First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Global supply manager
Is there a digit to indicate battery pack size?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Ehernandez64

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Global supply manager
Thanks for your reply. I saw that and noted it was posted almost 2 years ago, was wondering if there’s an update yet that includes pack size. Sounds like no update. Appreciate it.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for your reply. I saw that and noted it was posted almost 2 years ago, was wondering if there’s an update yet that includes pack size. Sounds like no update. Appreciate it.
It is in the about screen under settings for reference.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian VIN Decoder IMG_9195

Sponsored

SolarR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Canyon Red R1S / White Model Y
Clubs

I was finally able to find Rivian's VIN deciphering document in the NHTSA database. This all but confirms the initial deliveries will be sold as 2022 model year, and includes some other interesting information. Updated 8/27/21 to include R1S.

10Model YearN - 2022
P - 2023
11Manufacturing PlantN - Normal, IL
12-17Serial Number000001 - 999999
Can the original post be updated to show 2024 model year Lettering? 😉
I got a R1S with VIN containing R. My guide says it's 2023 but some on here claim it's 2024. 🤷‍♂️

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

I got a R1S with VIN containing R. My guide says it's 2023 but some on here claim it's 2024. 🤷‍♂️
I can help. Alas, your guide is misinformed. On October 6, Rivian sent a letter to NHTSA with details for decoding 2024 model year Rivian vehicles. See link and screenshots below. (And at the very end of this post is a link to the complete 77-page NHTSA document for VIN rules and regulations.)

An R in the 10th VIN position indicates 2024 model year. That's per NHTSA regulations and true for all large-scale auto manufacturers. (By the way, you'll never find any of the letters I, O, or Q in any VIN to avoid possible confusion with the numbers 1 and 0.)

So, the 10th position gives you the definitive answer for model year. Now let's talk about the final 6 digits (known as the VIN serial number). Most manufacturers reset the counter for the last 6 digits when they start a new model year. But that's not a NHTSA requirement, and Rivian obviously chose not to reset the serial number counter to 000001 when they changed the 10th position from P to R.

NHTSA requires that the VIN serial number be assigned "sequentially" for "groups of similar vehicles" within a model year at the point in the manufacturing process where a VIN is assigned to a vehicle. I just took the Rivian factory tour this week, so I know that Rivian assigns (and stamps) the VIN while the floor of the vehicle body is being welded together. I learned from my engineer friends who stayed in the auto industry that "sequential" means that as VINs are assigned in the manufacturing process (for a given model year), each VIN serial number must be higher than the previous one. You can skip forward, but you can't skip back (which rules out assigning VIN serial numbers randomly). By the time finished vehicles pass all quality checks and leave the factory, ready for shipping, the "sequential" order of VIN serial numbers can get shuffled around a bit.

Final note: As you can see below, there is no code for the "standard" battery pack. If production of the standard pack gets started during the 2024 model year, Rivian will need to issue a letter to NHTSA showing the code (6th position in the VIN) for standard pack. Easy-peasy.

Rivian letter to NHTSA re 2024 VIN decoding

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian VIN Decoder NHTSA Rivian 2024 R1S

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian VIN Decoder NHTSA Rivian 2024 R1T

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian VIN Decoder NHTSA Rivian 2024 revs

DEEP DIVE (77 pages) into VIN regulations

SolarR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I can help. Alas, your guide is misinformed. On October 6, Rivian sent a letter to NHTSA with details for decoding 2024 model year Rivian vehicles. See link and screenshots below. (And at the very end of this post is a link to the complete 77-page NHTSA document for VIN rules and regulations.)

An R in the 10th VIN position indicates 2024 model year. That's per NHTSA regulations and true for all large-scale auto manufacturers. (By the way, you'll never find any of the letters I, O, or Q in any VIN to avoid possible confusion with the numbers 1 and 0.)
That you SO much Mygrain! 🙏 That was very helpful and insightful! 👍

Makes me pretty happy that my random lock-in of a R1S in 2023 that is built in 2023 is actually a model year 2024. 🤣That's awesome!

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
What is the date stamp on the door jamb vin plate? (Month)
And what Vin ?

Sponsored

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just snagged it yesterday from Shop. Not in my possession so can't see vin plate.

VIN: RN030XXX
Nice!

I was at the South San Francisco service center recently to finally pick up my wristband key and they took over 2 hours so I had a while to walk around while I waited. I looked at all the VINs of vehicles awaiting delivery. For both R1T and R1S the highest VINs I saw were just under 30k.

Nice to see how they've progressed especially on the S. My R1T is a June build, VIN 252xx. I'm lucky to get such a new one, I only picked it in the shop in June!

SolarR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Nice!

I was at the South San Francisco service center recently to finally pick up my wristband key and they took over 2 hours so I had a while to walk around while I waited. I looked at all the VINs of vehicles awaiting delivery. For both R1T and R1S the highest VINs I saw were just under 30k.

Nice to see how they've progressed especially on the S. My R1T is a June build, VIN 252xx. I'm lucky to get such a new one, I only picked it in the shop in June!
Congrats to you on getting such a new one!

I have this suspicion that in addition to the new model year using R, I believe Rivian is stamping all 2024 model year builds in the 30,000 range. I.E. RN03XXXX

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Congrats to you on getting such a new one!

I have this suspicion that in addition to the new model year using R, I believe Rivian is stamping all 2024 model year builds in the 30,000 range. I.E. RN03XXXX
Yeah I was/am super happy to get the one I got. It's not quite new any more, in under 5 months I've already put nearly 11,000 miles on it! 😳

PJHusker

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Executive
Just got my R1S - June 2021 order - VIN ends in PN004***

Should I be concerned that the VIN is so low?

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Just got my R1S - June 2021 order - VIN ends in PN004***

Should I be concerned that the VIN is so low?
It just means you have one that is an early 2023 VIN-assignment. Could be the frame was built and had a VIN assigned, then put on hold for some reason before final vehicle assembly. Maybe it was fully assembled but they found a problem in the battery pack and just slapped it to the back of the line to wait for a replacement pack.
Sponsored