Sponsored

Reservations About My Reservation

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Rivian keeps losing me more and more with every press release. They really have not defined their audience well. People who want an adventure vehicle don't want to waste money on a plush interior. People who want luxury galore probably aren't gonna go off-roading. Like I think thick canvas seats would be awesome so my dogs don't tear them up. The idea of any type of plastic interior is not appealing to me. I want a big battery pack and long range, but I don't need heated and cooled seats, 7 way seats, automatic environmental controls, a stupid expensive radio, etc. I want a simple, rugged, and capable vehicle. I don't think the Rivian is going to be that. I think it is going to be like a Range Rover. All about bragging rights, but rarely ever utilized.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Rivian keeps losing me more and more with every press release. They really have not defined their audience well. People who want an adventure vehicle don't want to waste money on a plush interior. People who want luxury galore probably aren't gonna go off-roading. Like I think thick canvas seats would be awesome so my dogs don't tear them up. The idea of any type of plastic interior is not appealing to me. I want a big battery pack and long range, but I don't need heated and cooled seats, 7 way seats, automatic environmental controls, a stupid expensive radio, etc. I want a simple, rugged, and capable vehicle. I don't think the Rivian is going to be that. I think it is going to be like a Range Rover. All about bragging rights, but rarely ever utilized.
Personally, I think they nailed it. Interior will be luxurious enough, and made with durable & easy to clean materials.

I want heated & cooled seats, premium audio, and I'm sure both will be upgrades. You will be able to get a scaled down model, but I don't think it will be as bare bones as you hope. These are aimed to be lifestyle vehicles, not stripped down work vehicles; most people looking to buy in this price range will expect higher end options.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
To be fair, Rivian has always positioned themselves as a high end vehicle. In one of the first interviews I read with RJ, he was asked if it would be fair to say that the R1S was like a cross between a Range Rover and a Model X, and he said that was accurate.

So the luxury aspect has always been there. I don’t recall anyone from Rivian ever saying that this was going to be a bare-bones utility vehicle

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
To be fair, Rivian has always positioned themselves as a high end vehicle. In one of the first interviews I read with RJ, he was asked if it would be fair to say that the R1S was like a cross between a Range Rover and a Model X, and he said that was accurate.

So the luxury aspect has always been there. I don’t recall anyone from Rivian ever saying that this was going to be a bare-bones utility vehicle
They routinely call it an adventure vehicle. A vehicle for people who spend their time outdoors, with dogs, and get dirty. I am just not seeing that with the Rivian.

catmandew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S LE, Lexus ES 350, Chevrolet S10
Given the (understandable) delays at Rivian, it is taking some effort to stay the course. Want... electric... SUV... now... argh...

I've seen new Audi e-tron SUVs advertised for $12k off the MSRP - so about $71k for a Prestige model (before the tax credit). Audi is a solid luxury brand - I love my A6, but the 200 mile range of the e-tron is disappointing.

Might go ahead & lease one until my R1S arrives (reserved mid-March 2019). Of course, the tax credit goes to the leasing company - wonder if that lowers the principal on the lease by $7,500?

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
They routinely call it an adventure vehicle. A vehicle for people who spend their time outdoors, with dogs, and get dirty. I am just not seeing that with the Rivian.
Unless they have greatly changed the interiors, you should be able to hose down the interior of the vehicles which would allow it to get dirty. So other than saying that they want the interior to be nice, how have made the vehicles unacceptable to get dirty? A nice interior can mean many things. Just as an example, one of the things that makes luxury interiors Luxury isn't that they can't get dirty, but that they are quiet.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
These are quotes from RJ when they unveiled the R1T. Rivian as a brand seems to focus on high end materials that shouldn't be concerned with getting them dirty.

"We want to focus on the aspirational side. We want to focus on something people desire," he told reporters at a preview event in early November at Rivian's headquarters in Plymouth, Michigan. Yet at the same time, he says Rivian will build, "Products that are designed to be used, to get dirty."

LIKE A RANGE ROVER
Scaringe declined to discuss pricing in a short talk with Trucks.com amid dozens of selfies with depositors. But he acknowledged that Rivian was similar to Range Rover regarding pricing – upscale – and target customers: those looking for off-road adventure capability. “We’ve turned away several big fleet inquiries,” he said, “because that’s really not our brand.”

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I think you are in the small minority that would want a "basic" or somewhat spartan interior in a $70K vehicle

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I've seen new Audi e-tron SUVs advertised for $12k off the MSRP - so about $71k for a Prestige model (before the tax credit). Audi is a solid luxury brand - I love my A6, but the 200 mile range of the e-tron is disappointing.
Of course, the tax credit goes to the leasing company - wonder if that lowers the principal on the lease by $7,500?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no, sometimes it reduces the payment in other ways besides a straight up Capital Cost Reduction.

BMW did not pass on the entire $7,500 in the early leases for the i3 - IIRC it was ~$4,500 of it.
Chevy's early leases on the Bolt applied about ~$3,500 as a CCR, with additional amounts going to an artificially high residual value reducing the depreciation and rent portions of the lease (GM financial could not sell it for the residual at the end of the lease and therefoe showed an early profit offset by a loss at lease end) combined with a below market money factor. All of these worked to get about the same monthly payment as if they had directly applied the $7,500 as a CCR.

If you haven't seen it before, this site can be a nice source of info when lease shopping:
http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/

My local Audi dealers shows that they are applying $7,500 as a CCR on their advertised e tron leases.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I want a big battery pack and long range, but I don't need heated and cooled seats, 7 way seats, automatic environmental controls, a stupid expensive radio, etc. I want a simple, rugged, and capable vehicle.
Bollinger sounds more like your cup of tea although as a boutique offering it's a bit pricey for a TOAD.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
... If you haven't seen it before, this site can be a nice source of info when lease shopping:
http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/
What a useful site - thanks! An additional consideration is what loyalty incentive a manufacturer may offer to keep you in the family - BMW for example offered me an additional several thousand dollars off the i3s (Rex) in addition to the Federal Tax Credit if I could show I'd owned one already.

James Hunt

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota tundra
As sit here waiting for Rivian to publish more information about the R1T. Some doubts have crept into my thoughts. Do I want to plop down 70K plus (depending upon options) for a truck I have not even seen in person and reconfigure my garage? I still have so many questions - location of charging stations, service and maintenance, warranty, financing options, insurance cost, options for truck configurations, and possible issues with a new first-run vehicle. I am sure I will have other questions in the future. Does anyone else have these concerns, or is this a case of pandemicitis?
I have thought the same thing

James Hunt

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota tundra
I have all those same thoughts and concerns. I realize I’m not behaving reasonably buying an unseen, unproven vehicle Just because I’ve wanted an electric truck for YEARS.
Sponsored