Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

There's a lot of revisionist nostalgia built into this statement. Tesla's supercharger network opened with a grand total of 7 stations and added 2 (!!) over the next 6-9 months. Here's a chart, from Wikipedia, of the global count of supercharger stations:

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 2.31.21 PM.png

After a full year, Tesla still had just 30 stations. Rivian had 3 open at the end of Q2 2022. They've already opened 3 more. We know of 9 others in some state of construction. We know of 48 others in some state of permitting or contracting. To keep pace with Tesla's network expansion, those 63 known RAN locations would need to open by June 30, 2023, without any other unknown stations opening as well.
Tesla did have the route that they stated by the end of 2013, but it was pretty much the only route they had going at that point. Completely useless to anyone outside of that small window.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Tesla did have the route that they stated by the end of 2013, but it was pretty much the only route they had going at that point. Completely useless to anyone outside of that small window.
well, end of 2013 would be equivalent to June 30, 2023 for the RAN, if comparing the timeline from when each network first opened a station. I fully expect it to be possible for someone to go Oregon to LA using only RAN stations by the end of June 2023.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

well, end of 2013 would be equivalent to June 30, 2023 for the RAN, if comparing the timeline from when each network first opened a station. I fully expect it to be possible for someone to go Oregon to LA using only RAN stations by the end of June 2023.
Gotta get those comparisons and complaints in quick before it's obvious that complaining about the speed they are expanding is obviously wrong.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I'm an R1S reservation holder (2023 delivery) and currently on my third Tesla. I assumed -- apparently in error based on this thread -- that RAN would be able to copy or exceed Tesla's network rollout from 9 years ago. I was happy with that as an early Model S adopter - really no issues over maybe 50 long haul trips between Oregon and Los Angeles over the years. The current RAN rollout looks like a disaster compared to Tesla's rollout a decade ago. I'm not sure I want to buy a car that has to rely on public charging networks -- a big part of being willing to sit in the queue was the thought that the RAN network would be like Tesla's and I wouldn't have to worry about finding a working (and high speed) public charger. As nice as it is to think that I can charge at Yosemite for the one time a decade I go there, I'd rather know that I have a private charging network on the interstate for trips I'm taking all the time.
No worries, SooN the Tesla Superchargers will be available to Rivians

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Gotta get those comparisons and complaints in quick before it's obvious that complaining about the speed they are expanding is obviously wrong.
Facts are subjective sometimes 😉

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how I know about this being a Rivian station and not some off-brand. Pretty sure there's a connection, but I'm not yet sure where to find it.

This charging station and the one in Madras, OR, which does specify "Rivian" as the Project Name, both have the applicant as:
Alan Kangas
Summit Solutions Group, LLC
That's one connection, at least.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

It is good to see the comparison with Tesla and Rivian is aiming to be quicker - which they should be than Tesla in 2012 and 2013. If Rivian is to get close to hitting 600 sites by end of 2023 then that is 500 opening next year or 10 per week which seems a lot at the moment.

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
This location doesn't make any sense to me. There are already EA and EV Go chargers in that mall parking lot.
We need more stations anyway, and those locations were originally picked by EA and EVGo for a reason. A minority will be in new areas like the one in Salida.

If you look at the vague map from Rivian, it mostly overlaps existing EA stations in general locations.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
It is good to see the comparison with Tesla and Rivian is aiming to be quicker - which they should be than Tesla in 2012 and 2013. If Rivian is to get close to hitting 600 sites by end of 2023 then that is 500 opening next year or 10 per week which seems a lot at the moment.
They informally dropped that timeline, 2023 is no longer listed on their website. My guess is it takes a few years to get there. Since they made that plan, massive funding has been provided to build out charging networks, and they've had to recast their cash flow/capital expenditure models.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

They informally dropped that timeline, 2023 is no longer listed on their website. My guess is it takes a few years to get there. Since they made that plan, massive funding has been provided to build out charging networks, and they've had to recast their cash flow/capital expenditure models.
I didn’t realize they dropped that target after trumpeting it less than a year ago. Site selection etc was last year into now with some build out. EA has will have managed to build 1200 locations by 2026 for $2billion so 600 sites in locations similar to EA and their own equipment should be doable for $1b and that should already be budgeted for otherwise the membership program will be a hard sell.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

This location doesn't make any sense to me. There are already EA and EV Go chargers in that mall parking lot.
Consider it a charging hub

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Probably what the city allows without more hoops and loop jumping
Sponsored