Sponsored

R1T 20" AT Replacement Tires?

Kärsti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, 20' AT tires
Wondering if anyone has experience or info on 20" AT replacement tires.

I've not been super pleased with the Stock Pirelli Scorpions in terms of wear. It took 6 tires to get to 20k miles despite rotations at 5,000 mile intervals, and have had 2 repairable flats. I'll note I've never gotten more than ~25k miles out of tires, so this is perhaps not surprising.

I've been thinking about other options. In the past I have had better tire wear with higher load index tires. The stock Pirelli are 116h, although Discount Tire has the Pirelli Scorpion in both 116h and 126S E1-10ply, AND the 126S are $90 cheaper per tire ($360 vs $449), so this might be an option, or at least a known.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/pirelli-scorpion-all-terrain-plus

Other tires I am considering include the FIRESTONE DESTINATION X/T 126S E1

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/firestone-tire-destination-x-t/p/89716

GOODYEARWRANGLER TRAILRUNNER AT 126S E1

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/goodyear-wrangler-trailrunner-at/p/87728#read-reviews

WRANGLER ULTRATERRAIN AT 126Q E1

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/goodyear-wrangler-ultraterrain-at/p/44200#read-reviews

FALKENWILDPEAK A/T3W 126S E1

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/falken-wildpeak-a-t3w/p/26824

I'd like to maintain the same approximate efficiency. Leaning towards the Wrangler Ultraterrain, but worry about a reduction in efficiency. Wondering what people thoughts are.
Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

<--- Waiting for the Michelin Defender LTX MS2 coming out this winter here.

Almost every car make and model that comes with Pirelli's have left their owners disappointed, not just Rivian. When I bought my 2015 mustang it was a tradition for people to get in the brand new car at the dealership and melt them down in the parking lot with a burnout and then roll it into the shop for them to put something else on.

There are a lot of threads out there with people putting other tires on and being pretty happy. I never bought the Michelin hype for years and had goodyear and BF Goodrich, but then I put Michelin on my wife's Focus and it was like a brand new car. Put them on SUVs and other cars since and they are a huge improvement in all conditions, but especially rain and snow and they last longer so I am quite the fanboy of them now.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Depends on your driving needs. There are lots of options and most have a higher load rating.

A highway tire will probably result in a range increase and smoother ride, at least on the highway. If you look around the forums you will see plenty of experience with other AT tires that are at least similarly efficient.

Keep in mind you can up the pressure with an E load range tire which will help efficiency. I personally have some Nitto Recon Grappler but I spend a lot of time off road, I have not noticed a significant drop in range over the Perrelli ATs but they are a bit louder.

If you look through the forums others have swapped out for the Faulken Wildpeaks you mention, BFG K02s are also popular. Another one to consider is the Toyo Open Country AT3. These are all great if you want to keep the snowflake

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm moving away from AT tires due to noise issues with the Pirelli ATs at 19,000 miles (lots of tread left). Apparently Rivians do great in a lot of offroad scenarios on H/T tires, and my enjoyment of trails are limited by long distances to get said trails due to living in TX. So! I've decided on the Continental TerrainContact H/T and have them scheduled to be installed on this coming Monday. They are the only H/T tires which match Rivian load and speed specs and they are apparently much better than the Michelin Defenders on every metric tested by TireRack ().
I thought about waiting on the Michelin Defender LTX MS2, but the release dates around that are clouded in mystery and I can't bear the noise much longer.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
I'm moving away from AT tires due to noise issues with the Pirelli ATs at 19,000 miles (lots of tread left). Apparently Rivians do great in a lot of offroad scenarios on H/T tires, and my enjoyment of trails are limited by long distances to get said trails due to living in TX. So! I've decided on the Continental TerrainContact H/T and have them scheduled to be installed on this coming Monday. They are the only H/T tires which match Rivian load and speed specs and they are apparently much better than the Michelin Defenders on every metric tested by TireRack ().
I thought about waiting on the Michelin Defender LTX MS2, but the release dates around that are clouded in mystery and I can't bear the noise much longer.
Are you putting on a 275/65R20 or a different size?

Sponsored

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'86 911 Coupe, '23 R1T LE
Occupation
I work for a Tire Company
Clubs

I have had the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3's on since (almost) new. I immediately noticed the truck was much more manageable over bumpy roads and there was little change in highway noise.

I think they're slightly less efficient on long trips than the stock tires as my RivianFi data has shown I get about 94-95% of the rated miles traveled at highway speeds (~70mph). But I also am tonneau-less, don't know how much that contributes.

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
Looking forward to hearing your experience with these.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Good reasons to avoid the TerrainContact in 275/65r20 size:
Weight: 57 pounds (about 10 pounds heavier than OEM)
Width: 8.5" vs 9.1" OEM
A better option is the Destination XT, it's 52# and 9.4" wide, likely get 50k miles from the 16/32" tread.
Sponsored