Sponsored

R1S - Great Value?

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
As I've been thinking more and more about it, I'm thrilled where the pricing came in for the R1S, but want a sanity check from this (albeit biased) board. I originally thought I'd be canceling my R1A reservation since I was certain the first ones would require $100k+ optioning...and obviously I was way off.

While I have every intent of making good on my early Cybertruck reservation as well, other new EVs I've been considering are the Mach E (cancelled my reservation) and the Polestar 2 (never made a reservation).

When I look at where the R1S came in for the launch edition and compare it to both of those, whether First Edition on the Mach E or a well appointed Polestar 2, it feels like the R1S really came in with good value. Yes - it's high $70s...but the Mach E was mid 60's IIRC, and the Polestar 2 loaded is a pretty penny too.

So...R1S - good value or not? Thoughts & opinions?
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I think it's a very good value. In comparing to similar ICE vehicles i.e. Yukon Denali or Lincoln Navigator, costs are close and that's even before the $7500 tax credit.

Plus you get insane performance, lower maintenance, cheaper "fuel", & possibly more advanced autonomous driving features (without additional cost) included with Driver+ updates.

Of course, we'll have less range than the ICE vehicles & we're placing faith in a brand new company and products...

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I think its extremely good value for what you are getting. The Comparison I would choose is the Tesla Model X performance (or even long range) which starts at 94k/74k equivalent. For that you are getting more KWH (Let's see on Range) 4 Motors, 7 seater ($3,500 option), and a Auto Pilot ($10k Option). The only other thing I would compare it so is a Volvo XC90 with all the bells and whistles which come out to 75k which has a few more options.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Ask whether you can go to a full size spare. I would gladly trade the marginal difference in range for not having to drive on an interstate in the slow lane down hill with trucks passing you because you are speed limited. I had to do that on a 'donut' and it is not an experience that you want to have if you can avoid it.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
As I've been thinking more and more about it, I'm thrilled where the pricing came in for the R1S, but want a sanity check from this (albeit biased) board. I originally thought I'd be canceling my R1A reservation since I was certain the first ones would require $100k+ optioning...and obviously I was way off.

While I have every intent of making good on my early Cybertruck reservation as well, other new EVs I've been considering are the Mach E (cancelled my reservation) and the Polestar 2 (never made a reservation).

When I look at where the R1S came in for the launch edition and compare it to both of those, whether First Edition on the Mach E or a well appointed Polestar 2, it feels like the R1S really came in with good value. Yes - it's high $70s...but the Mach E was mid 60's IIRC, and the Polestar 2 loaded is a pretty penny too.

Agree, all things considered its quite a good value. The ONLY thing currently making me hesitate is the cybertruck reservation I have, and the promise that for the same price as the Rivian, it will have 200 more miles of range plus the bed cover solar for 10-15 miles per day of charge. I am considering overloading this, and getting even a few kWh extra per day when off grid would be very nice to quell range anxiety. The thing about that is, while I could easily fit a couple large lightweight panels on the bed rack, getting that power into the main battery is impossible and very inefficient (solar panel DC- to AC inverter- to charger plugged into j1772- back to dc for Rivian onboard batteries) unless its built into the vehicle systems. But this, even a single 150w panel or so, would at least let the vehicle sit idle and lose your main pack charge state.

Especially camping in cold environments- knowing the KWH draw of the Rivian when its off, when its "idle" and providing campaign power for cooking and a tent heater or something, and the battery loss per day from maintaining itself in subzero temperatures (sure, it would be a graph of consumption required to heat itself vs temp below zero) all would be nice to know.

Sponsored

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Look, I know what you mean, but still...

The R1S is a terrible value. If you absolutely have to have a car, buy a used compact.

Now, for the well-to-do who are going to spend this kind of money regardless of prudent fiscal policy, then yes, it is a good comparative value.

OP
OP
MilliM

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2

The R1S is a terrible value. If you absolutely have to have a car, buy a used compact.

Now, for the well-to-do who are going to spend this kind of money regardless of prudent fiscal policy, then yes, it is a good comparative value.
Very fair point. I should have been more clear about it being relative to the other new options that are out there in EV land ;-)

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

Well said. I feel like we should just pin your response at the top of all value- and finance-related posts. I was just on the leasing thread and while there's a lot of good discussion, it boils down to exactly this. Vehicles in general are depreciating assets, and within that spectrum a brand-new quasi-luxury EV truck/SUV is definitely a faster-depreciating asset. We all want to make sure we're fiscally responsible in life, but at some point we have to accept that we're in it for the thrill of being first movers on this exciting vehicle ... and that we can afford part with our hard-earned money for that privilege.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have deals to find on paper towels.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I think it's a very good value. In comparing to similar ICE vehicles i.e. Yukon Denali or Lincoln Navigator, costs are close and that's even before the $7500 tax credit.

