Rivian wall charger install and issues connecting

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
FYI - I just went to plug in to move some excess solar to the truck vs. grid. Charging wouldn't start and status lights on charger acted like during startup. Seems it was doing a software update.

Went from V03.00.18(BBOX: V02.04.37) to V03.00.30(BBOX: V2.04.38).

I don't readily find any release notes. If it fixes some of the connectivity issues, I'll let my connected, sleeping dog lie for now.
Sponsored

Scojo1969

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Range Rover
Occupation
Executive
Is your home network set to an IP address other than the 192.168.1.x default?

Scojo1969

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Executive
I just got mine connected this past Thursday after having a ticket open for 3+ weeks. It had gone dark and when I called in for a status they suggested the SSID with no spaces. While a lot of the recommendations make no sense for even a wifi chipset designed 10 years ago with reasonably up-to-date firmware, I figured I'd give it a try and it worked. Things I tried before that may/may not make things happy:
- No spaces in WPA2 Key.
- Turned off 5GHz for that SSID

I think you're saying that the network name doesn't even show up to chose during that portion of setup in the app. For me, at all times charger showed it could see all networks (with spaces, operating on 5 and 2.4GHz). Just would fail to connect. To other's suggestions, make sure its operating on 2.4GHz and any option to hide SSID isn't selected. Also, if it's easy enough to shut off power to charger and take off front/network board, make sure antenna wire wasn't accidentally disconnected - the u.fl connector to the antenna patch is not terribly well protected and, I guess, could get knocked off. If your phone can see network from charger location, poor signal reception due to distance probably isn't the issue.

I will say that, so far, connectivity didn't really get me much. Graphs work and some additional info regarding current and voltage during session.

They have to know that it would be rare for a consumer WiFi device to need what they're asking for. I've got 40+ devices of various eras and levels of sophistication that all are happy on same SSID. Many consumers either won't know how to do what they ask and may no't have network equipment that supports it. If they do get that far, the separate VLAN notion is probably a best practice. Just hope its only the charger WiFI that's this lame in the Rivian ecosystem.
Is your home network IP address set to something other than the 192.168.1.x default?

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
Is your home network IP address set to something other than the 192.168.1.x default?
192.168.100.0 is my network. Lots of dhcp reservations for stationary devices (like wall charger).

Did support suggest there’s an issue with certain address assignments? Based on other things they say it struggles with, wouldn’t surprise me.

Scojo1969

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Executive
192.168.100.0 is my network. Lots of dhcp reservations for stationary devices (like wall charger).

Did support suggest there’s an issue with certain address assignments? Based on other things they say it struggles with, wouldn’t surprise me.
I’m waiting on a response from Rivian. As far as I can tell the IP address is the only variable that changed when the R1T stopped seeing the hotspot

Sponsored

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Finally got it to work by changing the SSID Name to all lower case and then simply adding the network name and password manually even though the network didn't display in the wifi list. Seems to be working now.

SingleMalt

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Soon to be retired
Update: I removed the faceplate and found a connection cable had not been connected! Haha!! The Rivian support said this has happened various times now. I since plugged it in and it connected to my Rivian and was ready to charge. If anyone else comes across this issue, make sure to check for a black braided cable that needs to be connected to a 6 pin connector to the front faceplate of the charger. Once connected you should be good to go!
Thanks for this! Same deal here, red light of death, no bluetooth, etc. Removed the face plate, found the braided cable wasn't plugged in, problem solved. Thanks again for posting, you saved me a lot of trouble. Charger works great!

OP
OP
MrSandman

MrSandman

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Glad that helped you out! Apparently it’s a little different than most Tesla chargers that don’t have that last connection piece. I was told it has been forgotten a few diff times. Very easy fix once you know what the issue is.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Is there an Ethernet jack available as well as the wifi?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Be aware that the Rivian Wall Charger uses security torx screws for the faceplate. I said more than a few swear words trying to get a normal torx bit to work before realizing they include the necessary bit in the mounting hardware pack 🤦‍♂️.

Sponsored

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Are the bluetooth and wifi radios both connected via that faceplate cable? Just had the charger installed today and can't get the Wi-Fi working yet. Even on 2.4Ghz only, no spaces in SSID and no special characters in the password. Wondering if I need to take it apart to check or not.

KeystoneCo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Update: I removed the faceplate and found a connection cable had not been connected! Haha!! The Rivian support said this has happened various times now. I since plugged it in and it connected to my Rivian and was ready to charge. If anyone else comes across this issue, make sure to check for a black braided cable that needs to be connected to a 6 pin connector to the front faceplate of the charger. Once connected you should be good to go!
I remove the faceplate and found a black wire that was connected to the motherboard but nothing else. It was tucked behind a black plastic shield, so it wasn't obvious that that lent wire needed to connect to the faceplate. If your faceplate is not connected by wire to anything that was probably the problem. Once I connected that wire everything works seamlessly. It was just a simple mistake from the installer who didn't read the directions completely.

Rgabon

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Jeep, Toyota, Land Rover
Occupation
CPA
This post saved me! Thank you.

Litup

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Toyota Tundra 21
Occupation
Portfolio Management
for those that got it connected to WiFi...

what does it do in the app.... what if I don't ever connect it via WiFi... am I missing anything?

Thanks..
Sponsored