First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Business ownet
I ordered prior to the price increase. I was told my R1S would be a 2023 production/delivery. I was recently pushed back to 2024. Does anyone know if Rivian is purposely delaying early orders like mine in the hopes that I get sick of waiting and pull out- so they can get $20k more for the vehicle from someone else?
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Plenty of early pre-order deliveries happening so, no, there is no deliberate attempt to get people to cancel orders. As Rivian informs without any specifics, your location, configuration, and/or pre-order date (none of which you have shared) are at play. Also keep in mind that all R1S deliveries have been pushed back several times but are now ramping up.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I ordered prior to the price increase. I was told my R1S would be a 2023 production/delivery. I was recently pushed back to 2024. Does anyone know if Rivian is purposely delaying early orders like mine in the hopes that I get sick of waiting and pull out- so they can get $20k more for the vehicle from someone else?
If you truly think this is happening you can test pretty easily and at no cost in the long run. This is going to sound like me being a smart ass but I promise you this is what I’d do if I were in your shoes and thought that to be the case.

Log in to your account at Rivian and create a new reservation with a new deposit. See which order gets notified first and…
  • If the later order at the higher price (same config) is ready first then you have documented proof they are doing this. Notify the forum of the shenanigans and then decide what you want to do: proceed with the higher-priced order and then sell/trade-in when the lower-priced order is ready or cancel the higher-priced order and get your $1,000 deposit refunded.
  • If the original order gets notified first then cancel the later order with the higher pricing and get your $1,000 deposit refunded.
Given the lack of transparency with order fulfillment at this point I think anything else is speculation.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

@Caveman21 when you say early order. What do you mean? What’s your order date?

OP
OP

Caveman21

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Business ownet
My order date is 12/4/21. It's an R1S with Adventure, quad motor, large pack, 20" wheels, El Cap, Blck Mtn interior.

@electruck - thanks for your input. I Ask because it's financially logical for them to do that, but poor customer service.

@SoCal Rob - Good idea! I did considered it. In fact, I did the same thing with my new Ford Bronco. Ended up keeping both trucks- my son took the later delivery. But asking all you Rivian people first will give me some perspective before I add a second (competing) order.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
@Caveman21 this speculation has come up here before but with an order date of 12/4/21, you're probably just in the delivery queue where you belong per your pre-order date. My pre-order was 8/2019 and my latest delivery estimate prior to my config change was April-June 2023 (after being pushed back several times from June-July 2022). With a pre-order date more than 2 years after mine, it's not surprising your delivery has pushed into 2024. If you spend some time reading the forums, you will see plenty of R1S deliveries going to folks with late 2018 and early 2019 pre-orders. Also some with more recent reservations than my own but still pre price increase. While from an outside perspective there appears to be a certain element of randomness to vehicle allocation, there is no compelling evidence they are conspiring against you.

Reactions: VSG
OP
OP

Caveman21

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Business ownet
Got it! Thanks for your input.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Unfortunately, but not unexpectedly, the R1S ramp up is just slower than we would all like.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
My order date is 12/4/21. It's an R1S with Adventure, quad motor, large pack, 20" wheels, El Cap, Blck Mtn interior.

@electruck - thanks for your input. I Ask because it's financially logical for them to do that, but poor customer service.

@SoCal Rob - Good idea! I did considered it. In fact, I did the same thing with my new Ford Bronco. Ended up keeping both trucks- my son took the later delivery. But asking all you Rivian people first will give me some perspective before I add a second (competing) order.
I would just hang in there. I have the exact same configuration (except an LE) with reservation placed 18 months before you. I’m literally 8 miles from the Costa Mesa service center and my latest window is Feb/March 23.

If I wanted an R1T, pretty sure I would have had one months ago.

If any consolation, several R1S reservations that were pushed to January/February 23 have been taking delivery this month so they may actually be getting ahead of the latest delivery windows. Keep watching the delivery estimates, they are all supposed to be updating them first month of the quarters (probably towards end of the months) starting in January.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I don't know your proximity to a service center and that seems to factor into things. I live close(ish) to the Costa Mesa service center and reserved an R1S (Adventure, GW/OC, 20" AT, underbody shield) in April of 2021 and changed to GW/FE after the change to black stained wood for OC. This gave me an April-June 2023 delivery window as of the last update. Following a visit to the Venice Hub, I changed to RC/OC this weekend and hope to have a revised window in January.
Sponsored