bmwlad24

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Murano(trading), 2021 Nissan Rogue
Commute:

Any of the current options will give you plenty of range for your commute. Do you have charging options at work? Not that you would need it, but it would mean less range anxiety for you as a virgin EV owner😂. DM vs DM performance is really a preference. Both are way faster than most cars on the road. If you are looking for 0-60 speed
then get a quad. Also, there will be an option to pay for a DM performance upgrade if you feel you need it. Maybe just get the DM and if you need a little extra Lightning McQueen, pay for the upgrade to the performance. If it was my commuter with that distance,I would go DM large or max. If you’re driving at 80, you’ll still have enough range. 90, probably not an issue either, but I would expect some decrease in range at that speed. Speed isn’t as big of a factor as the conditions. If you are running AC or heat at full blast the whole drive, you will lose more range than the speed variance, but honestly, if you have a 140 mile round trip and say charge to 85-90 percent, you shouldn’t have an issue. Now, if you are climbing Mt. Everest on your commute, sorry to say, you probably need an ICE.

Noise:

I haven’t driven the Mercedes, but it’s probably a little quieter. The real culprit with noise is going to be tires. If you go with the 20’s, it will be significantly louder than the 21 or 22’s. That’s normal in any car. Honestly, if you don’t need the AT’s and you commute a ton, I would go with the 21’s. You can always get AT tires later and your noise will be a lot less.

Reliability:

well for me it’s been amazing. My 2020 F250 has been in the shop for 7 months. No loaner, nothing. They can’t seem to fix anything for long enough to get it off the lot. EV’s have significantly less moving parts. Any car can have problems, but you’re less likely to have as many problems with an EV due to wear and tear. The warranty is way better that most companies and they really take care of you compared to most other brands. I can’t say for Mercedes. I’ve never owned one.

PHEV:

honestly, I’ve had both and a PHEV is really for people who don’t fully trust EV’s. They are fine, but I wouldn’t recommend for your commute. Most PHEV’s have small batteries, and when they run out, they are actually LESS efficient that their ICE counterparts. I would stick with a hybrid vs a PHEV for your commute. You will also have the same maintenance costs and issues of ICE engines. Actually, many times you will find PHEV’s cost more to maintain as they tend to constantly turn on and off in an instant on and go scenario, which can actually be bad for the ICE engine in the long run.

I am a first time “I would never buy an EV!” Convert and I absolutely love it. The best car and experience I’ve ever had. Will you have problems with something? Maybe. I have not had any unusual issues and the issues I had were easily remedied.

I have a 2023 R1S quad with the 20’s. I love it when I get to drive it. Range is not an issue like I thought it would be. We just got back from a 1,600 mile road trip. No issues. You will adapt to a new driving experience, but I can say, I like it better and I am from a family who hated EV’s and would roll coal when I passed a Prius when I was younger (sorry to those people
kinda😁). Just buy the damn thing😂.
Virgin ev owner, good one 😂. I have two chargers at work, and one doesn’t work, but I will install a level 2 charger at home.

Great idea, since it is indeed just software, I may just go with DM, since I mostly will be in All Purpose, then whenever they release the option to get the upgrade for performance, I will, for whenever I head to Gatlinburg TN, with the twisties, and to satisfy the childish part of me.

Ah, so AC makes it vary more, nice to know. If the AC and heat are on low fan speed, but decent temp, will that be fine? My cousin still does that nonsense of rolling coal 😂.

That was my thinking
what if the power goes out, if the entire city loses power, how would I charge, blah blah(overthinking), which is why I wanted best of both worlds, but realizing everyone’s opinions here (I really thank ALL of you for the great advice), and opinions of phevs when the battery dies, it really makes more sense getting an EV.

Thanks a lot for your response, makes me feel much more confident, and at this point, I may just buy the damn thing. How are the 20s noise though? Are they very intrusive at speed, or just faint? They just suit the overall look.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bmwlad24

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Responses in Bold.
Okay EV it is.

No dual pane glass
well that’s a bummer!1 But I’m sure the drive makes up for it. As long as the wind noise is too crazy.

The lucky thing about this, the service center is 40 mins away from my home! 260 miles @80mph will be more than decent. Great to know. Thanks!

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

Welcome @bmwlad24.

I was asking similar questions 6 months ago. My R1S is my first EV and picked it up in December 2023. We had it on order since 2021 when we decided we needed at least one EV. Those 2+ years removed most of my initial concerns. Here are the things l’ve learned since taking delivery:

1. Get the home charger installed before you take delivery.

First reason is because your jurisdiction may offer up front reimbursements or year end credits for particular chargers (those that can receive signals from your power company to delay charging on hot days).

Second reason is to ensure your panel or panels can handle the charger. We needed to replace both of our panels. A lightning strike down the street toasted our panels, adding a coffee-colored patina to the buss bars.

Note to all: ALWAYS install surge protectors on electrical panels.

2. My R1S has little things that need to be fixed. But I’m glad they can be fixed. Our Genesis GV70’s nav system can take 5+ minutes to respond to requests to reroute. The ability to reset the Rivian is something ICE vehicles could benefit from.

3. The Rivian seats do not have huge side bolsters. To me, I tend to drive more slowly around corners than with our other vehicles despite the Rivian being flatter in corners. So no Scandinavian Flicks, no trail braking, no power slides, no trying to invoke overseer to be lined up for corner exits, etc. And yes, it is too easy to fall into the trap of the apex predator: that you have to keep proving you are an apex predator.

There are other vehicles that are more responsive at 80+ mph - EV and ICE. But driving the Rivian is - at least to me - a transformative experience.

siress

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 1950 ICON TR, 93 MB 500E. 33 MB 300SL
Occupation
Venture Capitalist
Clubs

Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum, and to EVs! I’ve seen lots of Rivians, as well as test driven them, and compared it to Model X, and Mercedes GLE450e(PHEV). However, I have questions. First off, would you recommend me to get an EV? Second, how is reliability? I plan to keep this for at least 7 years, and I commute 70 miles x 5 days a week. How’s the range when driving about 80-90mph? How’s the wind noise compared to say a Mercedes, does it have dual pane glass? Would you recommend Dual Motor or Performance Dual Motor? I am so torn on whether I want a PHEV or an EV. Mercedes and Rivian are my top choices. Please help me out here. This is the one I plan to get, https://rivian.com/configurations/checkout
It’s the white one for $92,350.

IMG_0315.jpeg

IMG_0316.jpeg

IMG_0317.jpeg
Hey Brad,

I have a very similar R18 with the same wheel/tire package you selected. I did green interior vs white. Quad/Dual is really about how you will use it, you get better range out of the dual and I believe less expensive. I live in Austin Texas so I made sure to get all my windows tinted (front with clear90) for heat.

I have had NO PROBLEMS with My R1S I got it almost a year ago. She has been perfect. I have owned the Model X (ton's of issues) and a Taycan 4S (also ton's of issues). I have only vintage ICE cars, my daily is my R1S and I love it.

the adjustable suspension is amazing, for freeway I use soft so it rides like a car. it would be interesting for you to switch to range mode and normal mode on your commute to see how much range you get at 80-90... They are smooth as silk at that speed. / you will hear your tires but I like that. soothing.

I hope this helps.

Tony

TNutz

First Name
Taft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance Leader
Net, with that amount of miles a day, the EV will pay for itself fast. That has been our experience. Both our cars are EVs (Mache & R1S). My wife puts 3000miles a month on her mache with shuttling kids to school and practice. Where we live gas is about $5-6per gallon. That works out to be about $800/mth in gas. Since we primarily only charge at home with power cost of 10cent/kwh our monthly electric bill for her driving is $80. That adds up fast and pays for itself! And over that time, only maintence we’ve had on the cars is changing from winter to summer tires!
Net make the jump to EVs!

Sponsored

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

The Rivian is an amazing vehicle. I have the R1S, Quad, Large Adventure package. Rivian has startup issues like 4 months waiting list for service where I live in Socal. I think Tesla had the same issues. The car itself has surpassed my expectations. It is a bummer not having the very reliable and productive Apple Car Play as Alexa in my 4 month ownership is very finicky and right now not even present as it disappeared with the latest update. Otherwise, all good. It will be fine for your commute and actually very comfortable. Please, please dont do 90mph
just asking for trouble. best of luck, JB

DBL-R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Ford F-150, Rivian R1S
Occupation
CEO & Managing Member of Peak EV Solutions
Clubs

I love my R1S and the quirks that go with it!

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
First off, would you recommend me to get an EV?
I believe owning a Rivian or an EV is a lifestyle. When it fits into your own lifestyle, get it; if not, don't. Even within the EVs, there are many different lifestyles.

Second, how is reliability?
Knocking on wood, my R1S is almost perfect; but have heard many complains on this forum.

How’s the range when driving about 80-90mph?
How is the range on a normal gasoline car when driving 80-90mph? The answer is the same. However, I guarantee you that you can go to 80-90 much faster with an EV.

How’s the wind noise compared to say a Mercedes, does it have dual pane glass?
Since it is a boxy car, the wind noise is not good but not enough to bother me.

Would you recommend Dual Motor or Performance Dual Motor?
Your choice... you should be happy or unhappy on either one of them.

I am so torn on whether I want a PHEV or an EV.
I hate the sound that a PHEV makes and the lack of instant power. If you go on many long trips, I think a PHEV is better for you. EV would put another 2 hours on a 10-hour trip. When people asked me... "how do you like your EV/Rivian?"... my answer would be... "if you are not in hurry, it's perfect!"

"Make good choices!!!"

RDMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

90 mph commuting? Yikes. I don’t know of any roads I take where I could safely maintain that speed during rush hour traffic.

Whether an EV is for you, or in this case a Rivian, depends on your tolerance and availability of recharging infrastructure and your tolerance for inconvenience should something go wrong.

As for dual pane glass, I can’t say I’ve ever heard of any vehicles that have that. Weight, cost, and engineering to accommodate don’t line up with most use cases.
the front windows of the R1S are dual pane just like in Teslas.

Sponsored

RDMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I don't think this is true.
If you lower your front window and run your fingers over it, you can feel the two pieces sandwiched together. You can also see the difference with the rear windows which are single pane. This has been introduced since the beginning at Rivian and when the MY was released due to excessive road noise

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S questions. IMG_6610

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S questions. IMG_6609

swflor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 R1T, 23 R1S, 23 RR LWB, 21 Yukon XL
Occupation
Executive
Clubs

I think I’m going with the 22s with quad motor
.the fact that the quad exists makes me want it. The more power = more happy. However, will report after drive tomorrow, depending on weather.
You can always put AT on the 22s. It completely changes the look. The Continental Terrain Contact AT in the same factory size.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S questions. IMG_7358

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S questions. IMG_7018

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S questions. IMG_7357

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S questions. IMG_7356

RDMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I think what’s being referred to here is laminated glass, not dual pain with an air gap.
You are right, it’s laminated in the front windows. Dual pane is not the same. Thanks for the clarification! My bad if that is what you were referring to, Redline

OP
OP

bmwlad24

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First off, would you recommend me to get an EV?
I believe owning a Rivian or an EV is a lifestyle. When it fits into your own lifestyle, get it; if not, don't. Even within the EVs, there are many different lifestyles.

Second, how is reliability?
Knocking on wood, my R1S is almost perfect; but have heard many complains on this forum.

How’s the range when driving about 80-90mph?
How is the range on a normal gasoline car when driving 80-90mph? The answer is the same. However, I guarantee you that you can go to 80-90 much faster with an EV.

How’s the wind noise compared to say a Mercedes, does it have dual pane glass?
Since it is a boxy car, the wind noise is not good but not enough to bother me.

Would you recommend Dual Motor or Performance Dual Motor?
Your choice... you should be happy or unhappy on either one of them.

I am so torn on whether I want a PHEV or an EV.
I hate the sound that a PHEV makes and the lack of instant power. If you go on many long trips, I think a PHEV is better for you. EV would put another 2 hours on a 10-hour trip. When people asked me... "how do you like your EV/Rivian?"... my answer would be... "if you are not in hurry, it's perfect!"

"Make good choices!!!"
I don’t take many roadtrips, so it will be fine, thanks!
Sponsored