Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
...3 walk in coolers?
No, just 1.

A small assembly line? How?!
Well I guess you could call it that. I used to be a passionate home brewer. I did beer in 50 gallon batches (that's about 3 1/2 kegs) which it took even my son a while to consume hence the need for a fridge that could keep 10 - 15 kegs cold. The brewery itself didn't use much power (it was steam fired). It all went to that walk-in. I don't brew any more but that walk-in is still handy and as I get 70 - 80% of my electric from the sun the energy it uses doesn't cost much of anything.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I sold my Raptor, so I'm down to a Wrangler and Mini Countryman. I'm keeping the Wrangler as my hard core off roader (3.5" lift and 37" tires) but the Countryman is going away..

The Mini rides like crap and has the off road ability to drive on a dry level dirt road. Even a wet dirt road gets tricky for it. The rough ride gets tiring for long road trips. You feel every crack in the road. It's a hoot to drive on mountain roads because it can take a curve pretty well but the Rivian might actually be better at that. I can't wait to drive hwy 40 through Berthoud Pass near Winter park, CO

Mini's are also known for the mechanical issues. I've had none with mine but I'm closing in on 40k miles and I expect something to happen. The infotainment system is fairly limited, but I will miss not having CarPlay..

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 A6 Allroad, ‘20 SQ7, ‘19 M5 Comp, ‘11 GT3
I'll be replacing my wife's gas-guzzling Audi SQ7 with the R1T.

The obvious benefits of EV versus ICE are on the table. And powertrain acceleration and performance looks to be superior with the R1T despite the SQ7's 500hp twin turbo V8, though I admit that I will probably miss the glorious sounds that V8 makes. I don't think the Rivian's braking capability will match the Audi's either, being that it will be an even heavier vehicle than the Audi SUV. I also have doubts that the interior will approach the level of Audi, especially since my wife's SQ7 is fully loaded with the full leather, alcantara options, and massage seat options. What remains to be seen is the ride quality and the overall build quality. The R1T will have a clear advantage in utility and towing capability (at least for short distances) being the longer-wheelbase truck that it is. I will probably miss Audi's wireless CarPlay implementation, though I will still keep hoping that Rivian adds CarPlay in a future OTA software update. That all said, I'm very much looking forward to the R1T as our family's first EV.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I sold my Raptor, so I'm down to a Wrangler and Mini Countryman. I'm keeping the Wrangler as my hard core off roader (3.5" lift and 37" tires) but the Countryman is going away..

The Mini rides like crap and has the off road ability to drive on a dry level dirt road. Even a wet dirt road gets tricky for it. The rough ride gets tiring for long road trips. You feel every crack in the road. It's a hoot to drive on mountain roads because it can take a curve pretty well but the Rivian might actually be better at that. I can't wait to drive hwy 40 through Berthoud Pass near Winter park, CO

Mini's are also known for the mechanical issues. I've had none with mine but I'm closing in on 40k miles and I expect something to happen. The infotainment system is fairly limited, but I will miss not having CarPlay..
You hit the Mini nail on the head. My brother is on his second, and you feel every. Single. Crack. I'm sure it's fun to zip, but I loathe riding anywhere with him. He's going electric now too, and it expecting delivery any day of his....wait for it....electric Mini.

I swear his spends more time in the shop than on the road, to boot.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
How do you do that? The average American home uses 30 kWh/da (and I average 98).
I'm off a little bit, looks like closer to 15KW a day on average lately. That is why I had such a hard time trying to justify getting solar. To finally make the numbers work for solar I used double what my usage is in anticipation of getting my R1Ss and put in a 6.2 KW system this year, got my PTO on August 18th and you can see I used 70 KW net metering from the grid in August 2021 with solar only half the month. I started charging my Tesla at the house since I got the solar and am averaging -6 KW a day net metering even with charging the Tesla at the house so pretty sure I have it sized really well to accommodate the R1S. With the tax credit and the electricity rate increase this month I have an ROI on my solar system at 5 years, it helps that my house has a 95.23 sun rating.

