Sponsored

Random Order number question

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Hi everyone - I ordered in Spring 2019 (wow, seems like a long time ago). My configuration says "117**" with the stars being two numbers. What do we believe this translates into my actual order number?

One reason I ask is that some have said the Launch Edition orders seem to be in the handful of thousands, but my number on the web looks to be at least 11,0000. I realize there may be placedholders in there.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Hi everyone - I ordered in Spring 2019 (wow, seems like a long time ago). My configuration says "117**" with the stars being two numbers. What do we believe this translates into my actual order number?

One reason I ask is that some have said the Launch Edition orders seem to be in the handful of thousands, but my number on the web looks to be at least 11,0000. I realize there may be placedholders in there.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Sorry - extra 0 - meant 'at least 11,000'.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
You'll get plenty of more informed responses, but here is my take. There was definitely a linear correlation to that number until they realized people could see it and were making assumptions about it and changed it to some randomized number. I believe someone figured out it started at 1000, not 0, so you could theoretically subtract 1000 from you number. I have also seen it stated that the numbers increased if someone just accessed the preorder page, even if they never paid the $1000 to finalize a preorder, so it would significantly overestimate the number of actual preorders. I believe this is probably correct. I placed my order in Mar 2020 and my number was somwhere between 43-44k. While it is possible that they only had a few thousand more preorders between Mar 2020 and Sep 2021 when they listed the 48k number in their S1, I would think it would be more than that over 1.5 years. Meaning my actual number in line is less than 43k. Similarly, I think you are significantly less than 11k (or 10k baseline if it indeed started at 1000)

Going forward, in light of their failures at communicating just about anything to preorder holders, how hard would it be to just give everyone their actual "number in line"? I fully understand that is not and will not be the order in which vehicles are delivered as that is rightfully impacted by multiple factors like configuration and geographic location. But it at least gives me some objective measure of progress as they inch toward increasing reported deliveries month to month over the next year or two. Not to mention that the number would only get smaller and smaller through a combination of deliveries and cancellations. Unfortunately, it looks like RJ's grand visions of building a company from the ground up to be able to avoid all the negatives in the current industry don't include improving the transparency lacking in corporate practices.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/find-your-rivian-order-number-post-it-here.644/

Best peruse the above thread rather than start anew but for those who don't want to investigate here is Rhidan's conclusion from there:

Here's the story: In July 2020, when Rivian news was all but a trickle, some enterprising Riviot sleuths discovered that encoded in the emails Rivian sent (and later your Rivian login) was a specific ID number of each pre-order holder. After some further sleuthing, it was determined that this ID number increased sequentially based on the date that each pre-order holder made their reservation. Thus, the assumption was that this number was your Rivian pre-order number and showed your place in line.

Forum members posted their order number and pre-order date. Other members were able to chart these numbers and make guesses about order rates and delivery timing.

There appeared to be some quirks in the sequence of numbers. Order numbers appeared to start at 1,000; there was a gap of 10,000 numbers between Dec 31, 2019 and Jan 1, 2020; and another gap of 5,000 at the end of April 2020. Later data points may have filled in some of these gaps.

Around August 2020, and likely in response to the sleuths, Rivian's order system changed. People who placed a pre-order staring around August 2020 started getting a random 7 digit user ID rather than the sequential order number. If you made a deposit after this date, you do not get a sequential user ID number like those who preordered prior to this date.

Sometime later, some other enterprising Riviots pointed out that the Order numbers may have been over reporting the actual number or Rivian pre-order numbers. Rivian's website may have been generating numbers when people put a pre-order in their "cart" but did not actually go through with the deposit.

Fast forward to today and we now know from Rivian's S-1 IPO filing that Rivian had 48,390 R1T/R1S preorders as of September 30, 2021 (apparently inclusive of LE and non-LE orders).

