R1S - Great Value?

mrpl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Occupation
Technology
As features are removed and if the price does not move with those removals; only then can you determine the value. That is to say, what features will it actually have at delivery and what did you actually pay for it?

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I wanted to try to revive this thread since we've gotten a little more info on Rivian and other new BEV and ICE cars.
Are there any other factory production vehicles for sale that can do 0-60 in 3 Sec. for $70K? Seems like any other vehicle with premium interior and sport performance is well over $100K. Then add in the utility and off road capability and newly announced warranty and the $75K adventure pack R1's appear $40K cheaper than the closest competition even before calculating available tax credits.
Anyone have examples of similar performance and refinement in the ballpark of price in any form, ICE, , BEV, sportscar, SUV...?

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Cross post from another thread but I fully agree:

For me I think the R1S in this case cannot be really compared to anything except maybe SUV's below:

-Dodge Durango Hellcat ( 3 Rows W/ Similar Power)
-Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
-Range Rover
-Posche Cayenne
-Tesla Model X
-Defender 110 (just not powerful)

Out of all of them, if you compare everything the R1S in terms of pricing its a freaking bargain at least when it comes to Hauling 6/7 people (Easily, not tight like most cars listed above), Power Specs, Off Road Performance and Pricing.

You can get Performance from Tesla for 100k+.
You can get off road performance from Range Rover 100k+

You can't get both for starting at 70k and maxing out around 80's with some nice wheels.

SRT's would guzzle gas like no other so you can't really compare the 2 as well.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

As I've been thinking more and more about it, I'm thrilled where the pricing came in for the R1S, but want a sanity check from this (albeit biased) board. I originally thought I'd be canceling my R1A reservation since I was certain the first ones would require $100k+ optioning...and obviously I was way off.

While I have every intent of making good on my early Cybertruck reservation as well, other new EVs I've been considering are the Mach E (cancelled my reservation) and the Polestar 2 (never made a reservation).

When I look at where the R1S came in for the launch edition and compare it to both of those, whether First Edition on the Mach E or a well appointed Polestar 2, it feels like the R1S really came in with good value. Yes - it's high $70s...but the Mach E was mid 60's IIRC, and the Polestar 2 loaded is a pretty penny too.

So...R1S - good value or not? Thoughts & opinions?
Biased? No way!
Bargain? Of course it is!?
And I'm a Volvo fan, but I'm not on any Forum over there. RIVIAN RULES! I think the Mach E sounds like a great car, but to me, compared to the R1S, it's just that, a car, or CUV, at best. ("Hey, Buddy, got some spare commas?").

The utility of the R1S appears to be so much higher than those other two vehicles, on top of being an awesome vehicle with so much more bang for the buck. OK, I might stipulate to a little bias...But it is still a bargain!

Sponsored

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Cross post from another thread but I fully agree:

For me I think the R1S in this case cannot be really compared to anything except maybe SUV's below:

-Dodge Durango Hellcat ( 3 Rows W/ Similar Power)
-Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
-Range Rover
-Posche Cayenne
-Tesla Model X
-Defender 110 (just not powerful)

Out of all of them, if you compare everything the R1S in terms of pricing its a freaking bargain at least when it comes to Hauling 6/7 people (Easily, not tight like most cars listed above), Power Specs, Off Road Performance and Pricing.

You can get Performance from Tesla for 100k+.
You can get off road performance from Range Rover 100k+

You can't get both for starting at 70k and maxing out around 80's with some nice wheels.

SRT's would guzzle gas like no other so you can't really compare the 2 as well.
To me, the R1S is in a class by itself. It is the best of the X combined with the best of the Range Rover. I have owned both of those and fully believe the R1S will be uniquely awesome!

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
To me, the R1S is in a class by itself. It is the best of the X combined with the best of the Range Rover. I have owned both of those and fully believe the R1S will be uniquely awesome!
Completely agree...I think Land Rover is in trouble with the R1S and will sway many unsatisfied JLR ($$$repair/poor quality) owners like myself.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I wanted to try to revive this thread since we've gotten a little more info on Rivian and other new BEV and ICE cars.
Are there any other factory production vehicles for sale that can do 0-60 in 3 Sec. for $70K? Seems like any other vehicle with premium interior and sport performance is well over $100K. Then add in the utility and off road capability and newly announced warranty and the $75K adventure pack R1's appear $40K cheaper than the closest competition even before calculating available tax credits.
Anyone have examples of similar performance and refinement in the ballpark of price in any form, ICE, , BEV, sportscar, SUV...?
Trandall,

I think you're spot on! As to your last question, I'll keep it short: No.
Sponsored