First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Retired + part-time government
I know there's still 2-3 years to go before we start seeing R2 deliveries in Canada but was curious about Canadian pricing, especially as it increasingly looks like Quebec will be scrapping all EV incentives by Jan. 1, 2027 (great timing).

I'd assumed tacking on about 10k to the US price would give a reasonable estimate, however looking at the US/CDN pricing on the R1, it appears that Rivian don't absorb any of the exchange rate when pricing its Canadian vehicles.

When I looked at other EVs with comparable starting prices as the R2, I get between 8-10k price difference (Kia EV9, Tesla Model Y, Ford Mach-E) for the same vehicles on both sides of the border. But when looking at the R1 series, the price difference varies between 20-30k, depending on model/trim.

I'm worried that should that be the case with the R2, it might end up being close to $90k CDN once trim/packages/wheels, etc are added -- with zero offset from rebates (the 5k federal incentive doesn't look likely to continue beyond 2025).

The one bit of hope I'm holding out for is that we might get LFP batteries in the R2, as prices for these are projected to drop below $100 US/kWh by 2025, and CATL's latest packs are approaching 90% of the energy density of their latest Li-ion packs.

Otherwise I fear we might be in store for a bit of sticker shock when the time comes.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
R2 pricing will be announced the day they open a service centre in PEI.

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
I was originally thinking it would be $79k Canadian. But if they can hit $45k usd to start it should be around $65k cdn
Sponsored