I guess the reason I can do this is I'm in Orange County, CA not far from the beach, rarely need AC and never need heat. We have a gas dryer, use mostly LED lights so the biggest consumer outside of the Tesla is a fridge rated at 2 KW a day and electric stove/oven. I have free super charging and two different superchargers within 2 miles of my house so prior to getting the solar we were charging at the superchargers for free.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Improvements Over Your Current Vehicle? 1634137483078

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Improvements Over Your Current Vehicle? 1634137062641

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I'm off a little bit, looks like closer to 15KW a day on average lately. That is why I had such a hard time trying to justify getting solar.
I'm still a little skeptical. My baseline load (wall warts, plugged in tv sets, computers, modems, internet switches, router, WiFi hot spots, thermostats, NFS, security cameras, Qi chargers, telephone system, WiFi controllable switches/dimmers, ....) is 885 W. That's 21.2 kWh/da.

Just to be clear, I am talking about what the house (and car) use - not what the utility bills me for. On average, over the last 6 months, I have used 83.8 kWh/da (it's well over 100 in the winter) but I have generated 101.4 kWh thus I sent, on average, 17.7 kWh/da out the meter. Thus I haven't paid for electricity since around March but I do pay $40 a month or something like that for having the meter there and the wires connecting me to the utility.

I guess the reason I can do this is I'm in Orange County, CA not far from the beach, rarely need AC and never need heat. We have a gas dryer, use mostly LED lights
That's a list of blessings for sure

Last edited:

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
How do you do that? The average American home uses 30 kWh/da (and I average 98).
I'm around 15KW/ day as well. I have gas furnace, oven/ range, and hot water and LED lighting throughout and use only 1 window AC unit in the summer. My usage will probably triple when charging at home. I plan to do 50% of my charging at work 5 days per week.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Coming from a 4 cylinder Outback, I can't wait to get my Rivian so I don't have to strategize every time I want to pass someone!
AMEN!!!!!!

omegafiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge
If I'm going to replace my Durango Hellcat with an EV, it had better be pretty awesome. The Rivian R1T seems to fit the bill. It has a long EV range, it's fast, has lots of tech features, multi-functional, off-road or on, and the list goes on. Plenty of reasons to buy one.

Otherwise, there isn't really anything about the ICE that is a "problem" for me. The Durango, for example, is a weekend vehicle, so refueling is hardly a burden. It's only loud when I want it to be. And still quieter than any Tesla I've driven in terms of road/wind noise. It's also got lots of usable tech, it's fast, solid amount of utility, and sounds awesome. Although most modern ICE vehicles are pretty quiet, comfortable, and feature-laden these days.

Plus, the wife already has a Kia Niro EV that gets driven the most. I guess the point is I could go either way. I'm just looking for something different and fun. EV is a big plus. ;)

Jemel

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Being able to actually go places without consideration of being in pavement will be my largest upgrade over my Model 3, along with being able to haul stuff to let me spend more than an hour or two there!

I dearly miss the utility of my old 4Runner but hated going to the gas station two or three times a week. Best of both worlds!

As an ironic side note, the most amount of off-roading I ever did was actually in the Model 3, when vacationing in the Adirondacks. The cabin we were staying at was down a private road that overnight was turned into a logging road. While the traction system of the Model 3 handled the mud and ruts fine, it was doing its own leveling of the road with its belly. It was nail biting and I never want to go through that again. While I may not off-road much or at all, it’s nice to know I have that option, as well as having the peace of mind I have a vehicle that can handle whatever gets thrown our way.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I can't wait to get my Rivian, so I can stop waiting.

Cassidy_DM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda6
Occupation
Space
One of the main reasons I'm looking forward to the Rivian is when I move back to Colorado in two years, I'll never be more than an hour's drive from a charger, thanks to the deal they've inked with the state parks. With the RTT and the camp kitchen, there will never be an excuse to not go anywhere in the state and goof off for the weekend, and have zero worries about having enough juice to get there and back.

Plus, pretty much everything everyone else has mentioned so far. ?

Ginny

First Name
Ginny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 escalade ext, 2019 corvette
Occupation
retired
I just put $101.00 in my truck! Need I say more :angry:

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I drive a Bolt. Do I really need to point out ALL the obvious upgrades a Rivian has over the Chevy? ;)
Sponsored