Sponsored

R1T Critical Battery Failure/Rear Drive Unit Replacement?

WalleMaxR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Contractor
Hi,
Wanted to share the sad story of my monday afternoon adventure to the grocery store in my new (only 2,329 miles!) R1T performance dual motorawd/max pack. I was turning into the parking lot when the "critical battery failure" alert appeared. I managed to drive about halfway into the nearest parking space before the rear wheels locked and everything died. The first tow truck Rivian dispatched was unable to tow a Rivian (sigh) but the second tow managed to successfully deliver my truck to El Segundo SC and apparently into the future. My Rivian app shows the vehicle arrived on March 7, 2024 (it was January 29th).

I will just say that interacting with my assigned service advisor has been challenging. I would prefer a more transparent and timely manner of communication than I have experienced so far.

Apparently, the problem was a short in a wire harness which caused a critical failure in the rear drive unit/assembly??? They are replacing the wire harness and the rear drive unit/assembly. I do not understand how this resulted in a "critical battery failure" alert. I am struggling to accept "It's just a giant computer" as a sufficient explanation.

The list of service items continues to grow, which I'm afraid is a very bad sign. No eta on when the repairs will be completed (or even started) as the parts have yet to arrive.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Critical Battery Failure/Rear Drive Unit Replacement? image000000-4
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Critical Battery Failure/Rear Drive Unit Replacement? IMG_1791
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Critical Battery Failure/Rear Drive Unit Replacement? IMG_1796.PNG
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Critical Battery Failure/Rear Drive Unit Replacement? IMG_1772
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
A few people have been in the same situation and, almost unanimously, they have been made whole again. I have every faith that Rivian will do the same for you.

OP
OP

WalleMaxR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Contractor
Thanks for the kind feedback. I am really hoping this all works because, until this all happened, we have absolutely loved the truck. But I'm not sure I will be able to get behind the wheel without being fearful of another critical failure/ turtle mode incident. What if this happened on the freeway???

It seems they are making good progress on the repair so far although the list of service items is intimidating (please see attached). Are all these things related or did I just have the unfortunate luck of getting a really bad build? Anyone else have a list of things this long that needed attention?
Thanks!

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Critical Battery Failure/Rear Drive Unit Replacement? IMG_1955.PNG

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Critical Battery Failure/Rear Drive Unit Replacement? IMG_1956.PNG

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Thanks for the kind feedback. I am really hoping this all works because, until this all happened, we have absolutely loved the truck. But I'm not sure I will be able to get behind the wheel without being fearful of another critical failure/ turtle mode incident. What if this happened on the freeway???
You would have engaged the hazard lights, and just pulled to the side of the freeway or taken the nearest exit.

OP
OP

WalleMaxR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Contractor
That's the scary part, from the first critical battery warning to when everything died (zero power, zero lights) there were only about 10-15 seconds. In Iight traffic on the freeway it might be possible to pull over that quickly but otherwise it would die in the middle of the freeway with no hazard lights. I think I saw a post on here like that and thankfully everyone ended up okay.

Sponsored

OP
OP

WalleMaxR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Contractor
Update: picked up vehicle yesterday and successfully drove it home where it has been sitting in my driveway in sleep mode. It’s now losing approximately 1% battery now every 6 hours in sleep mode. Arhhhhhhgh
Sponsored