First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Yeah, people throw around the voided warranty all the time. There's no such thing.

You're exactly right -- to exclude coverage, they would have to show that the otherwise-would-be-covered problem you're having was caused by your use of that menu (or your after market mod, or whatever else).
So while this is technically true, people should really think twice before getting too emboldened by it.

Like many other "technically true" things in law, you also have to think not just about your rights, but how you enforce them and what your remedy is, and who has the leverage.

Rivian can deny a warranty claim. Maybe they're in the wrong, maybe not. If you have to hire a lawyer and go to court to get them to honor it, are you actually going to do that? Knowing it will probably take years to settle, enormous headaches, time off work, and after all of that you can only hope you get your fees back?

Maybe you will. More likely, you hope the threat of doing so gets your claim honored. But don't assume that pouting and saying "Magnusson Moss" is a magic spell that forces Rivian (or any other party) to capitulate. Lest we forget, they have lawyers too, and theirs are probably on retainer.

If you want to go into service menus and press danger buttons, be my guest. Just know that you could fuck something up, and it could take an awful lot of time and energy to get back to good, even if the law is on your side. These things aren't intended to be user accessible for a reason (and you'd have an awfully interesting legal pleading to claim that you stumbled accidentally into a secrete menu and guessed a 4-digit PIN and had no idea you weren't supposed to start throwing switches.)

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

No to all of these.

Maybe. Potentially a pre-configured OTP or daily code.
Code is: RIDE (7433)

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

Sponsored

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
I think hitting the mic button caused his vehicle to explode, that's why the video ended just before clicking it! DON'T HIT THE MIC BUTTON!!! :p

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Does this still work after the new update?

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
Just saw on LinkedIn where some security "gurus" are having a field day over this being an egregious vulnerability.

If there are things in this part of the interface that are truly dangerous for owners or the Rivian ecosystem, I'd agree that the 4-digit security ain't cutting it. From everything I'd seen here, most sensitive controls are resets that could impact expected use-based behaviors. Seems more like the nerd or expert interface others have referred to it as.

I'm thinking of the things a $20 OBDII scanner (let alone some slightly more expensive and sophisticated tools/software) can do with no password at all to a lot more than one brand.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Just saw on LinkedIn where some security "gurus" are having a field day over this being an egregious vulnerability.

If there are things in this part of the interface that are truly dangerous for owners or the Rivian ecosystem, I'd agree that the 4-digit security ain't cutting it. From everything I'd seen here, most sensitive controls are resets that could impact expected use-based behaviors. Seems more like the nerd or expert interface others have referred to it as.

I'm thinking of the things a $20 OBDII scanner (let alone some slightly more expensive and sophisticated tools/software) can do with no password at all to a lot more than one brand.
The 4-digit pin is in addition to having to have a key to the vehicle, right? If someone has that level of access, I would be more concerned about the vehicle disappearing than what someone could accomplish via this interface.

Sponsored

GIJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Tesla 3
IF YOU GOT IT YOU HAVE TO TELL USS

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE