Sponsored

R1T size feedback?

Trucks101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford f150
Hey guys.

I am researching a R1T and wanted to get a feel for the size. I have seen it in person.

I'm coming from a Tacoma but now have a F-150 that is too big for me.

Mainly interested inside the car. Any issues fitting 3 kids in the back seat comfortably?
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I've had 3 adults back there several times. For cross country trips probably not, but it's certainly doable for everyday. It would be tight or impossible with 3 car seats though.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Definitely smaller than the F150. I have seen chatter of some folks making three car seats work but I agree that it would be tight. If it was a booster and two car seats, maybe. Also I could see how a rear-facing might dovetail with a front facing next to it. Best bet is to test it out during your test drive.

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
Sold my Lightning and kept the Rivian. Live/work in the city and the Rivian is a much better size for me. Not as spacious on the interior for longer trips, but probably very comparable to a Tocoma.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Definitely more Tacoma. It feels longer than my old 4runner for sure. Length is I think between a standard bed and 6ft bed crew cab Tacoma.

Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It’s dimensionally larger than a Tacoma and smaller than a F150. It feels and maneuvers more like a midsize truck than a full size truck. Three kids could definitely fit in the backseat if they aren’t all in car seats.

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
I've also fit child 3 carseats (ages 3-6) in the back for an outing with my niece, nephew and son. They are all full size and all fit, although buckling them all in took some maneuvering.

OP
OP

Trucks101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford f150
Thanks. I have 1 booster and 1 car seat but both are close to transitioning out of those.

Bmitch24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I haven't driven a Tacoma in 15 years so I cant make a direct comparison there, but I drove an F150 just prior to my R1T and occasionally drive one for work. I doubt you find the truck too small unless you are road tripping with 3 kids in the back. Kid separation is key for success on the road.

Interior
The inside of the truck is significantly smaller than an F150. Rear seat width will accommodate three children, but three adults will be uncomfortable. Leg room is even more restricted relative to the F150. The ability to store items in the gear tunnel and in the frunk have completely eliminated kid junk storage in the interior so my two actually claim to have more space than they did before. But when we have do have three back there, they don't complain at all, but don't have any real space to themselves either. We have only done that for short drives. Long drives with extra kids, we take my wife's Palisade with 2nd row buckets and pop up the 3rd row.

Exterior
While the truck has the same exterior width as an F150, the shorter turning radius makes it drive much smaller. Also, because of the truck geometry and shorter rear doors, it is easier to get in and out of in smaller parking spaces. The bed is pretty short, but will easily accommodate 4x8 sheet goods or 20-25 bags of mulch.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Thanks. I have 1 booster and 1 car seat but both are close to transitioning out of those.
You should be good. We've had (3) adults in the back and they're comfortable. Legroom is good.

Rivian gave us a Ram 1500 as a loaner when we were in for service. That was a boat to drive around compared to the R1T. Our neighbor has a Tacoma and the R1T is definitely bigger.

I've been driving SUVs for 25 years and the R1T's length has take some getting used to. With that said, it's easy to maneuver, especially with the cameras.

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Hey guys.

I am researching a R1T and wanted to get a feel for the size. I have seen it in person.

I'm coming from a Tacoma but now have a F-150 that is too big for me.

Mainly interested inside the car. Any issues fitting 3 kids in the back seat comfortably?
Borrowed from the Fully Charged Rivian LA Autoshow clip
The model of F150 they list is called out wrong, but the sizing and proportions are still correct.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T size feedback? Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 10-34-48 (18) Rivian - Electric Adventure Vehicle Fully Charged - You

Edit*

While the width of both the F150 and R1t are nearly identical, The Rivian tapers inward as you move up toward the passenger compartment. Resulting in the Rivian being more narrow internally than the EFF-One-Five-Oh

Last edited:

rivbran

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Nearly same width as a new Honda Ridgeline and 7 inches longer. Bed is a tad shorter than the Honda, but the front and rear seating areas just a bit larger.
Sponsored