RIVIAN Owner's Pittsburgh, PA

burghguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - Adventure
Just picked up my R1S at Cleveland Service Center on Friday. Wondering if there are any local greater Pittsburgh owners. I need to get PA state inspection since Rivian didn’t provide. Also, will be looking for tire rotation expertise locally. Worried about who has pucks and has any clue how to lift it properly. Did you buy pucks and take with you ?

Or to others out there, can mobile service do Pennsylvania state inspection and/or tire rotations?

Help out the Newbie.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I'm not in Pittsburgh, but Discount Tire has the pucks at each location so they can do it. Mobile service can also do it as long as the work site is sheltered and safe for them to do so. The other option is to buy them and know how they work and have a smaller local shop do it or try it yourself.

These guys are forum supporters and Rivian owners so you can be confident the fit will be right:
https://jackpucks.com/

I don't know the answer to the inspection question but I don't think Rivian would handle that.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Hi Paul - I'm in Pittsburgh. (Bridgeville exit of 79) If you want to borrow my pucks, feel free to reach out.

I just ended up buying a set to not worry about this. :(

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
Hi Paul, I am in the N Hills. I took mine to Krisch Auto in Ingomar for inspection. I also have a set of pucks which I turned on the lathe.

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
I’m in the other side of PA so I can’t recommend a local shop but if you don’t get any referrals here then consider calling up places or visiting websites and asking if the inspect EV’s.
if they do regularly then they are likely familiar with the weight of the cars and the need for pucks…..and that they don’t need to perform an emissions test.

Sponsored

OP
OP

burghguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - Adventure
Appreciate the insights so far. Guess I will check for a black Friday puck deal. :)

vman

First Name
Vee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Just picked up my R1S yesterday from Cleveland. They did say they are trying to get a Pittsburgh site opened up soon, maybe even before Youngstown, OH. That would be awesome.

So, after reading this thread, trying to figure out what all I need to do. I am in Mt. Lebo area. Didn't even think about the inspection yet, still waiting for the License plates. Any suggestions and next steps I need to know would be highly appreciated :).

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
I'm near Lancaster PA - I bought a set of magnetic pucks before we picked up our R1S. For state inspection, I waited until I hit 6,000 miles and then took it to my local tire place (CJ's Tire) where I knew they'd let me talk them through the process and watch as they rotated the tires and did the state inspection. They did appreciate the magnetic pucks and that I was able to tell them the torque for the lug nuts (so that they didn't have to look it up).

It was quick and easy and I'm about to take Rosey back for a second tire rotation.

OP
OP

burghguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - Adventure
Welcome to the Rivan Family and the forum.

I waited until the formal registration came. I had mine inspected at Big G Tire in Bridgeville. It was a recommendation from another Pittsburgh Forum Member. They didn’t even lift the Rivian off the ground for the inspection. I did end up buying a set of jack pucks just to have. I had the tires rotated and 7,500 mile service done at the Cleveland Rivian service center. I did have the RMAXX running boards installed at Xtreme car and truck in Bridgeville as well. I have picked up a bunch of accessories, listed in one of my posts. Happy to share and help in any way.

vman

First Name
Vee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That's awesome to hear that they 're right over there in Bridgeville. Thank you for responding, I'll make sure to check out your accessories list. I just got the LineX mats, they had the best deal and reviews around the web. Hopefully, they'll turn out to be as good if not better than Rivian's own mats.

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Just picked up my R1S yesterday from Cleveland. They did say they are trying to get a Pittsburgh site opened up soon, maybe even before Youngstown, OH. That would be awesome.

So, after reading this thread, trying to figure out what all I need to do. I am in Mt. Lebo area. Didn't even think about the inspection yet, still waiting for the License plates. Any suggestions and next steps I need to know would be highly appreciated :).
Welcome to the site! You have 10 days to get inspection after you get your PA plates/registration, so you will have some time to get it squared away.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a local SC until our legislators extract their heads from their 🍑, and stop catering to the dealer groups. My closest SC is 2 hours away, which is not terrible, but also luckily not needed often.

We visit family in South Park/Bethel Park about once a month, so maybe we will see you on the roads sometime.

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
I had no idea there was a SC in Cleveland! We were there for the weekend a few weeks ago and I didn't see a single Rivian. This past weekend we drove from Lancaster, PA to Erie and back and saw two Rivians (an S and a T) near State College, but that was it.

One advantage to traveling to a place like northwestern PA where there aren't a lot of other EVs around...The chargers (all EA in Walmart parking lots) were mostly empty!
Sponsored