mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
@mikehmb did you end up doing this trip? Where did you go?

I'm also planning a short notice 3-4 days with my daughter first week of April and thinking of heading up into this area given the mountain ranges have so much snow.
Hey @skunn - Here’s the route we took, with charge stops:

- Half Moon Bay to Leggett via 1, stopping for a quick L2 charge (6.5kWh) in Sea Ranch for lunch
- Up to Fortuna to charge back to 85% on RAN
NOTE: 2.6 mi/kWh on this leg - about 45 mph average, lots of ups/downs/twists, from home to Fortuna RAN. 316 miles.
- Dinner north of Eureka at some random sushi joint which was surprisingly good
- Crashed in Crescent City for the night, charged the next morning on the RAN back up to 90% while grabbing breakfast just down the street
- Over to Klamath Falls to charge and get a late lunch, followed by a zip up to Crater Lake (got skunked - rim road was closed due to snow)
- Quick charge @ EA in Grants Pass for about 25kWh to have some safety margin, but primarily because we had to use the bathroom and grab some water at the Walmart
- Stopped for the night in Crescent City, charging again at the same RAN. This time, hummus and salsa for a snack instead of dinner from the Safeway across the parking lot
- Back down 101 this time all the way home, stopping to charge in Fortuna and Ukiah RANs

Total trip efficiency: 2.2 mi/kWH, including fast freeway, lots of climbing, snow, slow coastal roads. Important to note that we left the Megawarrior on the bed (unloaded) deliberately to see what the impact was on range. It probably incurred a 10% efficiency penalty.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Hey @skunn - Here’s the route we took, with charge stops:

- Half Moon Bay to Leggett via 1, stopping for a quick L2 charge (6.5kWh) in Sea Ranch for lunch
- Up to Fortuna to charge back to 85% on RAN
NOTE: 2.6 mi/kWh on this leg - about 45 mph average, lots of ups/downs/twists, from home to Fortuna RAN. 316 miles.
- Dinner north of Eureka at some random sushi joint which was surprisingly good
- Crashed in Crescent City for the night, charged the next morning on the RAN back up to 90% while grabbing breakfast just down the street
- Over to Klamath Falls to charge and get a late lunch, followed by a zip up to Crater Lake (got skunked - rim road was closed due to snow)
- Quick charge @ EA in Grants Pass for about 25kWh to have some safety margin, but primarily because we had to use the bathroom and grab some water at the Walmart
- Stopped for the night in Crescent City, charging again at the same RAN. This time, hummus and salsa for a snack instead of dinner from the Safeway across the parking lot
- Back down 101 this time all the way home, stopping to charge in Fortuna and Ukiah RANs

Total trip efficiency: 2.2 mi/kWH, including fast freeway, lots of climbing, snow, slow coastal roads. Important to note that we left the Megawarrior on the bed (unloaded) deliberately to see what the impact was on range. It probably incurred a 10% efficiency penalty.
The biggest adventure was the random sushi joint😌

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
The biggest adventure was the random sushi joint😌
Ha! Yes - that could have gone horribly wrong. I felt a lot safer ripping up to Crater Lake in the snow.

BTW the 21s performed flawlessly in the snow. I’m annoying impressed, since it’s removing many reasons to go to ATs and switch wheels aside from aesthetics.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Ha! Yes - that could have gone horribly wrong. I felt a lot safer ripping up to Crater Lake in the snow.

BTW the 21s performed flawlessly in the snow. I’m annoying impressed, since it’s removing many reasons to go to ATs and switch wheels aside from aesthetics.
That’s good to hear. They are probably more than enough for most people’s daily needs. I wouldn’t trust them on a rocky trail or deep snow, but that isn’t what they are made for. The Pirelli 20s have their downsides too.
Sponsored