Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicles
GMC Acadia, Infiniti QX60
Occupation
Photographer
Thanks for sharing. Planning to tow a 6700 lb (dry), 28ft Airstream with a Max Pack R1T (on reserve). The benefit of the Airstream is the aerodynamics, giving them about 20% better range compared to boxy-design trailers.

I was wondering if a standard designed topper over the bed would help with aerodynamics, helping to direct air around the trailer. Would love to see someone test this.
Sponsored

Tomgriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 MS 70D, 2017 Chevy Bolt Premier, T700
Thanks for posting. It is good to get real world examples. I have always thought that distance towing with any large, boxy trailer is not going to be practical with any EV. I've towed a lot with ICE vehicles and the pop-up trailer gave much less of a mileage hit than a cargo trailer of the same weight (~3,000 lbs). The amount of hit will be largely dependent on trailer aerodynamics first and weight second. Here are a couple of videos that might be of interest to anyone who is thinking about towing with an EV:

- from Two Bit da Vinci, goes into formulas and why trailering has a large impact on range

- from Out of Spec, comparing trailer shape and weight impact on range (hint, shape is more important than weight)

OP
OP
DannyC

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Yes they are the 20" AT tires. The tires themselves are about 34" in diameter. The mileage on the way back is much worse because I just drove it like I didn't care about mileage. I figure if I was hypermiling then I might get closer to the 1 mile pre kWh.

I agree that its mostly the aerodynamics thats the issue not the weight.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

It would be great if there was a standard index that could be used to rate the tow efficiency of trailers. Something that aggregates aerodynamic drag, friction losses due to the extra axle, and drag on the tow vehicle drivetrain.

If I were a trailer dealer or manufacturer, I’d be all over this for marketing.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I’m picturing something like this. It would attach to a rack on the roof and a rack on the bed. Wonder how much it would help range via aerodynamics?
DDD38A3F-6CE9-498A-B29B-63BAFA2BEBD8.jpeg
Not much. The front of that trailer (as with most camper trailers) is curved already. The reason semis have those deflectors is to counter the trailer's perfectly vertical front wall. If you were towing a tall box trailer with no front curve, that type of fairing might help a little.

Sponsored

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Thanks for posting. It is good to get real world examples. I have always thought that distance towing with any large, boxy trailer is not going to be practical with any EV. I've towed a lot with ICE vehicles and the pop-up trailer gave much less of a mileage hit than a cargo trailer of the same weight (~3,000 lbs). The amount of hit will be largely dependent on trailer aerodynamics first and weight second. Here are a couple of videos that might be of interest to anyone who is thinking about towing with an EV:

- from Two Bit da Vinci, goes into formulas and why trailering has a large impact on range

- from Out of Spec, comparing trailer shape and weight impact on range (hint, shape is more important than weight)
That's great thanks for doing. If you, out of spec, ever do more please consider doing with dual axel trailer, some non-aero form factor ie RV with and with-out weight being the variable. As you just did in this video, you had two variables vs one: weight and drag?
Dirty_B

Last edited:
OP
OP
DannyC

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Adding that we have to backup a hill (yes in reverse) to get into our driveway. It is a pretty steep hill maybe a 6 or 7% grade. My old RAM 1500 with a HEMI would struggle up this hill and sometimes overheat going backwards. The Rivian makes it easy like there is nothing behind it!

The 900+ foot pounds of instant torque vs a gas engine that does has less than half that and only at higher RPMs. Plus the torque converter and transmission have to work a lot harder. No driveline on the R1T. Such a simple drivetrain!

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
Trailer is about 7000 pounds (guessing with everything in it) and is a 33" aluminum frame travel trailer.
33 inches seems small for a travel trailer! 😁
Sponsored