R1 vs Model S pricing

OP
OP

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
It's like asking, why does a Ferrari cost more than a F250, and why would anyone want the Ferrari?
No, it’s not. A Ferrari is a limited production high performance vehicle. A F250 is not.
The Rivian and the Model S have about the same range and 0-60mph numbers.
Sponsored

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
No, it’s not. A Ferrari is a limited production high performance vehicle. A F250 is not.
The Rivian and the Model S have about the same range and 0-60mph numbers.
...and?

We are going to ignore the key part of my post I see...

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Many manufacturers are no longer making sedans. I wonder why? (not really).
Many manufacturers are no longer making subcompact 5 door hatchbacks, I wonder why?

good false equivalencies. Keep going

OP
OP

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Market segment. It's not a cost issue for the S.

Do you think the EQS and Lucid Air cost that much more to make than the S? The hummer rolls in with a 200kWh battery at $112k or whatever. That's a MUCH larger vehicle than the S with about twice the battery size.

Or, think back to gas vehicles, does a king ranch cost that much more to make than an XLT?
I do think the EQS and Lucid cost more to make than the S because of the quality of materials they use (EQS) and the R&D and technology used (Lucid).
Your comment about the Hummer sort of makes my point. It’s got a larger battery pack so it should logically cost more.
Why doesn’t the Rivian cost more too?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
...and?

We are going to ignore the key part of my post I see...
Well, I don’t know that I would consider Tesla to be “higher end”. Sure, they offer some impressive performance and range numbers. But the examples I’ve looked at all had the usual issues Tesla has a reputation for, i.e., misaligned body panels, door keys that didn’t work right, etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Many manufacturers are no longer making subcompact 5 door hatchbacks, I wonder why?

good false equivalencies. Keep going
Sorry you’re unable to understand my point.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Sorry you’re unable to understand my point.
i get your point, but the comparison is invalid. It’s a pickup truck vs a sedan.

Why would I buy a sectional sofa when I could buy a bed?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I do think the EQS and Lucid cost more to make than the S because of the quality of materials they use (EQS) and the R&D and technology used (Lucid).
Your comment about the Hummer sort of makes my point. It’s got a larger battery pack so it should logically cost more.
Why doesn’t the Rivian cost more too?
I highly doubt the pricing of the EQS is not because of materials.

The Hummer will run from $80k to $112k, which is within the price range of the model S. It's also consistent with the historic pricing of the Hummer (its always been expensive). It also has twice the size of a battery pack than the more expensive S plaid.

The lightning is less expensive (in some trims) than the Rivian.

As several people have said, it's not all about material costs. Or even research. Tesla is charging more *because they can* and the market will support it.

OP
OP

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I highly doubt the pricing of the EQS is not because of materials.

The Hummer will run from $80k to $112k, which is within the price range of the model S. It's also consistent with the historic pricing of the Hummer (its always been expensive). It also has twice the size of a battery pack than the more expensive S plaid.

The lightning is less expensive (in some trims) than the Rivian.

As several people have said, it's not all about material costs. Or even research. Tesla is charging more *because they can* and the market will support it.
Fair enough. And since there’s already a thread about “What if Rivian changes their price”, I won’t delve into the question of how much would folks be willing to pay.
It’s just when I look at the price of the Rivian vs other vehicles of similar performance and range, it seems like a real bargain. Like a too good to be true bargain. So it makes me question where corners might be being cut.
I guess we won’t know for sure until a bunch of preorders get filled and real world testing happens.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
They charge you what you are willing to pay at the higher end of the scale. Tesla now had the model 3, they have no interest in making the S/X mainstream anymore, if you buy one, you gotta pay up. The 3/Y are their bread and butter, like most manufacturers, once their the lineup expands, their pricing shifts. Toyota would much rather sell a bunch of Corollas than 1 Land cruiser, so the price has to factor in because the Land Cruiser is a selective car, if you want one you just get one. You do not shop for a corolla or a camry and end up with a land cruiser.

Rivian is trying to mainstream their brand now, Tesla do not need to anymore.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Fair enough. And since there’s already a thread about “What if Rivian changes their price”, I won’t delve into the question of how much would folks be willing to pay.
It’s just when I look at the price of the Rivian vs other vehicles of similar performance and range, it seems like a real bargain. Like a too good to be true bargain. So it makes me question where corners might be being cut.
I guess we won’t know for sure until a bunch of preorders get filled and real world testing happens.
This is not uncommon. There are plenty of stories where a company had a product thst was struggling, and then they rebranded it to go up market by (basically) just increasing the price and it sold better.

People are weird.

Also, the more apt Tesla comparison to me is with the Model Y performance vs a base R1S. R1S seems like a much better deal then a model Y Performance.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
What enough people are willing to pay. I’m not paying $130k for a car that has lower build quality than any modern car I’ve owned.

yes, that’s yet another dig against Tesla.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Why would someone choose the more expensive S vs the Rivian which has much more versatility and similar performance and luxury specs?(and still qualifies for the fed tax credit)
Because they are not the same type of vehicle.
The S is a four door 5 seat rocket ship.
the RT1 is a small pick up truck.

not the same.

OP
OP

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Because they are not the same type of vehicle.
The S is a four door 5 seat rocket ship.
the RT1 is a small pick up truck.

not the same.
The S does 0-60 in 3.1 seconds.
The R1T does 0-60 in 3 seconds.
Both have four doors and five seats.
Sponsored