SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We Have purchased one of the 21" spares that EV Sportline had a few weeks ago. I am now attempting to install it and have encountered a problem. I am trying to remove the stupid blocker plastic pieces that Rivian installed in the spare tire area on my R1T. I put a socket on the bolt holding the plastic in place. I can turn the bolt, but it does not come out. Is there a trick to getting it out? My first thought was there is a nut on the end of the bolt that I am spinning. SuEllyn crawled under the truck but cannot see any access under there. Thank you for your help.

Brian
Sponsored

swflor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 R1T, 23 R1S, 23 RR LWB, 21 Yukon XL
Occupation
Executive
Clubs

Have you tried gently pulling up as you back out the bolt? This worked for me…or it was a mind game. The bolt is into a fixed nut in the bed that the shaft would screw into for the spare tire holder.

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Have you tried gently pulling up as you back out the bolt? This worked for me…or it was a mind game. The bolt is into a fixed nut in the bed that the shaft would screw into for the spare tire holder.
No, we did not try that. We will go back out there and give that a shot. Thank you so much.

Brian

swflor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Executive
Clubs

No, we did not try that. We will go back out there and give that a shot. Thank you so much.

Brian
Don't thank me yet. Being its a fixed nut int he bed, hopefully the nut isn't spinning. I am unable to use the side anchors in my bed because as soon as I tried to put a screw in one the weld broke ont he nut for 3 of them...this nut is tack welded into the bed rails....they are all one piece so in order to fix it, the bed rails would need to be replaced. Not sure if Rivian will warranty them or not since I tried to screw something aftermarket into the bed.....will investigate that more at a later time.

Good luck!

swflor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Executive
Clubs

Worse case, you could cut the plastic dividers out if you aren't planning to bolt the spare down?? I dont think they move as I have a spare in one of my trucks that I never bolded down cause I didn't get the parts.

Sponsored

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
It takes a lot of turns. I was there forever.