First Name
Trevor Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport svr
Occupation
Senior Engineer
I love the design of the R1T and one thing that would knock it out of the park would be automatic retracting running boards. In concert with the self leveling air suspension the powered retracting running boards I could imagine the Rivian phone app with the touch of a button allowing me to have the car in the low ride entry height position with the running boards presented for easy ingress and egress. I will present some photos of modern trucks that have the power retracting running boards.
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Retracting running boards PLEASE 54E92482-8675-47AF-9EF7-3811834875B2
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Retracting running boards PLEASE 90CA77A3-1B82-40CC-8384-3A0E9262DE91
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Retracting running boards PLEASE 29BEE74D-F8C3-412B-9BE5-CFB240348A66
Sponsored

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

I have power running boards on my Expedition and while I initially thought they were a nice touch, I've found them to be more troublesome than beneficial. When I have an unfamiliar passenger ride with me, more often than not, they knock their shins on the boards prior to stepping in, or slip off of them when they exit the vehicle. My vehicle has an option to have them fully extended full-time, but I find that to extend too far from the vehicle on a full time basis for my liking.

As far as the Rivian, I’ve heard, but can’t confirm, that the vehicle will have a “kneel” mode to allow easy access when parked. I would assume this would eliminate the need for any type of running board, unless you want them for aesthetics.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I really dislike the looks of running boards even though an occasional passenger might benefit from having them available. I had'em on my 4Runner and didn't have'm on my Land Cruiser, and I know both cases. Aesthetically and even for light off-roading, retractable or not, they're in the way. But if folks want to add them, as optional equipment, that's their choice. Please don't make them standard equipment, however.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Early on and to a degree I still do wonder if Rivian will offer running boards as an option and will they go as far as having an option for them to retract. They might but I would not be surprised if they don't. Rivian may decide they're not needed with the available kneel (or park) mode on both EAVs that will lower the height to 7.9" for the R1T and 8.1" for the R1S. And perhaps they were thinking (or got feedback?) they would just get beat up too much for an off-road vehicle.

None the less I find them useful. My current SUV has fixed running boards as did my previous SUV. I actually use them more than I thought I would for accessing the roof whether it be gear, washing/drying or knocking off the snow, but more importantly they provide easier vehicle access for my elder passengers where entering/exiting a vehicle is not as easy as it once was.

Jemel

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I would also like the option, or at least mounting points for after market running boards or sliders.

I installed sliders in my old 4Runner and they had mixed opinions by passengers. Some liked them, some didn’t. They were useful for accessing the roof, and for getting in and out to those who were used to them.

But they saved my vehicle many times in the icy weather I’ve been in. I remember one specific incident where I lost control on a bad patch of black ice, but retained enough control so I hit the tree against the sliders. Zero damage. The other form of protection comes in the form of “parking lot armor” - not so much as a scratch in the 6 years I owned it! My Model 3 on the other hand looks like it’s been through several war zones in less than two years...

As for automatic or not, while I think auto may be better aesthetically, it’s another thing to break and more costly to fix than their fixed counterparts. Also, if done properly they can add to the aesthetic, though that isn’t always easy to do.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bronzewealth

First Name
Trevor Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport svr
Occupation
Senior Engineer
The power retracting running boards just add that extra touch of luxury and utility, especially when the mirrors unfold, air suspension and running boards lower in concert.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I have power running boards on my Expedition and while I initially thought they were a nice touch, I've found them to be more troublesome than beneficial.
Same experience with an F150 I had. I learned after a busted shin or two, but had problems with many other passengers (customers, coworkers). In fact, my wife HATED them and regularly forgot about them when distracted with children or other things...apparently me chuckling & asking "how many times is it going to take before you learn" was not helpful to the situation, either.

Kneel mode should be more than enough for me, but I do like the idea of mounting availability/system for those that opt for running boards or sliders.

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
If they are available, you should have the options of Auto, Off and Extended. I leave the Navigator set to Auto most of the time. Having the other options are valuable at times. The extended option leaves the running boards out until you hit 5 mph and then switch to Auto.

StevieD

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM Longhorn, Cancelled R1T Reservation
Occupation
Retired - Living the Dream!
I love the design of the R1T and one thing that would knock it out of the park would be automatic retracting running boards. In concert with the self leveling air suspension the powered retracting running boards I could imagine the Rivian phone app with the touch of a button allowing me to have the car in the low ride entry height position with the running boards presented for easy ingress and egress. I will present some photos of modern trucks that have the power retracting running boards.
54E92482-8675-47AF-9EF7-3811834875B2.jpeg
90CA77A3-1B82-40CC-8384-3A0E9262DE91.jpeg
29BEE74D-F8C3-412B-9BE5-CFB240348A66.jpeg
Love it on my 2019 RAM Longhorn also along with the handholds for entry.

Sponsored

downranger12

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist
I am on my second Nissan Frontier Pro 4x which has 210K and it is running really smooth. The fixed running boards on this second one have reduced rock chipping of the rear fender paint to almost zero. My first was white without the running boards and suffered mightily because of it.
I pre ordered in early February 2019. My Frontiers have been extremely reliable and mine will no doubt run well past my R1T delivery. It costs me about 45 dollars to go 300 miles with the Nissan. Not sure, but I think the R1T will do 300 miles, buying electricity at retail, for about $4.50. Not even considering servicing with oil changes etc. the Rivian could save me 40 thousand over ten years of driving 25K per year.
I could be off...my math is not so good....getting one anyway.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

If I recall the car has a load mode for passenger/car ingress and egress so running boards won't be even needed as the car will use air suspension to lower it self. Besides that subtracts from ground clearance.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I have had running boards on my trucks for 13+ years. My Ram has Amp retractable steps and the jeep is a slider. I have never had anyone hit their shins or even once complain about them. In fact, they are one of the items I get the most compliments about. My Amp steps tuck up out of the way when retracted. You don't know they are there until they are deployed. Hopefully, Amp Research will come out with an aftermarket step if Rivian doesn't offer it as an option.

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
Power running boards are a must have for me. I'm sure someone will make them aftermarket if Rivian doesn't. Would 100% prefer buying from the factory though.

I'm 6' 5" and don't need them, but all of my shorty friends do when getting in my Tundra.