First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
Has anyone else experienced an issue with the Rivian wall charger? I went through the Rivian qmerit electrical install process, used a “Rivian approved” licensed electrician. Everything seemed great…..
But I can’t connect. I open the app and go through the process by resetting the breaker etc and it just keeps “finding” but never actually finding the charger and connecting. I contacted Rivian support and they said “make sure your wifi network has no special characters”. Not sure why that’s an issue but apparently they’ve had issues with peoples wifi network name having special characters.
So after renaming my network without those, (what a pain to reconnect all other devices in the house) still nothing.
It won’t connect to the all. What’s frustrating is it won’t even charge at all if it’s not connected to the app.
Meanwhile the answer is to “use your charging cables and plug into your 110v outlet until we can get something figured out”.
So….. back to 1.2-1.9 mi/hr of charging!! Which nets me roughly 20-25 miles of use over 12 hrs!
Anyone else have an issue connecting and find a solution?? Would love to get some REAL juice flowing!
Regarding your WiFi experience, I created an additional network “guest” type account and gave it a simple password. Make sure you only use the “Guest Network “ for the charger. This should elevate your problem, and you won’t have to change any other of your tech to a different password.
Sponsored

cjdelafuente

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, BMW i3 Rex
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

Regarding your WiFi experience, I created an additional network “guest” type account and gave it a simple password. Make sure you only use the “Guest Network “ for the charger. This should elevate your problem, and you won’t have to change any other of your tech to a different password.
I struggled with a Rivian wall charger and its wifi connection for a few days. Thanks to this forum for the tips.

In my case, it finally worked by doing the following:

- Created a guest network (2.4Ghz) with all lowercase letters and no spaces in its name. The Rivian app did not see my guest network with a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters.

- Did the cycle of turning the wall charger off/on, pairing, and connecting twice. The first time did not work.

- I have a Nokia Gateway router provided by AT&T.

- Nothing obvious happened after connecting to the network other than seeing the network’s name instead of the word “unknown.”

Reactions: MWB

Mark Wiktorek

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
I struggled with a Rivian wall charger and its wifi connection for a few days. Thanks to this forum for the tips.

In my case, it finally worked by doing the following:

- Created a guest network (2.4Ghz) with all lowercase letters and no spaces in its name. The Rivian app did not see my guest network with a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters.

- Did the cycle of turning the wall charger off/on, pairing, and connecting twice. The first time did not work.

- I have a Nokia Gateway router provided by AT&T.

- Nothing obvious happened after connecting to the network other than seeing the network’s name instead of the word “unknown.”
I’m glad this worked for you. I had the exact same experience with my Generac generator when connecting to Wi-Fi, so I know some hardware has issues between 5-2.4 GHz. The wall charger is no different.

Cstond151

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Update: I removed the faceplate and found a connection cable had not been connected! Haha!! The Rivian support said this has happened various times now. I since plugged it in and it connected to my Rivian and was ready to charge. If anyone else comes across this issue, make sure to check for a black braided cable that needs to be connected to a 6 pin connector to the front faceplate of the charger. Once connected you should be good to go!
This just saved me hours of phone calls and frustration! Thank you!!!
Sponsored