Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I've forked over my 1K reservation for a Rivian, but I'll also be keeping an eye on the Atlis Motors Pickups. Anyone else doing the same? Atlis appears to be claiming some unbelievable pie-in-sky specs that, if they can pull them off, would really be spectacular. We'd be especially interested in the dually 8ft bed with max range for our camper. That would be our dream electric pickup. https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck
Sponsored

Alan Burns

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Terrain, 1967 Chevrolet 1/2 ton p/u
Have you seen the Atlis production figures for 10 vehicles the first year then for 100 more the second? That hardly seems to be a capacity to be taken seriously. Their claim of 15 minute charging times will not happen for a couple years and 800 volt chargers become available. Users who really want higher towing capacity will need to decide if they can wait.

RefugeEV

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Cayenne
I think Atlis and Rivian are in different stratospheres when it comes to viability. Here's some stats and facts which make it clear which one is likely to come to market and which one is destined for the vaporware bin.
  • Rivian has approximately 600 employees
    • Atlis has less than 6 employees
  • Rivian has raised over $1 billion in funding, which includes legitimate big players Amazon and Saudi auto distributor Abdul Latif Jameel Co.
    • Atlis hasn't even raised the targeted $1 million to build its first prototype (it only has a digital rendering for its vehicle)
  • Rivian has 3 offices and a manufacturing plant already established
    • Atlis has 1 office and no manufacturing plant nor plans yet established
  • Rivian has announced realistic base price targets for the R1T ($69k) and R1S ($72.5k)
    • Atlis plans to sell the XT in 2020 for as low as $45,000 :CWL:
  • Rivian will charge using well-established CCS DC fast charging at up to 160 kilowatts.
    • Atlis wants to use a won't-exist-for-years 1.5-megawatt charging system and plans to bypass exist CCS charging standards to develop its own system
I think Bollinger, which actually has a working prototype already and hasn't made pie in the sky claims, is a much more likely competitor.

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Something I noticed in the interior photos of the Atlis that I really liked was the camera displays for the side "mirrors" are located on the left and right sides of the driver display instead on on the sides of the doors like others with camera side mirrors I've seen. I like that idea. It eliminates the passenger getting in the way of the right-side display/mirror when leaning forward.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Atlis’s claims are based off the Grabat batteries that seem to be nonexistent now. They have nothing but dreams. Also, forget towing with electric until battery capacity gets really big. I calculated something like a 110 mile range in the Rivian pulling 11,000 pounds. And that was with the 180 kWh pack.

Sponsored

bathbunny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 RWD LR, first-production
Something I noticed in the interior photos of the Atlis that I really liked was the camera displays for the side "mirrors" are located on the left and right sides of the driver display instead on on the sides of the doors like others with camera side mirrors I've seen. I like that idea. It eliminates the passenger getting in the way of the right-side display/mirror when leaning forward.
I like the idea too. The various partial profiles of Model Y released until a week ago showed a car without side mirrors. The Tesla big rigs at the reveal did not have mirrors, but once they were on the roads for testing, they sported side mirrors, and the last Model Y teaser released a few days ago (and the one of Tesla's web page) shows side mirrors.
Basically, the technology is here, but the legislation is not: in the US (and in most of the rest of the world), physical side mirrors are required for a car or truck to be street legal. Tesla attempted to convince the US govt to allow cameras and displays in lieu of side mirrors, but did not succeed.
Some European countries have recently legalized the use of cameras, though, so safety data will soon accumulate and it will then become possible to argue with regulatory bodies to change the rules.

bathbunny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 RWD LR, first-production
I've forked over my 1K reservation for a Rivian, but I'll also be keeping an eye on the Atlis Motors Pickups. Anyone else doing the same? Atlis appears to be claiming some unbelievable pie-in-sky specs that, if they can pull them off, would really be spectacular. We'd be especially interested in the dually 8ft bed with max range for our camper. That would be our dream electric pickup. https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck
A big machine, but I cannot see how they have any chance of producing a pickup of this size, with 300mi of range and charging that fast by the end of 2020. Battery tech just is not there yet.

Larsas

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S85D
I like the idea too. The various partial profiles of Model Y released until a week ago showed a car without side mirrors. The Tesla big rigs at the reveal did not have mirrors, but once they were on the roads for testing, they sported side mirrors, and the last Model Y teaser released a few days ago (and the one of Tesla's web page) shows side mirrors.
Basically, the technology is here, but the legislation is not: in the US (and in most of the rest of the world), physical side mirrors are required for a car or truck to be street legal. Tesla attempted to convince the US govt to allow cameras and displays in lieu of side mirrors, but did not succeed.
Some European countries have recently legalized the use of cameras, though, so safety data will soon accumulate and it will then become possible to argue with regulatory bodies to change the rules.
I believe "virtual mirrors" are now available when ordering an Audi E-tron in Europe, at least here in Norway. These regulations are usually homogenised across the EU/EEC. They do reduce drag considerably compared to conventional mirrors and I assume they integrate into autonomic driving systems.

azjohnny

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
I follow Atlis on FB and every now and than Atlis will post a picture and something new and wonderful that they are proposing. People will leave comments on how excited they are for the truck to be released. I made a recent comment that Atlis needs a lot more employees and money to bring a vehicle to market and to my surprise the CEO agreed with me, not what I was expecting

JackA

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Pluginncw.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model S - Reservation/Deposit R1S
I'm buying a Rivian R1S because I want to drive an electric SUV before I am to old to retain my drivers license. Tesla and all the others will still be puffing their vehicles when I take delivery of the R1S.

Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I'm buying a Rivian R1S because I want to drive an electric SUV before I am to old to retain my drivers license. Tesla and all the others will still be puffing their vehicles when I take delivery of the R1S.
YES my very words.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Tesla and all the others will still be puffing their vehicles when I take delivery of the R1S.
Don't be so sure. Rivian has already said the R1S won't be available until "early" 2021, whatever that means. Tesla already has three vehicles on the market and is claiming its pickup truck will be available in late 2020. Whether they miss that date remains to be seen, but they already have the battery packs, a lot of other components, and the software in production on other vehicles. They have certainly missed other dates, as has been the case with almost every EV anyone has produced so far.

Rivians will become available when they become available. Tesla's pickup will become available when it becomes available. That's all of which we can be sure at this point.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I know. My brother waited two years for the dual-motor Model 3 on which he placed a deposit.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Atlis CEO recent interview
Sponsored