Sponsored

Rivian vs. Cybertruck

Rad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 and 2004 MDX, 2016 Jeep JK
Ah, very true. I need/want a truck that is offroad capable (not groomed dirt roads!). Ideally it will need to be on the smaller side due to the small'ish size of the trails that I will be on. But, offroad performance will be the primary criteria when selecting a BEV truck or SUV.

Right! I also think that many are comparing the CT with R1T but in fact they are not really comparable. CT is a 3/4 ton full sized truck where as the R1T is a midsized truck similar to the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
4 motors (vs 2 or 3 in CT) when offroad will also be a game changer.

I believe 4 wheel torque vectoring will be incredible on road as well, and I can't wait to find out.

dl4060

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T (Quad/large), Maserati Ghibli Modena.
Occupation
Data Scientist
I am curious too.

With my Mammoth situation it is somewhat interesting. The 350 miles to Mammoth almost never has snow until you get 20 miles past Bishop, and then only during a storm. We just got back, and even though chains were required on non-4x4's the roads were really not terrible. But occasionally you get those REALLY big storms, and it is nice to have something strong in snow. As a 2-3 weekend a month guy I don't get much time like that, but when I lived in Tahoe permanently there are always a few monsters during the year, it would be fun to test 4 motors during a crazy Sierra blizzard where 3 feet have fallen in a day and a half.

EDIT: Maybe 'fun' is not the word to use, but I am curious to see how 4 motors would translate to snow performance in a massive blizzard.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
I was up in Lake Tahoe during the late 90's when we had 6-7ft of snow and I survived with just snow chains on my minivan, That was one crazy winter. The plowed snow was over 10ft tall in some areas! Not missing it, lol!

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
I am curious too.

With my Mammoth situation it is somewhat interesting. The 350 miles to Mammoth almost never has snow until you get 20 miles past Bishop, and then only during a storm. We just got back, and even though chains were required on non-4x4's the roads were really not terrible. But occasionally you get those REALLY big storms, and it is nice to have something strong in snow. As a 2-3 weekend a month guy I don't get much time like that, but when I lived in Tahoe permanently there are always a few monsters during the year, it would be fun to test 4 motors during a crazy Sierra blizzard where 3 feet have fallen in a day and a half.

EDIT: Maybe 'fun' is not the word to use, but I am curious to see how 4 motors would translate to snow performance in a massive blizzard.
I would imagine hardware like a quad motor AWD system will be superior than any 4X4 out on the market today, if the software is written properly. Then with the proper tires, you should be way ahead of what you are using today!

Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Whether or not Musk made a huge mistake with the Cybertruck design will depend on what he really hopes the market for it to be. If he's aiming for tech fans who want to make big, even outlandish, visual statements with what they drive, he's probably right on target. If he's hoping this truck will take the EV revolution into the ranks of mainstream truck buyers as he claimed at the reveal, I think he's very wide of the mark.

I've owned one Corvette, two Mercedes SL AMG's, three Audi R8's, and had a Mercedes/McLaren SLS on long-term loan. I'm certainly not averse to driving vehicles that put a premium on looks and push the edges of practicality and the limits of the three-box configuration of ICE's. However, every one of those cars eventually became something I chose to drive less often over my sedans or minivans. Their low seating positions, tight headroom, sharply-raked windshields that almost touch your forehead just become tiresome rather quickly, especially for long-haul, non-recreational driving.

Humans are most comfortable sitting more upright, with legs dropping down instead of extending forward. They like a sense of space around their heads, eyes, and ears. They like to look at the world through vertical panes of glass, not steeply-raked planes.

Porsche made its name as a producer of sports cars. It's biggest selling vehicles today are its SUV's. BMW made its name for avid driver' sedans and coupes. It's boxy SUV's are its fastest-growing products. Mercedes made its name as a purveyor of high-end sedans. Its SUV's are coming to dominate its sales. GM is pulling out of non-SUV and truck sales almost entirely, and Ford is moving in that direction.

This is not the result of marketing or chance. It's the result of a growth in choice of body styles causing consumers to recognize, perhaps unconsciously, how they really like to sit.

