Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Truck: 2023 Quad Motor R1T, 20" AT package
Mods: Roof Top Tent, Tonneau, full of camping gear, 2 people

> Drove 1605 Miles
> Used 886 kWh (1.81 mi/kWh)
> Cost was $312

Rally Mode is awesome! We camped out in Hurricane, UT and the washboard roads were smooth and fun with Rally Mode on. Our friend's Jeep GC in comparison was dreadful. Also got to kick the rear end out and power drift on the open sections. So good! I found a few hills to climb on and the truck went everywhere easily.

Head turner when rolling down the Vegas Strip and it always surprises me how many people still don't know what a Rivian is. "who makes it" is still a regular question and they always look impressed. Vegas RAN is a treat when rolling through.

Cruising on the highway was mostly Conserve mode, Low, Firm ride settings. I find the ride to be anywhere from Great to just OK, depending on the road and speed. Sometimes I use Soft or Medium on the suspension for a bit more comfort, but the extra body motion usually pushes me back to Firm.

At speed, which in the Southwest is roughly 80mph, I averaged around 1.8 mi/kwh. This was understandable given my tent was hurting aero being over the bed, but it still achieved EPA MPGe highway mileage.

I calculated a comparison to gasoline and the results are interesting. The cost on a road trip to charge averaged around $0.39/kWh at fast chargers so doing a calculation based on cost per mile equates to a lowly 16mpg using US Average gas pricing. It goes up considerably using California gas prices. My actual costs were a bit lower because EA gave me a freebie and I also got some other charging on the side.

Happy to be back home where I don't have to deal with public charging for daily needs like last week. The charging situation in St. George area and Santa Barbara were both extremely poor. Thankfully there were several RAN chargers to get me to Vegas and back. The Buttonwillow > Barstow > Vegas RAN experience was mostly positive other than a busy weekend in Barstow and 3 chargers down which formed a line quickly.

I could not drive my R1T from St. George out to Horseshoe Bend because there are zero CCS chargers to get me back, luckily my friend had room. Still a long way to go on charging infrastructure and the Supercharger Access should help (I wonder if the chargers in Page AZ are open to Rivian).

Awesome to camp in this thing. Auto-Level is always a treat and SO NICE to not have to worry about being completely flat. Coffee maker brewing on the gear tunnel door each morning, gobs of storage, so much to like here!

Cheers!

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Rally Mode - Zion - Vegas - 1,605 Mile Trip - 886 kWh - $312 1710892110819-t7

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Rally Mode - Zion - Vegas - 1,605 Mile Trip - 886 kWh - $312 utah-rivian

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Rally Mode - Zion - Vegas - 1,605 Mile Trip - 886 kWh - $312 horseshoebend

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Rally Mode - Zion - Vegas - 1,605 Mile Trip - 886 kWh - $312 Camping Setu

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Rally Mode - Zion - Vegas - 1,605 Mile Trip - 886 kWh - $312 thedrivein

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Rally Mode - Zion - Vegas - 1,605 Mile Trip - 886 kWh - $312 vegasran

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Rally Mode - Zion - Vegas - 1,605 Mile Trip - 886 kWh - $312 sunset
Sponsored

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Love the photos! That first one is so good, it could be a press photo! Where exactly did you take that? Seems like a very fun road to drive on.

OP
OP
MXA121

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Love the photos! That first one is so good, it could be a press photo! Where exactly did you take that? Seems like a very fun road to drive on.
Thanks! That's a dirt road that connects Hwy 9 in Springdale and Hwy 59 in Apple Valley, Bridge road is the upper point and Main St is the south end. Great camping out that way.

OP
OP
MXA121

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Great photos! I was just in Page and unfortunately the Tesla station is v2 so not going to be usable until it gets upgraded. Fortunately there are a number of hotels with L2 charging if you have time to stay overnight
Yeah I did see a Yellow R1T headed out there in the evening, must have done a Hotel stay. I'm guessing you could get up to Monument Valley with enough L2 charging.

Sponsored

canyonero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yeah I did see a Yellow R1T headed out there in the evening, must have done a Hotel stay. I'm guessing you could get up to Monument Valley with enough L2 charging.
Thereā€™s a semi-fast (free!) ChargePoint DC charger in Bluff, UT that would get you back from monument valley. I came from Denver and made that stretch no problem.

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
Great scenery! Thanks for sharing.

AA_Rivian_Socal

First Name
Alaa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green R1T Adv. / BM / 20 AT
Occupation
management
Clubs

roads and scenery looks amazing. would you be able to share route and roads for this trip?

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Truck: 2023 Quad Motor R1T, 20" AT package
Mods: Roof Top Tent, Tonneau, full of camping gear, 2 people

> Drove 1605 Miles
> Used 886 kWh (1.81 mi/kWh)
> Cost was $312

Rally Mode is awesome! We camped out in Hurricane, UT and the washboard roads were smooth and fun with Rally Mode on. Our friend's Jeep GC in comparison was dreadful. Also got to kick the rear end out and power drift on the open sections. So good! I found a few hills to climb on and the truck went everywhere easily.