Rivian also has made clear that is not delivering vehicles sequentially based entirely on preorder number priority. Rivian is delivering LE R1Ts first, based on when the preorder was placed, the location of the order, and the vehicle configuration ordered. What we have seen recently is that Rivian appears to be planning initial deliveries in locations where it has a completed service center, so at least initially not to deliver a vehicle somewhere Rivian cannot easily service it.

The real kicker is that all the final analysis on the Nov 2018 - August 2020 "preorder numbers" showed that the numbers increased sequentially at a fairly linear rate. In other words, the date in which you made your deposit between when preorders were first accepted (Nov 2018) and when LE vehicles sold out (Nov 2020) is likely a better indicator of your "priority" than any hidden number.

...and remember RIVN has stated order date is only one factor in determining your 'place in line'- geography, model, options, completion of service infrastructure, if you work for Amazon or not...all RIVN reported factors that impact your delivery date. (okay that last one is unconfirmed but it sure looks true...)

OP
OP

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/find-your-rivian-order-number-post-it-here.644/

Best peruse the above thread rather than start anew but for those who don't want to investigate here is Rhidan's conclusion from there:

Here's the story: In July 2020, when Rivian news was all but a trickle, some enterprising Riviot sleuths discovered that encoded in the emails Rivian sent (and later your Rivian login) was a specific ID number of each pre-order holder. After some further sleuthing, it was determined that this ID number increased sequentially based on the date that each pre-order holder made their reservation. Thus, the assumption was that this number was your Rivian pre-order number and showed your place in line.

Forum members posted their order number and pre-order date. Other members were able to chart these numbers and make guesses about order rates and delivery timing.

There appeared to be some quirks in the sequence of numbers. Order numbers appeared to start at 1,000; there was a gap of 10,000 numbers between Dec 31, 2019 and Jan 1, 2020; and another gap of 5,000 at the end of April 2020. Later data points may have filled in some of these gaps.

Around August 2020, and likely in response to the sleuths, Rivian's order system changed. People who placed a pre-order staring around August 2020 started getting a random 7 digit user ID rather than the sequential order number. If you made a deposit after this date, you do not get a sequential user ID number like those who preordered prior to this date.

Sometime later, some other enterprising Riviots pointed out that the Order numbers may have been over reporting the actual number or Rivian pre-order numbers. Rivian's website may have been generating numbers when people put a pre-order in their "cart" but did not actually go through with the deposit.

Fast forward to today and we now know from Rivian's S-1 IPO filing that Rivian had 48,390 R1T/R1S preorders as of September 30, 2021 (apparently inclusive of LE and non-LE orders).

Rivian also has made clear that is not delivering vehicles sequentially based entirely on preorder number priority. Rivian is delivering LE R1Ts first, based on when the preorder was placed, the location of the order, and the vehicle configuration ordered. What we have seen recently is that Rivian appears to be planning initial deliveries in locations where it has a completed service center, so at least initially not to deliver a vehicle somewhere Rivian cannot easily service it.

The real kicker is that all the final analysis on the Nov 2018 - August 2020 "preorder numbers" showed that the numbers increased sequentially at a fairly linear rate. In other words, the date in which you made your deposit between when preorders were first accepted (Nov 2018) and when LE vehicles sold out (Nov 2020) is likely a better indicator of your "priority" than any hidden number.

...and remember RIVN has stated order date is only one factor in determining your 'place in line'- geography, model, options, completion of service infrastructure, if you work for Amazon or not...all RIVN reported factors that impact your delivery date. (okay that last one is unconfirmed but it sure looks true...)
Thank you both! I cheated. I knew I could not figure it out from the thread because it became so long, so I asked again. Guilty, but I appreciate the very nice and helpful summary.

OP
OP

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
And I tend to think the speculation is correct about each time you put the order into your cart it added a number, at least for a while. Why? This analysis means I am around number 10,000; but given what Rivian is saying about deliveries being done for launch around June and also delivering non launch R1Ts (I am R1s), it has to be that the launches are fairly low like MTB says - maybe a handful of thousands; all that is consistent with this.
Sponsored