battery. I didn't learn anything from the chat.
It is entirely possible for a BEV to not have a 12V battery. My motorcycle in my avatar is a BEV that does not have a 12V battery. When keyed on, the DC-DC converter is fired up and it then has 12V for all the lights and accessories.
Sponsored

OP
OP

riviancanucknb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 1500
It is entirely possible for a BEV to not have a 12V battery. My motorcycle in my avatar is a BEV that does not have a 12V battery. When keyed on, the DC-DC converter is fired up and it then has 12V for all the lights and accessories.
The regulations may be different for motorcycles, not sure. The reason I was told that Tesla has a 12V battery is a safety and regulatory one - that critical vehicle systems have to be kept working in the case of a main power failure, so you can safely get off the road. Just like if your engine (and alternator) die on an ICE vehicle, you can still brake, steer, and get off the highway - the same has to be true in a BEV.

This is why the car computer / wipers / hydraulics / etc are all 12v in the Tesla. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

Assuming this is true, the Rivian would need a 12v battery, which would eventually wear out at some point. But its not hard to detect that in advance and keep you from becoming stranded...

My question on roadside is more what happens if you are in the middle of nowhere and run out of charge, or if you get a flat... will there be a partnership network of services who can handle the Rivian. It sounds like yes.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Well yes, that is what I said. The more interesting question is "why don't they use the DC/DC converter. Perhaps this is the answer:
The regulations may be different for motorcycles, not sure. The reason I was told that Tesla has a 12V battery is a safety and regulatory one - that critical vehicle systems have to be kept working in the case of a main power failure, so you can safely get off the road.
I really have no idea about the regulatory aspects but if you are on a DC/DC converter and it fails or the main battery fails you are DOW and the vehicle's communications with the mother ship are cut off. OTOH if you have the 12V battery and it fails you can run on the main battery and DC/DC converter (that, in this case, only charges the battery) and if either of them fails then you have the 12V battery to run emergency lights etc. Looked at another way, the DC/DC converter has to be there anyway so why not toss in a battery and have some backup low voltage.

Tesla has been at this for a while now and while it was rumored that the Y would not have a 12V battery, that did not turn out to be the case.

My question on roadside is more what happens if you are in the middle of nowhere and run out of charge, or if you get a flat... will there be a partnership network of services who can handle the Rivian. It sounds like yes.
I expect that if you get a flat or the 12V battery goes dead you will deal with the flat as one normally does (pop on the spare, spray in foam and pump up - remember there is an onboard compressor- use a patch kit etc.). If you need a jump because the 12V battery died then jump it as you would in an ICE vehicle. If you run the main battery down then you must either get the car to a charger or a charger to the car. Towing a Tesla is a big deal. You shouldn't do it, period. This involves getting a flat bed tow truck. Those are generally available. Rivian may or may not impose the strictures Tesla does. They have said it is OK to tug tow a Rivian. This may make things simpler. Whether Rivian will have some special arrangement for this in which they dispatch a truck from a Rivian facility I don't know. They could handle this problem by making arrangements with local towing companies.

The more interesting case is where the screens light up with error and warning messages and the truck won't move any further. Best case it is a software/firmware problem which can be fixed OTA. Worst case it is a drive line component which must be replaced at a Rivian service center. How your truck will be gotten to that center is completely unknown. R. J. has hinted that you sit tight and a flatbed with a loaner will eventually appear, unload the loaner and load your truck. Sounds nice but I'm a little skeptical on this one.

As to the differences between Canada and US service again we will have to wait until they are ready to tell us the details. I'll bet it's going to be better in Montreal than Arviat, though.

Last edited:

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
You don't get sarcasm, do you? I mentioned them because they are a reality. I mentioned them because they had not come up in this thread so far (only tire issues and running out of gas). I did NOT mention them to be patronized or "schooled" on a subject with which I am very familiar.
Didn’t you hear? Patronising, “schooling”, and condescending towards us lowly peasants are all he does!

Bet he’s a blast at parties too

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
You are not the only person on this forum. Why do you think I responded as I did? Guess what? It wasn't to "patronize" or "school" you. It was intended to be for the benefit of those members who don't know about the 12V battery.
I’d argue that your consistent condescending tone absolutely comes across as “patronizing” and that your attitude is that it’s your ordained duty to “school” us pedestrians since you so obviously possess superior intelligence to anyone else on this forum. You must have had a horrible childhood.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I’d argue ...
What I suggest you do is go to my profile and click "ignore this member". You won't see what I write, your sensibilities won't be offended and you won't have to waste your time or the site's resources on ad hominem attacks.
Sponsored