First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R3 (s00n)
Rivian El Paso EV Charging Station

750 SUNLAND PARK DR

"Installing electric vehicle charging station in mall parking lot. Installing dispensers in parking stalls and associated power cabinet and switchgear on equipment pad within fenced enclosure. Installing transformer and pad."

OP
OP

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
San Francisco

Interesting that they'll be installing so many "Waypoint" L2 chargers at a single location.

Also really interesting to see their estimated cost for doing it. $142,000 for 34 L2 chargers is an average of $4,176 per charger. Have we seen any estimated costs for one of their RAN DCFC sites to get a ballpark for what those are going to cost per charger?

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Interesting that they'll be installing so many "Waypoint" L2 chargers at a single location.

Also really interesting to see their estimated cost for doing it. $142,000 for 34 L2 chargers is an average of $4,176 per charger. Have we seen any estimated costs for one of their RAN DCFC sites to get a ballpark for what those are going to cost per charger?
Why level 2, unless you are staying overnight level two is not that useful since you get around 20 miles charge per hour. They need more level 3 chargers.

OP
OP

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why level 2, unless you are staying overnight level two is not that useful since you get around 20 miles charge per hour. They need more level 3 chargers.
Rivian says ~25 miles per hour added at their Waypoint chargers. These are at a museum. If you assume most people spend at least 2 hours there, that's 50 miles or more of added range. Someone who lives in an apartment in the Bay Area with no way to charge at home would probably find that quite useful. Someone who drove a couple hours to go to the museum and dinner will probably find it quite useful, and it may be the difference of them not having to make a stop at a DCFC station on their drive to or from.

An L3 charger located somewhere with people spending 2+ hours becomes a major pain in practice. Your vehicle is fully charged in under an hour. That means you have to leave the museum a little while into your visit to move your car.

L3 chargers are very important, but so are L2 chargers. Their use cases are very different. In this instance, L2 chargers can provide a decent mileage increase for up to 34 vehicles at a time for about the same cost as an L3 site with a handful of charging stations, maybe even quite a bit less.

FYI: Rivian plans to install 600 L3 RAN sites with 3,500+ charging units. They also plan to install another 10,000+ Waypoint chargers like this museum setup. Both of those numbers are theoretically installations completed by the end of 2023.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Rivian says ~25 miles per hour added at their Waypoint chargers. These are at a museum. If you assume most people spend at least 2 hours there, that's 50 miles or more of added range. Someone who lives in an apartment in the Bay Area with no way to charge at home would probably find that quite useful. Someone who drove a couple hours to go to the museum and dinner will probably find it quite useful, and it may be the difference of them not having to make a stop at a DCFC station on their drive to or from.

An L3 charger located somewhere with people spending 2+ hours becomes a major pain in practice. Your vehicle is fully charged in under an hour. That means you have to leave the museum a little while into your visit to move your car.

L3 chargers are very important, but so are L2 chargers. Their use cases are very different. In this instance, L2 chargers can provide a decent mileage increase for up to 34 vehicles at a time for about the same cost as an L3 site with a handful of charging stations, maybe even quite a bit less.

FYI: Rivian plans to install 600 L3 RAN sites with 3,500+ charging units. They also plan to install another 10,000+ Waypoint chargers like this museum setup. Both of those numbers are theoretically installations completed by the end of 2023.
I agree L2s have their place but typically at work places, hotels or at home where you charge for many hours. Restaurants, most attractions and highways need L3 so you can get a good % of charge in say 30-60 minutes. For example if I am driving across country and stopping for lunch I want 200+ miles while having lunch. L2 doesn’t cut it in that use case.

OP
OP

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree L2s have their place but typically at work places, hotels or at home where you charge for many hours. Restaurants, most attractions and highways need L3 so you can get a good % of charge in say 30-60 minutes. For example if I am driving across country and stopping for lunch I want 200+ miles while having lunch. L2 doesn’t cut it in that use case.
Sure, but nobody is stopping at an art museum in downtown San Francisco for 30-60 minutes as a break on a road trip. As I said in my first response: Rivian is planning to build over 13,000 chargers in the next 2 years and change. 3,500 of them will be L3 chargers in places where those make sense--along highways where people will want to stop and charge rapidly while grabbing a quick bite to eat. A museum in the middle of a large park with lots of other amenities and activities is a perfect L2 site, IMO.

FWIW, 600+ charging stations and 3,500 chargers would put the RAN L3 network at about the same size as the EA network was earlier this year. That's a pretty big L3 network, especially for a single car brand. I doubt they will stop building stations at that point, even if their pace of construction will likely slow down for a bit until their customer base gets larger.

fergie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
05 4Runner, 22 Kia EV6
Rivian replaced two Blink chargers with their own at Radnor State Park in Nashville as part of a deal with TN State Parks. Opening ceremony was October 1st. 36.0619989,-86.8097135

Rivian R1T R1S RAN Rivian Charging Stations Locations Map via Google Maps 1637599113596

Rivian R1T R1S RAN Rivian Charging Stations Locations Map via Google Maps 1637599210506

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Rivian replaced two Blink chargers with their own at Radnor State Park in Nashville as part of a deal with TN State Parks. Opening ceremony was October 1st. 36.0619989,-86.8097135

1637599113596.png

1637599210506.png
Are these L2 or L3?

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Sure, but nobody is stopping at an art museum in downtown San Francisco for 30-60 minutes as a break on a road trip. As I said in my first response: Rivian is planning to build over 13,000 chargers in the next 2 years and change. 3,500 of them will be L3 chargers in places where those make sense--along highways where people will want to stop and charge rapidly while grabbing a quick bite to eat. A museum in the middle of a large park with lots of other amenities and activities is a perfect L2 site, IMO.

FWIW, 600+ charging stations and 3,500 chargers would put the RAN L3 network at about the same size as the EA network was earlier this year. That's a pretty big L3 network, especially for a single car brand. I doubt they will stop building stations at that point, even if their pace of construction will likely slow down for a bit until their customer base gets larger.
Agreed but you are also not at the museum for eight hours. So let’s say three hours and you get 60-75 miles charge. Better than nothing but not really much more than 25% of charge. L3 would get you full and eliminate any range anxiety people have.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Agreed but you are also not at the museum for eight hours. So let’s say three hours and you get 60-75 miles charge. Better than nothing but not really much more than 25% of charge. L3 would get you full and eliminate any range anxiety people have.
Do you want to get 32 people 75 miles, or one person 250 miles + a surcharge for not moving their truck while they're in the museum?

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Do you want to get 32 people 75 miles, or one person 250 miles + a surcharge for not moving their truck while they're in the museum?
I don’t see the 1 vs 32. You could in an extreme have 32 L3 chargers. I would have a mix so people have a choice. Why all or nothing?

OP
OP

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don’t see the 1 vs 32. You could in an extreme have 32 L3 chargers. I would have a mix so people have a choice. Why all or nothing?
$$$$ For $142k, they might not even be able to install a single L3 charger.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management

New 250+KW DCFC cost vary greatly between $10K and 150K depending on the location and surrounding electrical infrastructure. Keep in mind that a bank of 8 EA DCFC in a Walmart has an electrical demand about equal to the entire Walmart it often requires the utility company to upgrade the service transformer and sometimes even as far back as the nearest substation for larger DCFC sites. The slower 50KW DCFC more common at dealerships I would think would cost more in the $10K range as they are less likely to require new upgraded services from the host site.
Sponsored