First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
WTF do half of these positions actually mean or do?? I reckon post-IPO when they were flush with cash and the world was good they hired anybody and everybody. This cut just looks like someone adding a bit of much needed efficiency. Like a lot of tech companies, carrying way too much fat.
Lots of companies are guilty of this, we did it too. Granted we didn't lay anyone off, but we didn't replace a few positions that we had hired for when those people quit as things are tighter economically. You hire extra people when times are good and when times are tighter you try to figure out how to get the same work accomplished with less money.

If there was actual fat there then the cuts are a good thing, you keep up the quality of the work product while spending less money. Tech companies like Rivian are all newer and they haven't had the time yet to figure out which positions are essential, which are nice to have, and which ones waste money. Like you, I consider this a good thing and probably overdue.
Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Rivian has hired 2 positions in my field which were advertised to me. Although I love the truck, and I bet the company has a fun culture, All of the news around layoffs have prevented me from applying. Oh, and honestly it seems they pay a bit below market.

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Have to say I feel bad anytime anyone loses their job. I hope they are treated well enough to get them through to their next gig.
That said if Rivian needs to save money reducing HC in California probably has more positive financial impact than eliminating similar positions in other locations. I am assuming Normal, for example, is a cheaper labor market if they need folks close to the mfg lines.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
"Harry Porter"... Am I the only one that... Oh, nevermind.

In all seriousness, I'm sorry to hear about people losing their jobs. That's a bummer as you would hope to see Rivian ramp up hiring and start growing again at a relatively quick pace. Unfortunately, the macro has a different plan for now.

Ronimal

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wagoneer
The guide concept was an interesting idea, but poorly executed in my 1 year of ownership.

The only consistent communication I received from them was finalizing the sale when my delivery time came up. Post-sale their role is unclear, and communication is spotty at best. The handful of times I tried to reach out I was ghosted, got a response days later, or they simply didn't have the info needed to help. They seem woefully out of the loop and disconnected from any info that would make them more useful, and they seem to turn over frequently. My guide has changed a number of times and I sometimes get an email with a heart-felt goodbye from some person I've never talked too. Sometimes they are just unceremoniously switched and I notice the guide name in my app has changed.

I just reach out to CS or service now as the tend to be more helpful and responsive. As for the guides I'd ask:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian announces more lay offs (Orange County CA workers) 1682533338666

Sponsored

Geight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

The guide concept was an interesting idea, but poorly executed in my 1 year of ownership.

The only consistent communication I received from them was finalizing the sale when my delivery time came up. Post-sale their role is unclear, and communication is spotty at best. The handful of times I tried to reach out I was ghosted, got a response days later, or they simply didn't have the info needed to help. They seem woefully out of the loop and disconnected from any info that would make them more useful, and they seem to turn over frequently. My guide has changed a number of times and I sometimes get an email with a heart-felt goodbye from some person I've never talked too. Sometimes they are just unceremoniously switched and I notice the guide name in my app has changed.

I just reach out to CS or service now as the tend to be more helpful and responsive. As for the guides I'd ask:

1682533338666.png
My guide, guide Genny, has been an absolute pleasure to work with. I’ve emailed her 10-12 times over a year and she always responds within a day with good info. She led me wrong once, but it wasn’t her fault and she was profusely apologetic. She’s the best! Can’t wait to take delivery here soon of an R1S and bring her a nice gift.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My guide, guide Genny, has been an absolute pleasure to work with. I’ve emailed her 10-12 times over a year and she always responds within a day with good info. She led me wrong once, but it wasn’t her fault and she was profusely apologetic. She’s the best! Can’t wait to take delivery here soon of an R1S and bring her a nice gift.
Genny was my guide for the R1S. She has been great. My guide for the R1T was good too at the time.

CascadianApe

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Ops
These folks probably did not want to move to Normal IL, since Rivian co-located much of the workforce at the factory (as they should).
Well they probably didn't want to work the mandatory 12hr/7day shifts in Normal, IL....

CascadianApe

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Ops
Someone I know got axed in the earlier cut. His compensation package was more than fair IMO.
I'll confirm the July package was SOLID! It was especially nice for EEAP employees.
Sponsored