Sponsored

Rivian Battery Poll - VOTE HERE

What battery will you be going with and why ?

• 105kWh (230+mile range)

• 135kWH (300+mile range)

• 180kWh (400+mile range)

Results are only viewable after voting.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I know, until the charging network is set up I'm keeping my ICE truck also.
Remember that you can charge anywhere there is available electricity if you have the proper adapters. Now it can take a long time depending on how stiff the power supply is (ordinary wall outlet - forever; fairly long at a camp ground or friendly gas station with 50 or 60A plug in welder...) but you can pick up 20 miles in pretty short order (hour or so).
Sponsored

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
Remember that you can charge anywhere there is available electricity if you have the proper adapters. Now it can take a long time depending on how stiff the power supply is (ordinary wall outlet - forever; fairly long at a camp ground or friendly gas station with 50 or 60A plug in welder...) but you can pick up 20 miles in pretty short order (hour or so).
As of last week when I looked at Plugshare there were a couple of campgrounds/RV parks with 14-50 outlets available but they will not be open in the winter. I emailed with my local power utility and they indicated that more charging options are coming in the "Future".

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I am torn between the 135 kw and the 180 kw.
The third row in the R1S would be sometimes and the extra range would be nice sometimes.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
No, cool temperatures do not reduce range appreciably, at least not in my experience with two Teslas.
Cool to someone in AK would be downright frigid to many in the continental US (hence the quotation marks in my original comment).

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
135kWh because I need the 3rd row in my R1S. I also think it will be plenty for 95% of the time.

However, I would opt for the 180kWh if you could get it and the 3rd row.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Don't forget Rivian has mentioned offering a "Portable Jerrycan" battery pack. I have no idea how much range vs size/weight is going to be available. I would think portable battery would have to offer 25 miles of range to be remotely usable. I just did some quick math....

Assuming the 180 kWh battery offers 400 miles of range that's 2.22 miles per kWh (simple math)
Now we know that the batteries are broken up into 15 kWh modules it might make sense if they took a single module and encased it into a portable enclosure. This would give an approximate extra range of 33.33 miles based on the 2.22 miles X 15 kWh module. This would make the most sense to me since they wouldn't have to really redesign too much to make this happen. Now whether or not the average person could lift a 15kWh "jerrycan" making it portable...... I have no idea.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Cool to someone in AK would be downright frigid to many in the continental US...
Recognized.

And beyond that I don't want people coming away with the notion that cold temperature has no effect. It definitely does if for no other reason that air becomes denser as it cools and at lower levels of relative humidity. Also lousier weather may be associated with colder temperatures.

Note that Tesla Stats data shows the fleet to be about 10 % more efficient in mid summer than in mid winter, So far their info covers only S, X and 3. It will be interesting to see how much improvement the Y's temperature regulation system will make in this regard,

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Don't forget Rivian has mentioned offering a "Portable Jerrycan" battery pack.
I've already got one of those.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Battery Poll - VOTE HERE IMG_1325
It's the box at the right of the picture. It will charge my MX and adds about 3.5 miles range in an hour.

Last edited:

StevieD

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM Longhorn, Cancelled R1T Reservation
Occupation
Retired - Living the Dream!
I need the miles! I always get the biggest fuel tank when its an option as I love to travel a lot.

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
180 kwh R1T. We travel around to various trails 2-3 times per week and the 400ish miles would allow us to do all of them charging only when we get back to the house or at the hotel/campsite. Also, we intend to tow our super light camp-tent trailer with mountain bikes and kayaks. That will inherently reduce range. So with the biggest battery plus the possible Rivian chargers at various National parks (Please Olympic, Rainier, and Teddy Roosevelt), we would still hit up all our destinations with charging confidence. Ready for the configurator!

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Well, if I opt for a R1S, 135 because I want the third row option even if I don't expect to use it often. If I go for a R1T, 180 because, while I don't expect to need extra range often, it's there if needed.

In other words, I'll opt for carrying more people in a 135 R1S and going farther in a 180 R1T, but that still doesn't make the choice between a R1S or R1T any easier. As you may recall, I started a thread on making the choice. I still flip-flop back and forth, but the open feeling of a full length electro-magnetic roof on a R1S is seriously tickling my fancy. I live near the foggy California coast, so there aren't many days when the sun will cook cabin passengers.

So my choice is to carry more people in the R1S and go farther in the R1T.

I also like that the R1S will be produced a few months later than the R1T. I'm an early preorder holder and I prefer to have as many kinks and rattles worked out as possible.

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I'm an early preorder holder and I prefer to have as many kinks and rattles worked out as possible.
:idea: Happy to swap reservations if you would prefer a later build...

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
electruck, you make me laugh (not in a mean way).

OP
OP
KickRocksRiv

KickRocksRiv

First Name
Westly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Don’t worry about it sweetheart
Well, if I opt for a R1S, 135 because I want the third row option even if I don't expect to use it often. If I go for a R1T, 180 because, while I don't expect to need extra range often, it's there if needed.

In other words, I'll opt for carrying more people in a 135 R1S and going farther in a 180 R1T, but that still doesn't make the choice between a R1S or R1T any easier. As you may recall, I started a thread on making the choice. I still flip-flop back and forth, but the open feeling of a full length electro-magnetic roof on a R1S is seriously tickling my fancy. I live near the foggy California coast, so there aren't many days when the sun will cook cabin passengers.

So my choice is to carry more people in the R1S and go farther in the R1T.

I also like that the R1S will be produced a few months later than the R1T. I'm an early preorder holder and I prefer to have as many kinks and rattles worked out as possible.
Yeah this is one of the times that I’m ok with getting my truck a little later in the process. I mean I’m not ok with a 2023 delivery but later 2021 should be ok. Hopefully the pilot production phase will corse correct any glaring issuses. This is a step that Tesla ALWAYS skips which is part of the reason 90% of the vehicle reviews you read report shotty work noticed after delivery. Rivian seems like a way more ethical and prideful company then Tesla. I’m sure there will be issues , but the hope would be that they can fix the issue quickly and get us back In our vehicles without too much delay
Sponsored