Sponsored

Retractable Folding Mirrors

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
I really hope you can open and close the charge port door from the screen. Have they said anything about that?

In my BMW it's manual so you can't do either and there have been many times where I had to lock then unlock then lock then unlock my car before the charge port finally unlocks.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Again I fully expect functionality similar to Tesla's with one excpetion. In the Tesla you can open the charge port door from the touch screen or by pressing briefly on a corner of the door or via the smart phone app or by pressing a button on the charging wand. It is this last feature that I do not expect to see on the Rivian since it will use standard CCS1 wands. The Tesla wand is locked in during charging and stays locked until you release it through the app, the touchscreen or the wand button. Pressing the wand button will terminate an ongoing charge but the key fob must be sensed. This is to prevent someone from terminating your charging session, stealing your UMC or CHAdeMO adapter etc. Rivian will need some way of implementing these "security" functions - probably be done through the app. The door closes automatically when the charging wand is removed.

Last edited:

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I really hope you can open and close the charge port door from the screen. Have they said anything about that?

In my BMW it's manual so you can't do either and there have been many times where I had to lock then unlock then lock then unlock my car before the charge port finally unlocks.
I felt that need was lazy until I'm constantly getting a message on the Bolt that the charge door is open.

OP
OP

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Someone needs to bust out the tape measurer over at the factory!

First link below says 81 inches when folded. Individual vehicle specs pages say 79. Transformers are real!

https://rivian.com/support/article/what-is-the-vehicle-width-with-the-side-mirrors-folded

https://rivian.com/r1s#specs
I ended up asking about this.....

Response from Rivian:

"I can confirm that both vehicle widths with the wing mirrors folded in are 2076 mm (81.7 inches). I apologize for the potential confusion."

Shouldn't be a big deal for pretty much 99 percent of people, but they might want to update their "Specs" page now. Ha!

Last edited:

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Again I fully expect functionality similar to Tesla's with one excpetion. In the Tesla you can open the charge port door from the touch screen or by pressing briefly on a corner of the door or via the smart phone app or by pressing a button on the charging wand. It is this last feature that I do not expect to see on the Rivian since it will use standard CCS1 wands. The wand is locked in during charging and stays locked until you release it through the app, the touchscreen or the wand button. Pressing the wand button will terminate an ongoing charge but the key fob must be sensed. This is to prevent someone from terminating your charging session, stealing your UMC or CHAdeMO adapter etc. Rivian will need some way of implementing these "security" functions - probably be done through the app. The door closes automatically when the charging wand is removed.
CCS does not allow you to unlock via the "wand" (FYI I have never heard it called that) button until power from the charger is off. You can command it off from the charger or from the car, but current has to be off to unock the connector from the car. The car locks the connector so that no one can pull it out suddenly.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
CCS does not allow you to unlock via the "wand" (FYI I have never heard it called that) button until power from the charger is off. You can command it off from the charger or from the car, but current has to be off to unock the connector from the car. The car locks the connector so that no one can pull it out suddenly.
When using the J1772 portion of the CCS connector, it is not locked and pressing the button on the nozzle to will terminate the charging session and (usually) allow the nozzle to be removed from the car.
There are a few vehicles that lock the nozzle to the car until the owner releases it, and on some it can be configured in the menu. European vehicles tens to have this feature since the charging stations don't have cords/plugs - you bring your own.
As with most things, there are advantages and disadvantages to both options.
If the connector remains locked to the car even after the charge session is complete, it potentially prevents someone else from getting a charge when you are done unless you return to your vehicle and unplug.
On the other hand, someone can interrupt your charge session at any time if the nozzle isn't locked. Many nozzles do have a means of using a small padlock to prevent releasing them from the car - useful on portable EVSEs.

OP
OP

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
I think this may be going off topic (like most threads!) ;) For those interested in updated vehicle widths with mirrors folded that were confirmed from Rivian today, please see post # 19.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
When using the J1772 portion of the CCS connector, it is not locked and pressing the button on the nozzle to will terminate the charging session and (usually) allow the nozzle to be removed from the car.
There are a few vehicles that lock the nozzle to the car until the owner releases it, and on some it can be configured in the menu. European vehicles tens to have this feature since the charging stations don't have cords/plugs - you bring your own.
As with most things, there are advantages and disadvantages to both options.
If the connector remains locked to the car even after the charge session is complete, it potentially prevents someone else from getting a charge when you are done unless you return to your vehicle and unplug.
On the other hand, someone can interrupt your charge session at any time if the nozzle isn't locked. Many nozzles do have a means of using a small padlock to prevent releasing them from the car - useful on portable EVSEs.
Yes, I was only talking about DC fast charging with CCS, not the J1772 240V charging. With CCS it becomes locked because breaking a circuit with up to 900V or 500A suddenly is not safe, and can damage the car or the charger itself, as the warning in my owners manual points out. Not to mention that if it is raining the person with the plug in their hand might suffer some damage also.:devil:

Kat

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Actually the first batch to Tesla Model S did NOT have folding mirrors, my 2013 did not have it, while my 2016 does. So I still think it is a valid question/concern, because not having folding mirrors was a nightmare for me.
I too did not have them on my early model S, I didn’t have bumper sensors either which was very disappointing at that price point. So yes, I second your input!?

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I too did not have them on my early model S, I didn’t have bumper sensors either which was very disappointing at that price point. So yes, I second your input!?
Oh boy, do not get me started on the front sensors on my 2013, I had to put one of those lasers in my garage, between that and the mirrors, pulling into my garage was like playing Tetris, on expert mode!
Sponsored

Reactions: Kat