Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

We were also planning to hold off for the removable roof, unlike some in this thread that HATE HATE HATE sunroofs and I'm sure are super fun at parties. I guess I'd have to think long and hard about if driving around with a multi-piece, Bronco-esque solid plastic roof 90% of the time would be worth the topless 10%. I agree that Ford's operable panoramic unit will likely be best in class.
If absolute unconditional love of all sunroof types is your sole criteria for whoā€™s fun at a party then I should hang my head in shame and make a hasty exit at the next party I attend when the topic of conversation shifts to sunroofs. ? If youā€™re there Iā€™ll hold the door for you since youā€™re not completely committed to a Bronco type setup. :)

Seriously, I LOVE LOVE LOVE sunroofs to the point that I havenā€™t bought a new car with a metal roof and without a sunroof since 2001. Iā€™ve had experience with a removable panel type sunroof and have no interest in another setup like that in anything other than a sports car. Weā€™ve done enough bumpy off-roading that our 2006 Land Roverā€™s operable sunroof rattles like crazy most of the time off-road and way more than Iā€™d like on-road. For a vehicle that weā€™re going to take off-road Iā€™m totally fine with Rivianā€™s solid glass roof, assuming that they donā€˜t do what you experienced with your Tesla.

My ideal sunroof for an off-roader would be a lightly-tinted one-piece glass panel with UV and IR filtering plus a power sunshade. My ideal for an on-pavement car sunroof is a giant glass panoramic type with power vent and open plus a power sunshade.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Too bad Rivian nixed the electrochromic roof, that would be neat. Obviously insanely expensive, which is why it didnā€™t make production. but thereā€™s always later

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Too bad Rivian nixed the electrochromic roof, that would be neat. Obviously insanely expensive, which is why it didnā€™t make production. but thereā€™s always later
I also heard it was inferior at rejecting heat...

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Iā€™d prefer a solid metal roof over the panoramic roof. Where I live in the forest, having a tree branch fall on your car is a real concern and roof glass is expensive to replace.

Iā€™m just glad the glass is fixed. Sunroofs have internal drains, and those drains eventually clog and leak. This car is going to be so incredibly integrated that finding a short would be a nightmare.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

While the electro-chromatic roof would have been a great, albeit expensive feature, I'd rather have a light tint and a sunshade. As we know, few, if any of us have seen the original offering, so I'll reserve judgement until I sit under it in intense sunlight. At the very least, it looks large enough to provide all folks in the front two rows plenty of view out of the top. Hopefully, it's not too dark.

I'm guessing some aftermarket or factory option will provide an easily-folded and stored screen to block the light and reflect the heat. If not, this community will figure out a cheap way to make that happen.

Pugster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ford F150
Put me in the happy with the glass roof crowd. Iā€™m sure itā€™s somewhat dependant on where you live, but 3 years with our 3 and I love the glass roof. My brotherā€™s sunroof quit working on his out-of-warranty F150ā€¦.the bill to repair was in the thousands as itā€™s not easy to re and re. Iā€™m not always a simple is best person but in this case I like the ā€œairinessā€ of the glass roof without the added complexity of something that Iā€™m not going to use much at all.

The removable roof would be fun, but I think for our use case it would be closed at least 95% of the time. Happy camper (and hunter, and fisherman) here with the glass.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Put me in the happy with the glass roof crowd. Iā€™m sure itā€™s somewhat dependant on where you live, but 3 years with our 3 and I love the glass roof. My brotherā€™s sunroof quit working on his out-of-warranty F150ā€¦.the bill to repair was in the thousands as itā€™s not easy to re and re. Iā€™m not always a simple is best person but in this case I like the ā€œairinessā€ of the glass roof without the added complexity of something that Iā€™m not going to use much at all.

The removable roof would be fun, but I think for our use case it would be closed at least 95% of the time. Happy camper (and hunter, and fisherman) here with the glass.
I think if the options were some version of openable glass roof, or a fixed glass roof, with no option for a fixed metal roof, Iā€™d pick the fixed glass one. No roof drains to deal with, much lower probability of seals not sealing, no opening mechanism to worry about.
although my preference is a fixed metal roof.

Last edited:

Pugster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ford F150
I think if the options were some version of openable glass roof, or a fixed glass roof, with no option for a fixed metal roof, Iā€™d pick the fixed glass one. No roof drains to deal with, much lower probability of seals not sealing, no opening mechanism to worry about.
although my preference is a fixed metal roof.
Thereā€™s probably a lot of overlap between this thread and the ā€œmall warriorā€ one on the forum. People like what they like and thatā€™s cool. Not everyone will want a glass roof, or removable panels - and not everyone will be using the trucks full capabilities.

It really comes down to ā€œwhatever blows your hair backā€ (pun intended) although in this case itā€™s just going to be open windows for the meantime ?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thereā€™s probably a lot of overlap between this thread and the ā€œmall warriorā€ one on the forum. People like what they like and thatā€™s cool. Not everyone will want a glass roof, or removable panels - and not everyone will be using the trucks full capabilities.

It really comes down to ā€œwhatever blows your hair backā€ (pun intended) although in this case itā€™s just going to be open windows for the meantime ?
Yes. An option for removable roof panels would be fun but not for me.

unless Rivian comes up with something really slick. Then Iā€™ll probably be tempted to add that option ?

Sponsored

R1TCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW R1150 GSA
When party and open roof's are mentioned this scene comes to mind:
Rivian R1T R1S Removable Roof Option zoolander

Rivian R1T R1S Removable Roof Option zoolander2

With that out of the way... I'll say I like the idea of the removable roof, but in practice and high percentage of the time, I wouldn't use it on my R1T.

JeepersAlley

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Mod 3, 23 Ford Lightning, 23 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Semi Retired
I was interested, but then was told the removable roof will be solid, and not glass. Not interested.
This is the first Iā€™m hearing the removable roof would be solid. ? I am waiting for the removable roof and the extended battery option, so either way, itā€™ll be a while.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

No.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When party and open roof's are mentioned this scene comes to mind:
zoolander.gif

zoolander2.gif

With that out of the way... I'll say I like the idea of the removable roof, but in practice and high percentage of the time, I wouldn't use it on my R1T.
No tragic gasoline fight mishaps with electric vehicles!