Sponsored

Rivian vs. Cybertruck

Rivet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Landcruiser Diesel 4x4
If this is the old argument that increasing the number of EV's is going to stress the grid that argument has been shown to be jejune.
Exactly.

Don't forget too that electricity utilities are in the business of selling power. The greater the demand for electricity, the more money they can make, so they will find ways to upgrade infrastructure to cope with any increased load.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The "omigod, the grid will collapse!" barb is an arrow from the FUD quiver of BEV opponents. A moment's thought makes it clear how silly this idea is but those who propagate it know full well that 99.9% of people who see it will not give it a moment's thought.

brianmartin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Camaro 2.0t
just remember, everyone driving an EV in southern california who charges at night is charging on nearly 100% fossil fuels. Sure its still better than driving around millions of individual combustion engines, but still. There are a lot of extremely smug people in SoCal who think they are doing so much for "the planet" by being early adopters of EVs. When in fact, they are basically running on pure fossil fuels. Eventually it will improve if we get some storage in place for the increasing amounts of solar generated during the day, but as of right now, this moment, charging at night is not great.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Come now. California is as much of a tree hugger state as any other. California's total generating capacity (2018) was 195 GWh. 69 of those came from wind, hydro (California is the second largest hydro producer in the US), nuclear and geothermal. 96 (46% of the total) came from gas. Do you think California generates baseline with its dirtiest fuel (gas which is pretty clean compared to coal and oil but can be throttled up and down pretty easily) or do you think they take it from plants which are pretty much constant (at diurnal scale) producers (nuclear, hydro, wind, geothermal)? Add to this that even if all the electricity came from natural gas 2 -3 times more joules are delivered to the road per mole of CO2 emitted than with ICE. Thus I think the Californians are entitled to some smugness as they sip their sauterne and munch their epoisse whilst charging their BEVs.

Last edited:

Colosaleen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage Roadster, Dodge Viper RT/10, Saleen S351R Speedster
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Okay, as much as I dislike the Cyber truck why does this actually look good to me?

Just missing roof rack and mother-in-law chair.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian vs. Cybertruck 81701EDB-14FC-4578-9D86-9DEC464C6304

Sponsored

azjohnny

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
just remember, everyone driving an EV in southern california who charges at night is charging on nearly 100% fossil fuels. Sure its still better than driving around millions of individual combustion engines, but still. There are a lot of extremely smug people in SoCal who think they are doing so much for "the planet" by being early adopters of EVs. When in fact, they are basically running on pure fossil fuels. Eventually it will improve if we get some storage in place for the increasing amounts of solar generated during the day, but as of right now, this moment, charging at night is not great.
You must be thinking of West Virginia

Mr_funnypuns

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Toyota Prius, 2009 Hybrid Sierra, 1985 Fiero
Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Six Sigma “Black Belt”
Okay, as much as I dislike the Cyber truck why does this actually look good to me?

81701EDB-14FC-4578-9D86-9DEC464C6304.jpeg
Nah. Even with a paint job, I’m not buying.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
just remember, everyone driving an EV in southern california who charges at night is charging on nearly 100% fossil fuels.
I'm curious as to where you got this information? Nothing I could find supports it. California leads the nation in non-hydro renewable electricity generation, and its per-capita electricity consumption is among the lowest in the nation due to conservation measures.

The dirtiest fossil fuel is coal, and California has no coal-fired plants in operation. The only fossil fuel California uses is the cleanest one: natural gas. And natural gas provides less than half of California's electricity production. The only non-fossil fuel source that would diminish in generation capability at night is solar, and in 2018 solar provided 14% of California's generation. Power generated from non-fossil-fuel sources that do not diminish at night (wind, hydro, nuclear, biomass) totaled 38.9% in 2018.

None of this suggests that there is any point in the day during which almost 100% of California's energy is generated by fossil fuels.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian vs. Cybertruck Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 7.56.32 AM

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I'm curious as to where you got this information?
Clearly, where the sun don't shine.

None of this suggests that there is any point in the day during which almost 100% of California's energy is generated by fossil fuels.
And especially not at night when the load is mostly baseline. Gas is used in peaker plants though I don't doubt that some of the baseline load is derived from gas.

1shadowsabre

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 Ram 1500 ecodiesel Honda Shadow Sabre
I'm curious as to where you got this information? Nothing I could find supports it. California leads the nation in non-hydro renewable electricity generation, and its per-capita electricity consumption is among the lowest in the nation due to conservation measures.

The dirtiest fossil fuel is coal, and California has no coal-fired plants in operation. The only fossil fuel California uses is the cleanest one: natural gas. And natural gas provides less than half of California's electricity production. The only non-fossil fuel source that would diminish in generation capability at night is solar, and in 2018 solar provided 14% of California's generation. Power generated from non-fossil-fuel sources that do not diminish at night (wind, hydro, nuclear, biomass) totaled 38.9% in 2018.

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 7.56.32 AM.png
That is a great chart. I love to see actual facts.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Yes. Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

ESTRUCK

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV-Kona EV+ORDERED R1T-Canoo PU-SilveradoEV

CYBERTRUCK video shot on highway from a passneger vehicle in next lane.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
Way cooler in motion and out in the concrete jungle. Hope to see videos of the Cybertuck off roading, not just driving on dirt road

Rad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 and 2004 MDX, 2016 Jeep JK
Hope to see videos of the Cybertuck off roading, not just driving on dirt road
Same here - footage on some rugged trails with water crossings. I'm really looking for an off-road capable BEV - would like to see some footage of the CT as well as some footage of the R1S/T.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
Right! I also think that many are comparing the CT with R1T but in fact they are not really comparable. CT is a 3/4 ton full sized truck where as the R1T is a midsized truck similar to the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored