First Name
Shiva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
IT
does anyone know if a pair of crossbar will fit 4 bike mounts? or we need two "pairs" of crossbars?

nelsonair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper SE
My restored price shows the Explore package as $66,700. Wasn't it originally $67,500?

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
With the tonneaus being optional now, I wonder what that does to EPA testing as I was pretty sure the tonneau helped aero when closed.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
With the tonneaus being optional now, I wonder what that does to EPA testing as I was pretty sure the tonneau helped aero when closed.
I think it was Mythbusters that showed without a cover was better for fuel mileage, because of the low pressure area it creates behind the cab.

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
I think it was Mythbusters that showed without a cover was better for fuel mileage, because of the low pressure area it creates behind the cab.
It depends but mostly yes, no bed cover and gate up. Makes a nice ball of turbulence that the main flow of air over the vehicle can slide off and over the rear of the truck.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/will-dropping-your-tailgate-improve-your-trucks-gas-mileage/

For this series of tests, Consumer Reports used a 2013 Dodge Ram V8 at a speed of 65 mph on the highway. The tailgate was left up during the first test and lowered on the second test. For the third test, a tonneau cover was secured over the truck bed.

Many truck owners believe that a tonneau cover will improve a truck’s gas mileage just as well as leaving the tailgate down. This is because the cover will supposedly distribute the air evenly across the body of the truck instead of collecting it in the cargo box. This theory is backed up by tonneau makers, who claim that using one will improve your gas mileage by 10 to 13%.

During the first test, the Ram got a combined 22.3 mpg. With the tailgate down, the truck got a combined fuel economy rating of 21.5 mpg. This shows that buying into this popular myth is actually worse for your car in reality. However, both of these ratings were better than the test involving the tonneau.

With the tonneau cover attached, the Ram’s fuel economy rating was 21.4 mpg. According to another study conducted by SEMA, the tonneau cover increased their truck’s fuel economy, but only while driving at a certain speed. Their test truck saved a little over one mile per gallon while driving at 85 mph. However, this situation is so uncommon that you probably won’t save much money at all while using the cover.

Another popular method that Consumer Reports didn’t test is using a mesh net. The net is attached to the back of the truck with the tailgate lowered. According to a test conducted by Mythbusters, it improved their truck’s gas mileage by 5%.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I have an Explore R1S preorder and the base price seems to have been reduced. It is now $70,000 when I thought it was $72500 previously. Anyone else notice this?

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
Ya'll better pump the brakes on making changes...I'll post another topic in a minute.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
85mph driving is perhaps uncommon for some... maybe not so much for others :devil: I think for me I'll keep it closed :CWL:

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
hmm- my price rolled back yeterday (R1S LE, Jul-Sept '22). I added some adventure gear, saw the old prices, was happy. Now, the gear I added last night have disappeared and am I back to what I had before (albeit with the pre-3/1 prices). Anyone else try to edit their configuration and see it sticks overnight?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
hmm- my price rolled back yeterday (R1S LE, Jul-Sept '22). I added some adventure gear, saw the old prices, was happy. Now, the gear I added last night have disappeared and am I back to what I had before (albeit with the pre-3/1 prices). Anyone else try to edit their configuration and see it sticks overnight?
I dropped the additional shield and charger last night. Still the way I changed it today so no issue for me.
Sponsored