Preconditioning the Battery for DC Fast Charging can make big difference

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
Preconditioning can make a dramatic difference.

I needed to charge up from 78% to 95% at a 62.5 kW ChargePoint station.

Charging started about 19 kw. nI assumed that reflected mostly the fact that the vehicle was already charged at nearly 80%.

Then preconditioning kicked in and heated the battery.

Charge rate gradually rose to above 55 kW -- near the charger's maximum rating.

It appears that extra minutes of preconditioning on the road will save time in the long run.

I suspect even a little bit of unnecessary driving might save time compared to not preconditioning.

I'd love to see the comments of more experienced Rivian owners!
Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

One thing I noticed and maybe others can chime in but It sure started eating on my range on one of the long trips I had pulling a trailer. Enough so that I canceled it the next two times to make sure I could make it to the charger. This was a while ago and towing and the range estimates have gotten better now.

sagebrush2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
2 tips:
Always put your DCFC destination into your nav system, then the vehicle will turn on
pre-conditioning if needed.

If you are coming to your destination and need a charge, it is usually better to charge right away, instead of waiting until the next day. Especially if it is cold outside. You let the battery cool down and you will spend a lot more time at the charger getting the battery ready, but if you head to the charger right as you get to your destination, it will have plenty of time to pre-condition.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

What was your battery temp at the start? I've noticed if you have Regen Braking Assist turned on that it won't warm up the battery intentionally unless it is really cold. Better for short trips efficiency for sure, but longer trips with a lot of stop and go, and you will be DC charging, then it's a disadvantage.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
What was your battery temp at the start? I've noticed if you have Regen Braking Assist turned on that it won't warm up the battery intentionally unless it is really cold. Better for short trips efficiency for sure, but longer trips with a lot of stop and go, and you will be DC charging, then it's a disadvantage.
Battery was probably around 55 F. And I'd only been driving for about ten miles, without any thought of preconditioning. Now I know at least somewhat better.

Apparently I don't have to set the navigation to the charger I actually plan to use. Just to a charger that's geographically pretty close to the charger I plan to use. Preferably a charger that I'll pass before I get to the one I'm going to. Am I on the right track with this?

"Regen Braking Assist"? Is that the same as "High Regen"?

Thanks and best wishes!

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
Battery was probably around 55 F. And I'd only been driving for about ten miles, without any thought of preconditioning. Now I know at least somewhat better.

Apparently I don't have to set the navigation to the charger I actually plan to use. Just to a charger that's geographically pretty close to the charger I plan to use. Preferably a charger that I'll pass before I get to the one I'm going to. Am I on the right track with this?

"Regen Braking Assist"? Is that the same as "High Regen"?

Thanks and best wishes!
I’ve put almost 30k miles on my R1S over the last 12 months, with mostly Level 3 charging, and it’s clear that the battery needs to be at least 72 degrees to charge at its max capabilities (215 kw). If at 68 degrees, for example, then it takes a few minutes of Level 3 charging for it to heat up enough to charge near its max kw.

When I’ve let my car sit outside overnight (or longer), in temperatures just in the 40s, and then take it to even a level 2 charger, it won’t charge because the battery is too cold.

Similar experiences as with my 2014 Tesla S, for the many years prior to delivery of my Rivian. And now also with my Taiga snowmobile.

shicks

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Landscaping
Clubs

Longer trips it helps too. The preconditioning will work to cool the battery. I've watched it go from the 90s to the 60s with 10 miles.
Sponsored