Head turner when rolling down the Vegas Strip and it always surprises me how many people still don't know what a Rivian is. "who makes it" is still a regular question and they always look impressed. Vegas RAN is a treat when rolling through.

Cruising on the highway was mostly Conserve mode, Low, Firm ride settings. I find the ride to be anywhere from Great to just OK, depending on the road and speed. Sometimes I use Soft or Medium on the suspension for a bit more comfort, but the extra body motion usually pushes me back to Firm.

At speed, which in the Southwest is roughly 80mph, I averaged around 1.8 mi/kwh. This was understandable given my tent was hurting aero being over the bed, but it still achieved EPA MPGe highway mileage.

I calculated a comparison to gasoline and the results are interesting. The cost on a road trip to charge averaged around $0.39/kWh at fast chargers so doing a calculation based on cost per mile equates to a lowly 16mpg using US Average gas pricing. It goes up considerably using California gas prices. My actual costs were a bit lower because EA gave me a freebie and I also got some other charging on the side.

Happy to be back home where I don't have to deal with public charging for daily needs like last week. The charging situation in St. George area and Santa Barbara were both extremely poor. Thankfully there were several RAN chargers to get me to Vegas and back. The Buttonwillow > Barstow > Vegas RAN experience was mostly positive other than a busy weekend in Barstow and 3 chargers down which formed a line quickly.

I could not drive my R1T from St. George out to Horseshoe Bend because there are zero CCS chargers to get me back, luckily my friend had room. Still a long way to go on charging infrastructure and the Supercharger Access should help (I wonder if the chargers in Page AZ are open to Rivian).

Awesome to camp in this thing. Auto-Level is always a treat and SO NICE to not have to worry about being completely flat. Coffee maker brewing on the gear tunnel door each morning, gobs of storage, so much to like here!

Cheers!

1710892110819-t7.png

utah-rivian.jpg

horseshoebend.jpg

Camping Setup.jpg

thedrivein.jpg

vegasran.jpg

sunset.jpg
That sounds like fun (except for the charging). Do you have a CCS to NACS adapter on the way? Itā€™ll make that much easier next time.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Thanks for sharing. What a wonderful trip! The photos are amazing. You should send to Rivian. This is why I came to America!

So, I could watch someone else taking brilliant trips!

Sponsored

Ottoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 QM
Occupation
Engineer
awesome photos and nice setup!

I did an LA-ZION-Flagstaff-Tucsan loop a few years ago, Horseshoe bend is a sight to behold.

Definately taking advantage of that rigs capabilities

GANTZ

First Name
Orlando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, Tesla, Lexus
Occupation
Yes
Great post Iā€™ve been try to read all the good and bad trips that this forum post. To be honest Iā€™ve been waiting for the Tesla network to available for long trips. Done some small 300 mi trips and I wasnā€™t happy with the 3rd party public networks. I think one of them still owes me $22 you know who you are
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Rally Mode - Zion - Vegas - 1,605 Mile Trip - 886 kWh - $312 IMG_1110

OP
OP
MXA121

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
That sounds like fun (except for the charging). Do you have a CCS to NACS adapter on the way? Itā€™ll make that much easier next time.
Rivian says they will ship me one, s00n šŸ˜€
But in the most difficult areas I encountered there aren't many Tesla chargers either.

roads and scenery looks amazing. would you be able to share route and roads for this trip?
I attached a basic map of where I was out in Utah/Arizona. EA charger near St.George. Camped near Gooseberry Mesa, dirt road connects Hwy 59 and 9.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Rally Mode - Zion - Vegas - 1,605 Mile Trip - 886 kWh - $312 Screenshot_20240320-194617

Chainspell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GTPE, R2 Reserved
Great photos! There are AC and DC chargers in Kanab, UT; I used to get from St. George to Page. They are slower but were in good condition. I camped out around there so it worked out well.

OP
OP
MXA121

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Great post Iā€™ve been try to read all the good and bad trips that this forum post. To be honest Iā€™ve been waiting for the Tesla network to available for long trips. Done some small 300 mi trips and I wasnā€™t happy with the 3rd party public networks. I think one of them still owes me $22 you know who you are
IMG_1110.jpeg
Yeah I hear ya, but it's a mixed result. I would go for the road trip anyway!

Example 1: in Barstow, the Rivian charger is there, but Tesla opened up a 70 charger station to Rivian. Benefit if the RAN is full. (On a weekday I was the only one there, weekend was busy)

Example 2: Santa Barbara I had to use a busy and 3/4 functioning EA charger. Tesla notably did Not open their Santa Barbara chargers to Rivian. They instead opened one much further West. (The EA charger is hidden just behind the grayed out Tesla one)

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Rally Mode - Zion - Vegas - 1,605 Mile Trip - 886 kWh - $312 Screenshot_20240320-195627

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Rally Mode - Zion - Vegas - 1,605 Mile Trip - 886 kWh - $312 Screenshot_20240320-195315
Sponsored