I keep looking at that windshield and rear-seat roofline in the interior shots of the Cybertruck. it's a space that will quickly become wearisome once the novelty wears off.
I pre-ordered my R1S back in April, but I also took a run at the Cybertruck and pre-ordered the dual motor a minute after Elon announced the pre-order web address...so I’m pretty early in line.

My biggest Rivian question is what will the actual selling price of the early R1S’s be? Are they going to be optioned in a way that they will attempt to force us to spend nearly $100,000? I’m not prepared to spend that much on a first model run (not have I ever spent that much on any car), and it would effectively push me to cancel.

Compare that to the cyber truck. One less seat, polarizing looks (I’ve personally gone from “WTF is that a joke?!?!” to it legitimately growing on me), and a price that I presume will be meaningfully less - even after paying for FSD. I’m not certain that I could actually pull the trigger and drive it as a daily, but time will tell.

All this being said, I can almost convince myself that the smartest thing for us to do would be to get two electric cars/crossovers and an older ICE suv for the rare times we need that lots of space...we live in suburbia and really don’t need the size or utility of a 3 row SUV on anywhere close to a daily basis.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I pre-ordered my R1S back in April, but I also took a run at the Cybertruck and pre-ordered the dual motor a minute after Elon announced the pre-order web address...so I’m pretty early in line.

My biggest Rivian question is what will the actual selling price of the early R1S’s be? Are they going to be optioned in a way that they will attempt to force us to spend nearly $100,000? I’m not prepared to spend that much on a first model run (not have I ever spent that much on any car), and it would effectively push me to cancel.

Compare that to the cyber truck. One less seat, polarizing looks (I’ve personally gone from “WTF is that a joke?!?!” to it legitimately growing on me), and a price that I presume will be meaningfully less - even after paying for FSD. I’m not certain that I could actually pull the trigger and drive it as a daily, but time will tell.

All this being said, I can almost convince myself that the smartest thing for us to do would be to get two electric cars/crossovers and an older ICE suv for the rare times we need that lots of space...we live in suburbia and really don’t need the size or utility of a 3 row SUV on anywhere close to a daily basis.
Great stable of vehicles, one ICE SUV and two electrics (one SUV and one highway). Covers all bases and contingencies.

azjohnny

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
I also took a run at the Cybertruck and pre-ordered the dual motor a minute after Elon announced the pre-order web address...so I’m pretty early in line.
FYI
your reservation has nothing to do with "place in line" with Tesla

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Not old per se. But not new. Released on Christmas.

Sponsored

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
FYI
your reservation has nothing to do with "place in line" with Tesla
That's news to me. RN's seem to be highly correlated to when people placed their deposits, and presumably would (roughly) be the order in which they make the cars available to reservation holders (I'm sure some exceptions apply). What makes you think the RN number has nothing to do with when you'll get your car? I'm sure a low RN# for a car that isn't being produced until later will have a material impact (now the single motor), but for Dual and Tri motors I'd be shocked if there was some order that was no (roughly) the same as the RN.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
That's news to me. RN's seem to be highly correlated to when people placed their deposits, and presumably would (roughly) be the order in which they make the cars available to reservation holders (I'm sure some exceptions apply). What makes you think the RN number has nothing to do with when you'll get your car? I'm sure a low RN# for a car that isn't being produced until later will have a material impact (now the single motor), but for Dual and Tri motors I'd be shocked if there was some order that was no (roughly) the same as the RN.
Everyone on these sites know everything. Take all with a grain of salt.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I actually wonder whether many people who considered either of the two ever considered the other truck. The whole comparing R1T vs CT thing in the EV rags seems like a false dilemma to me and I'm not a hater of the CT. There's just some big fundamental differences.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
If you look at the numbers for the two I think you may conclude, as I have, that the two are orthogonal in the style dimension but otherwise quite similar.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Size class, handling, price, launch date, and lavish attention to detail on the interior vs brutalist minimalism are all factors that I think are going to steer people one way or the other almost immediately.
Sponsored