First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Honestly surprised and impressed how many of preorder holders are driving g beater cars or sharing cars right now. Bravo!
Sponsored

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

The R1T will replace my Ridgeline. My wife and I both love it since it rides so much better (even with AT's on it) than any other truck; however...
1) They may have changed this, but ventilated seats were only available on Ridgelines sold in Canada...yes, you heard that right. No ventilated seats if you live in the South but if you are in Ontario, you could get them! (What the hell was Honda thinking?)
2) The rear doors don't open a full 90 degrees. You have to own a Ridgeline to know how annoying this is. Many times I need to load something into the back seat. Plenty of room but NOOOOO!!!, you can't get it through the effing door!
3) Better offroad capability

(Man, I can feel my blood pressure rise just thinking about those rear doors)

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
The R1T will replace my Ridgeline. My wife and I both love it since it rides so much better (even with AT's on it) than any other truck; however...
1) They may have changed this, but ventilated seats were only available on Ridgelines sold in Canada...yes, you heard that right. No ventilated seats if you live in the South but if you are in Ontario, you could get them! (What the hell was Honda thinking?)
2) The rear doors don't open a full 90 degrees. You have to own a Ridgeline to know how annoying this is. Many times I need to load something into the back seat. Plenty of room but NOOOOO!!!, you can't get it through the effing door!

I'm trading in my ridgeline too. You can get the parts to get those doors to open 90 degrees. There's youtube videos that show this. Not expensive and for someone that's mechanically challenged - i was able to do the install easily. Basically youre getting the parts that allow the front doors to open fully and installing them in the rear. Doesnt affect the opening/closing.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.

I know what you mean. I’m on my third Ridgeline and this one, a 2020, has the new door hinges. I could not get the dog crate into the rear of the 2017. I’m worried that the dog crate will not go into the R1T.

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

I'm trading in my ridgeline too. You can get the parts to get those doors to open 90 degrees. There's youtube videos that show this. Not expensive and for someone that's mechanically challenged - i was able to do the install easily. Basically youre getting the parts that allow the front doors to open fully and installing them in the rear. Doesnt affect the opening/closing.
Where were you three years ago!?
; - )

Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Current car is a Mazda 6

no more gas stations!!
Horsepower
Utility of a truck
Off road ability
Better winter driving
Classier interior
Better audio
Increased space and storage

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I'm currently in a 2014 Camry. Boy, it's a *squeeeeeze* getting all three kids in there. Which leaves little to no room for anything else (although the trunk is still impressive for a sedan). Especially since the oldest is still only 5. Stroller, pack'n'play, and diaper/bottle gear, and I'm just about to the gills.

And that's just to the park. Camping??? Hahahahahahahahahahaha

I also am at my wit's end regarding their infotainment system, and how shitty it is. If it even feels like connecting. 25% of the time I have to clear the BT memory and manually reconnect the phone.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good car for what it is. Reliable, and relatively easy to maintain. Gas isn't too bad. But I'm looking at an upgrade in just about every capacity.

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 4Runner
Replacing an '06 4-Runner, so lots to look forward to - not just Rivian specific: backup camera and ability to charge/connect my phone without an aux cable.

I've already got my first camping spot picked out to take the Rivian on the first trip. Honestly, I'm looking forward to that trip most of all.

Oh, and also looking forward to not having to obsessively check the forums every day for shreds of new information! I'll get so much time in my life back!!

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
MY R1T will replace my summer and winter vehicles. The 2002 M5 and Silverado SS.

I sold the Silverado last year and am working on selling the M5 now.

What do I get?

• Single vehicle with the best performance aspects of both vehicles
  • Year round capability from one vehicle
  • Better than the ~15 MPG I get from both vehicles its replacing
  • Reliability upgrade - yes I said that for a new vehicle from a new manufacturer
  • TECH upgrade
  • Cabin upgrade in general and noise reduction
  • I get a new vehicle with arguably a better unique wow factor. I get stopped on the road in my M5 like 6-7 time s a year. Its fun.
  • Ride. I cant wait to test drive it but a smooth ride is under-rated. Low profile tires look great but the ride is so HARSH. I have the 20" AT tires configured and I am looking forward to not worrying about destroying my rims every time I drive.
  • Mobile power source/V2H

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
CEO
I don’t think I’m alone in thinking more and more frequently, “I can’t wait until I get my Rivian so I <don’t have to deal with some issue any more / gain some feature>!”

Since all of the recent reviews and videos were released, this has been popping into my mind a lot more. As just one example, yesterday one of the tires on our LR3 looked low so I decided to check pressures, only two discover that the tire was VERY low and another one was a little low.

My first thought was, “I can’t wait until I get my Rivian so TPMS will alert me to low pressure sooner!”

After I got our air tool compressor setup, I thought, “I can’t wait until I get my Rivian so I can just set the desired pressure on the built-in compressor, connect the hose kit, and move from wheel to wheel!”

Other recent examples:
I can’t wait to get my Rivian so I don’t have to get frequent oil changes!
I can’t wait to get my Rivian so I have ventilated seats!
I can’t wait to get my Rivian so people inside and outside the vehicle can speak in normal tones when discussing maneuvers and not have to shout over the ICE noise!

Just days from now I’m sure I’ll move on to:
I can’t wait to get my Rivian so I have a heated steering wheel!

Does anyone else tend to do this and has it ratcheted up in frequency?
Can't wait to get my Rivian so that I can tow our new camper, and never have to stop at a gas station again!

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, VW Atlas, Volvo V60 Polestar
Clubs

Eventual use as a whole home backup generator.
Well it wouldn't be a backup generator, it would be a backup battery supply that would last a day or 3 (which I'm guessing is what you meant). But I'm really looking forward to more info about that and hope it something they end up committing to!

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
Well it wouldn't be a backup generator, it would be a backup battery supply that would last a day or 3 (which I'm guessing is what you meant). But I'm really looking forward to more info about that and hope it something they end up committing to!
From a system perspective, the vehicle and charger combination effectively become a generator producing 240VAC.

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, VW Atlas, Volvo V60 Polestar
Clubs

From a system perspective, the vehicle and charger combination effectively become a generator producing 240VAC.
I was looking at it from a mechanical perspective and it's been 15 years since my electrical engineering classes, so I'll take your word for it. I was using the definition of a "generator" as being a device that turns mechanical energy into electricity, which in this case it's already starting out as stored electrons in the truck battery.
But it's really just semantics and doesn't matter anyways so I step down, apologies.
Sponsored