Sponsored

Retractable Folding Mirrors

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Is anyone aware of whether the R1S (or R1T) is going to have electronically retractable mirrors that can be adjusted at the push of a button? Since a lot of the detailed specs and tech is still unfolding, it's likely we don't know as of yet. With that said, does anyone have any thoughts on the matter, especially when compared to existing competitors in the market, and the likelihood of that option being present? I did a search on the forum and was unable to locate a prior discussion of the matter. From what I understand, and from what I read from Rivian on Twitter, is that the referenced 79 inch width is with the mirrors folded, which would work fine, but only if they could retract on demand. My garage bays are separated by a center column so I only have so much width available to enter/exit. Having the mirrors automatically fold up when the vehicle is turned off would be great, but that's not going to help me when entering/exiting the garage. It could be a deal breaker, as i'd rather not have a possible few inches or less to spare each and every time i enter or exit. I'm definitely not going to fold the mirrors manually each time just to make it work. I've done that before. It gets old rather quickly! Maybe i'll buy a new house ;) Thanks in advance! Greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
It's going to be luxury vehicle for sure and I would assume that auto folding mirrors would be among the bells and whistles but of course I am not sure.

For reference, the Teslas have a control for folding and unfolding and it seems they fold whenever one is out of the car. They also fold automatically when you approach your garage and unfold when you leave it (if you enable that feature). I'm expecting something similar.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
It's going to be luxury vehicle for sure and I would assume that auto folding mirrors would be among the bells and whistles but of course I am not sure.

For reference, the Teslas have a control for folding and unfolding and it seems they fold whenever one is out of the car. They also fold automatically when you approach your garage (if you enable that feature). I'm expecting something similar.
Thanks for your thoughts. I truly hope that happens to be the case. Interesting note about the Teslas. I'm not extremely familiar with them and their nuanced tech capabilities. I've been waiting for an SUV that looks like a traditional SUV, and has the performance capabilities that Rivian is offering. Put in the deposit for the R1S on 10/09/2020. I'm sure I have a wait, even after the first ones roll off the line in August (hopefully).

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director

For reference, the Teslas have a control for folding and unfolding and it seems they fold whenever one is out of the car. They also fold automatically when you approach your garage and unfold when you leave it (if you enable that feature). I'm expecting something similar.
Actually the first batch to Tesla Model S did NOT have folding mirrors, my 2013 did not have it, while my 2016 does. So I still think it is a valid question/concern, because not having folding mirrors was a nightmare for me.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Tesla's history has no bearing and indeed Telsa's current practice cannot be considered indicative. Given that they do use them now and that the Rivians will be direct competitors it is reasonable to suppose that Rivian might have them too. But the operative word is "might".

Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic

Sponsored

HalcyonRider

First Name
Segundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pathfinder, R1200GSA
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
OP
OP

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Rivian rep just informed me "on demand" folding mirrors will be present in addition to the following details regarding the mirrors:

Auto Dimming
Power Folding - Yep, I listed this again. How he pasted it in the chat.
Power Glass Adjust with Memory
High Gloss Arm and Base
Body Color Cap
Puddle Lamps
Integrated Turn Signals
Blindspot indicator
Surround View Camera
Heated Mirror

Apparently they said the configurator would have been delayed if they incorporated all the details. Seriously? Just delay the configurator. Not like we have to wait months anyways!!! ;)

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Rivian rep just informed me "on demand" folding mirrors will be present in addition to the following details regarding the mirrors:

Auto Dimming
Power Folding - Yep, I listed this again. How he pasted it in the chat.
Power Glass Adjust with Memory
High Gloss Arm and Base
Body Color Cap
Puddle Lamps
Integrated Turn Signals
Blindspot indicator
Surround View Camera
Heated Mirror

Apparently they said the configurator would have been delayed if they incorporated all the details. Seriously? Just delay the configurator. Not like we have to wait months anyways!!! ;)
Yeah, I think they rushed it after their mistake with the 11/16 date. They always kept saying at the end of the year, so we should wait until then or early next year for a configurator refresh

OP
OP

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX