Repeat Chime Camp Speaker Troubleshooting

AMPRVA

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T Forthcoming
I started to hear a random chime repeating every 15 seconds or so, along with a sound snippet that sounded like someone speaking the word “hundred” super fast. It would not stop during or after a soft (infotainment) or hard reboot. There was nothing in the owners manual, so I put in a service ticket.

Central service called me and said it’s the camp speaker low battery warning. I’ve only used it once since taking delivery 5 months ago, about 3 weeks ago for 3 hours. Why it’s not charging while connected to the console is a mystery. However, letting the truck lock (walking away from my R1T with the proximity key) the chime did stop, but would resume upon entering the truck again.

service suggested I remove the speaker and charge it at home overnight using a USB-C cable. No dice. No lights, no sound, nothing, but at least the chime stopped. Then they suggested I reboot the speaker. There are two kinds of reboot (while plugged in at home)… soft reboot is holding the connect button for 30 seconds. That did nothing. The factory reset requires holding the activity + volume down + play/pause buttons simultaneously for 7 seconds. That illuminated the power button for the 1st time and began a reboot sequence of sounds, but the chime resumed. I figured it at least was finally accepting a charge, so I let it keep chiming for 15 minutes or so and called service again.

They had me do the factory reset a second time, this time while it was on and chiming, and that finally made the chime stop.

According to service, this is a known issue and they get calls all the time. Delivery techs are supposed to advise that we remove the speaker and charge it at home initially. Why that would be necessary is a mystery.

I have a service visit coming up for other issues and they will inspect and perhaps replace the speaker or the console, assuming it’s still not charging correctly.

Sponsored