Sponsored

Rivian Wall Charger Issues

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Dumb question. Why is there no neutral connection? Sorta hurts my brain that it’s only a three wire connection.
Neutral is only used for 120V, which the Rivian EVSE doesn't need. Only L1 + L2 are needed for 240V, plus a ground for safety.
Sponsored

verchalent

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Perhaps I have the same issue??? My charger will initialize, flash white, then after 2-3 attempts at connecting via the app and adding a device I get the solid red led... I have provided Rivian CS with voltage readings on each leg (220V/50A circuit in my case) proper dip switch settings per the book and verified connections but to no avail my until will not work... I will have to look at my front panel cable now that you point that out! Can you share any pictures you may have taken of this?
This is exactly what I had. I killed the power at the breaker and removed the face plate. In my case the molex to the front plate was not even connected, but for others it seems it was lose or upside down. Check that and then close everything up and try again. It took me longer to find the connection cable (they had tucked it really deep into the housing) than everything else together.

r1s-owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S, Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer (Principal Architect)
Been having issues with my charger, but to my eye everything is setup right and the front plate is connected.

My issue is no LED lights or at least not consistently and when plugged in no feedback whatsoever from vehicle or charger. This was working find before the last charger OTA update end of November though... Led status lights were still inconsistent and random.

steelwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Clubs

Quick update - installed the replacement charger, and everything works perfectly!

It appears that on the original the front panel connector was installed upside down from what was depicted in the installation guide.
i was able to get an unopened charger from somebody who received it in June. I had it installed yesterday but have been unable to connect it to wifi. After reading this thread it looks like I may have the same problem. Was the connector on the backside of the faceplate being upside down actually the problem?

Sponsored

OP
OP

howler99

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX 350
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

i was able to get an unopened charger from somebody who received it in June. I had it installed yesterday but have been unable to connect it to wifi. After reading this thread it looks like I may have the same problem. Was the connector on the backside of the faceplate being upside down actually the problem?
I can't say for sure. On the first charger the connector was installed upside down from what the manual depicted. On the new charger, it was installed as depicted in the manual.

I hope that helps and good luck!

HeyEllwood

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y R1S
Occupation
Operations Analyst
Unsure if I’ll get a reply here but I’ll explain.

Had a Tesla wall charger. Disconnected it. Hooked up the Rivian charger and when I turn the breakers back on. Nothing lights up.
However, I use a voltage meter and there is power going INTO the charger. But when I test the right side (Rivian wires). No power whatsoever.

Really stumped on what could even be causing this. If anyone has any suggestions. That would be great.

May just need to call a local electrician and see what’s up.

TheSavageBeagle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T, 2015 i3 REx, 2010 E91
Occupation
Engineer
Before I post a new topic, wanted to share my story. I installed my Rivian Wall charger yesterday, and successfully charged the truck at 40A for 3 hours before the charger shut down. There were no lights on the bar after failure, but the wifi/bluetooth was connected. Truck just said "unplug and try again". I flipped the breaker, but the wall charger [lights] would not turn back on. Went to bed.

Came back this morning, flipped the breaker, and the charger lit up. Plugged into the truck, got about 2 minutes of charging before it shut down again. I flipped the breaker, and charger restarted this time. But I called Rivian and provided all install photos and am waiting for further advice.

Disclosure: mechanical engineer, lots of wiring experience (high and low voltage) and the installation was done properly. Dip switches set to 40A and supplied off a 50A breaker via 8AWG copper wire. Garage sub panel 60A with nothing other than this charger and a few lights. No breakers are being tripped, and I can't tell if the errors I'm getting are with the truck or the charger. But I've never had any charging issues with the truck.

Do I need to set the truck charging to 40A? I assumed that it would only pull what the charger would give it... just as it does with Level 1. But could it be trying to pull too much from a level 2 that's been throttled to 40A?

Open to any/all ideas at this point. Feels like charging hardware issue to me, but I have no way of diagnosing either the truck or charger, unless you have ideas. Thanks!
Sponsored