Sponsored

Roadside Assistance questions

riviancanucknb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 1500
Does Rivian come with roadside assistance in Canada? Most all new vehicles in Canada nowadays have 5 years roadside assistance standard. Will Rivian have a suite of roadside partners who know how to properly tow the vehicle?
Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Does Rivian come with roadside assistance in Canada? Most all new vehicles in Canada nowadays have 5 years roadside assistance standard. Will Rivian have a suite of roadside partners who know how to properly tow the vehicle?
They have stated that Roadside Assistance will be included. They don't make any exclusions, and I would be highly surprised if they exclude an entire country from the benefit. RA gets farmed out to local providers anyway. I don't know why it would be any different in Canada.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I have OnStar for my 3 GM vehicles and have used roadside assitance several times. It is always a local towing company. But in my case it has been flat tires or blowouts on vehicles with no spare, thus only needing a tow to a tire shop. I have never had a vehicle failure out in the middle of nowhere. The issue for Rivian, is if something breaks, who can fix it. Any automotive shop can fix Fords, GMs Chryslers, etc, but it is not the same for EVs. For my Bolt, almost everything would need to be done at a dealer with a special trained technician.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I have OnStar for my 3 GM vehicles and have used roadside assitance several times. It is always a local towing company. But in my case it has been flat tires or blowouts on vehicles with no spare, thus only needing a tow to a tire shop. I have never had a vehicle failure out in the middle of nowhere. The issue for Rivian, is if something breaks, who can fix it. Any automotive shop can fix Fords, GMs Chryslers, etc, but it is not the same for EVs. For my Bolt, almost everything would need to be done at a dealer with a special trained technician.
Most roadside assistance calls on newer vehicles are tire issues or running out of gas. So towing you to a tire shop or charger is likely what most Rivian roadside calls will be requesting.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Most roadside assistance calls on newer vehicles are tire issues or running out of gas. So towing you to a tire shop or charger is likely what most Rivian roadside calls will be requesting.
I hope my Rivian does not run out of gas.:CWL:

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Better yet... hope we don't need a "jump start"!
As you don't list a BEV you couldn't be expected to know this but "jump starts" for Tesla's at least have been fairly common. These vehicles have electric propulsion systems and heaters which use the high voltage of the main battery directly but all the typical car stuff like window motors, windshield wipers, seat adjustment motors, lights etc. use regualar 12V automotive components and so the cars have a 12 V battery though a small one. These run out of steam after a couple of years just as they do in ICE vehicles and as they run the computers the car can't be started if the 12 V battery is dead. The jumping procedure is the same as with an ICE car though clearly the source doesn't have to provide anything close to cranking current.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
As you don't list a BEV you couldn't be expected to know this but "jump starts" for Tesla's at least have been fairly common. These vehicles have electric propulsion systems and heaters which use the high voltage of the main battery directly but all the typical car stuff like window motors, windshield wipers, seat adjustment motors, lights etc. use regualar 12V automotive components and so the cars have a 12 V battery though a small one. These run out of steam after a couple of years just as they do in ICE vehicles and as they run the computers the car can't be started if the 12 V battery is dead. The jumping procedure is the same as with an ICE car though clearly the source doesn't have to provide anything close to cranking current.
AJ, why exactly do you think I mentioned "jump starts"? ?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I think my post makes it clear that I thought it was because you were not aware of the 12V battery as I would not expect someone who hasn't owned a BEV to know it's there. So why, exactly, did you mention them? If it's a joke, I have to admit I don't get it. Surely it is ironical but the irony will be lost on most here as the rather large majority of members here are not currently BEV owners.

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I think my post makes it clear that I thought it was because you were not aware of the 12V battery as I would not expect someone who hasn't owned a BEV to know it's there. So why, exactly, did you mention them?
You don't get sarcasm, do you? I mentioned them because they are a reality. I mentioned them because they had not come up in this thread so far (only tire issues and running out of gas). I did NOT mention them to be patronized or "schooled" on a subject with which I am very familiar.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
You don't get sarcasm, do you?
It's sometimes difficult to distinguish from garden variety ignorance.

I mentioned them because they are a reality. I mentioned them because they had not come up in this thread so far (only tire issues and running out of gas).
Thus you had an opportunity to do something that would benefit a lot of the members here and chose not to take it.

I did NOT mention them to be patronized or "schooled" on a subject with which I am very familiar.
You are not the only person on this forum. Why do you think I responded as I did? Guess what? It wasn't to "patronize" or "school" you. It was intended to be for the benefit of those members who don't know about the 12V battery.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Now that the subject of jumping or other service to the 12V battery has been broached does anyone know where it is located and how easy it will be to access? It isn't that difficult to get to in the Teslas but it isn't that easy to get to either.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Now that the subject of jumping or other service to the 12V battery has been broached does anyone know where it is located and how easy it will be to access?
And can you use the on board 120V outlets to do it? Or even to trickle charge the 12V? Will the Rivian need to be "running" to provide them with power? Or is there a "Camp Mode"? If there is a "Camp Mode", it is likely that the 12v system will need to be active. Since Camp Mode could be used for long periods without "stating" the vehicle, will the Rivian charge the 12V while doing so?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It's sometimes difficult to distinguish from garden variety ignorance.
Ah, yes, there's that arrogance again.

Thus you had an opportunity to do something that would benefit a lot of the members here and chose not to take it.
Unlike you, I don't feel compelled to write a book about everything. If a topic needs further discussion, it would become apparent and could be addressed through further conversation. Also unlike you, I don't immediately assume everyone here is an idiot.

You are not the only person on this forum. Why do you think I responded as I did? Guess what? It wasn't to "patronize" or "school" you. It was intended to be for the benefit of those members who don't know about the 12V battery.
I think you responded the way you did because you can't help being an a**. So here's a lesson for you. The way to achieve your stated objective of educating the masses without patronizing me is to avoid making inflammatory statements such as "you couldn't be expected to know this". Instead, lead into your lesson with something like... "you bring up a good point. for those wondering why we're talking about jump starts in the context of BEVs...".

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Rather than wait here I figured I'd go to the horse's mouth, or as close to it as I could get anyway so I went to chat. When I asked about the 12 V battery the answer I got was that they don't have one so I then asked how, for example, were the windshield wipers powered I got the answer that such information was not currently available but that they automatically adjusted for the rain rate. When I asked for assurance that there was no 12 V battery she replied that if she did a search on it she got no results. So maybe the Rivians will supply the low voltage loads with a DC/DC converter and not a battery. Or maybe there will be a battery. I didn't learn anything from the chat.
Sponsored