Plus you get insane performance, lower maintenance, cheaper "fuel", & possibly more advanced autonomous driving features (without additional cost) included with Driver+ updates.

Of course, we'll have less range than the ICE vehicles & we're placing faith in a brand new company and products...
Plus a anticipating a remarkable and fun driving experience on and off road.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

From BEV drivers I know: One says, it‘s not a car, it’s a magic carpet, and when she get’s in an ICE vehicle, she says this is a dumb and “dirty” car. Another says, this is the most fun “thing” I have ever owned — it’s a performance version. All agree, that with the updates these are vehicles that get better over time. So back to the value question, which is a great question. I think that by buying a Rivian now we may get double and even triple value for our $$$: 1. A brand new driving experience in the first off-road BEV in history; 2. New and different places you go to in a Rivian; and 3. A challenging learning experience mastering it’s new technologies and capabilities on the road. To drive a Rivian is ”adventure” multiplied 3 times and counting. I have been driving Tesla’s for two years and following the Rivian story from it’s first unveiling and am excited we are so close to launch. In short, buying a Rivian is more an investment than an expenditure — like learning to fly or riding a bike. ?

Sponsored

dmc94

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - GW/FE/20"
Clubs

I'm pleasantly surprised at the price of the R1S. Obviously comparing it to the Model X blows the X out of the water, especially with the $7,500 tax credit. I can't afford the X so instead I was actually comparing the Rivian R1S to the all-new 2021 Grand Cherokee L coming out soon.

The R1S vs. Grand Cherokee L have nearly identical cargo room, legroom, approach and departure angles, and even water fording. Rivian is better in these categories but the Jeep came close. The Grand Cherokee I was looking at was a pretty loaded Overland model and I'm expecting it to cost about $60k MSRP based on the base MSRP Overland price of $55k plus options.

I did a five-year cost comparison (not taking resale value into account) and included gas/electricity, est. maintenance and repairs, and est. insurance cost (although I'm worried the Rivian will cost a ton to insure like a Tesla does so this might raise the overall cost).

Including the tax credit, the Rivian cost only $600 more to run over five years even though it cost $13,800 more up front not including taxes (I went with an R1S Explore in White with off-road package and 21" all-terrain wheels). I also live in OR so we have no sales tax.

I'll pick the Rivian all freaking day at that price.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I’d actually compare the R1S to a Range Rover vs. Cherokee. They have similar looks and performance, and lots of other pluses for the Rivian, not to mention the huge price difference once you factor in the tax credit. No brainer in my mind.

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
As someone who will be coming from a Performance Model X, the R1S is a great value. In my case, we've got a toddler, a 30lb Beagle, and a 65lb Coonhound. Space in the Model X goes fast, thanks to the hatchback body style.

Sure, sleek is sexy and all, but I can't wait for a boxy, high-roof-all-the-way-back proper SUV that I can put 2 dogs AND a stroller in, PLUS...if it's a really long trip, pop a pod on the roof rack.

Then factor in the fact that even with a Max Pack, the R1S I've spec'd out comes out to ~$92,000 before incentives (I'm guessing $10K for Max pack upgrade), and I'll end up paying about $20K less than I laid down for the X...to get more useable cargo space and potentially 90-ish more miles of range.

Then knock off that $7,500 during tax season, and it's quite the bargain.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

As someone who will be coming from a Performance Model X, the R1S is a great value. In my case, we've got a toddler, a 30lb Beagle, and a 65lb Coonhound. Space in the Model X goes fast, thanks to the hatchback body style.

Sure, sleek is sexy and all, xbut I can't wait for a boxy, high-roof-all-the-way-back proper SUV that I can put 2 dogs AND a stroller in, PLUS...if it's a really long trip, pop a pod on the roof rack.

Then factor in the fact that even with a Max Pack, the R1S I've spec'd out comes out to ~$92,000 before incentives (I'm guessing $10K for Max pack upgrade), and I'll end up paying about $20K less than I laid down for the X...to get more useable cargo space and potentially 90-ish more miles of range.

Then knock off that $7,500 during tax season, and it's quite the bargain.
The Performance X drives so comfortably even on the smoother dirt roads here in the mountains, however, it is not an off-road vehicle; It’s a highway dream. As you say the R1S is made for rough treatment, for pets and children, and in its wilderness usage more like the Land Cruiser. Perhaps we should call it a hybrid, part X and part LC, hopefully the best of both! Eager to drive.

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
The Performance X drives so comfortably even on the smoother dirt roads here in the mountains, however, it is not an off-road vehicle; It’s a highway dream. As you say the R1S is made for rough treatment, for pets and children, and in its wilderness usage more like the Land Cruiser. Perhaps we should call it a hybrid, part X and part LC, hopefully the best of both! Eager to drive.
If Rivian can match the ride comfort of a Raven suspension, I think we'll be in good shape.
Sponsored